Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] Software revision? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] Software revision? (/showthread.php?tid=46019)

Pages: 1 2

[AppleTV] Software revision? - SecretSquirrel - 2009-02-25

A post over at the Apple forums suggests there may be a minor software revision - guess it may be a case of disabling updates until we know more!

- davilla - 2009-02-25

So far, it looks harmless. No major changes, IR is reported to be more resposive.

- roydonaldson - 2009-02-25

Is it safe to apply it as an update to an aTV already running Atlantis ?

Roy.

- XBMC4Ever - 2009-02-25

Posted as 2.3.1 ... but as per
http://www.appletvhacks.net/2009/02/25/apple-tv-software-update-231-available/
they claim " ... version 2.3.1 breaks all the third party add-ons for the Apple TV as Boxee and will break functionality for most of the applications ... "

EDIT: clarified "breaks" via other posts ... all other sites report, as usual, that the 2.3.1 update wipes out the aTV system so one simply needs to re-patchstick, etc etc to bring it back to life ... but no reports of "can't so something" after the update.

- davilla - 2009-02-25

XBMC4Ever Wrote:Posted as 2.3.1 ... but as per
http://www.appletvhacks.net/2009/02/25/apple-tv-software-update-231-available/
they claim " ... version 2.3.1 breaks all the third party add-ons for the Apple TV as Boxee and will break functionality for most of the applications ... "

EDIT: clarified "breaks" via other posts ... all other sites report, as usual, that the 2.3.1 update wipes out the aTV system so one simply needs to re-patchstick, etc etc to bring it back to life ... but no reports of "can't so something" after the update.

appletvhacks is wrong. it's a minor update and we have not seen any 3rd party add-on breakage.

- marknewt - 2009-02-26

I upgraded after reading this post saying that it was not a problem. I am have not yet tried to reinstall the patch stick but the upgrade did wipe out my 3rd party add ins.

Xbmc atv - cordeiro - 2009-02-26

marknewt Wrote:I upgraded after reading this post saying that it was not a problem. I am have not yet tried to reinstall the patch stick but the upgrade did wipe out my 3rd party add ins.

Hi,

I upgraded to 2.3.1 and re-patch my ATV and re-installed XBMC.
In my case I can not launch XBMC ( I have the latest Combo launcher version).
A few seconds after trying to launch XBMC the ATV returns to the 'usual' menu screen.
I'll try more tests but at least for me it seems that 2.3.1 breaked XBMC.

- XBMC4Ever - 2009-02-26

We're good .. did a nuke 'n pave.
Running 2.3.1 , re-patched with patchstick updated with 2.3.1 boot.efi
Launcher 0.9 (updated to combo 2.3, then back down to 0.9)
Snagged 8.10 bf1
All good so far !

Restoring UserData right now Smile

EDIT .. oh well ... userdata didn't seem to restore as well as we had hoped.

BUT I can say that XBMC launches fine and I can run through manual setup again for sources.
Will keep y'all posted...

- davilla - 2009-02-26

marknewt Wrote:I upgraded after reading this post saying that it was not a problem. I am have not yet tried to reinstall the patch stick but the upgrade did wipe out my 3rd party add ins.

Apple atv updates always wipe anything installed on osboot. That the way it works, been that way from day one. But userdata is on media, so just re-patch and re-install xbmc and life will be good again.

- davilla - 2009-02-26

cordeiro Wrote:Hi,

I upgraded to 2.3.1 and re-patch my ATV and re-installed XBMC.
In my case I can not launch XBMC ( I have the latest Combo launcher version).
A few seconds after trying to launch XBMC the ATV returns to the 'usual' menu screen.
I'll try more tests but at least for me it seems that 2.3.1 breaked XBMC.

I'm going to start up my versions rant again Sad

"re-patch my ATV and re-installed XBMC", I don't see anything about updating the Launcher first which is ALWAYS the very first thing you should do.

- XBMC4Ever - 2009-02-26

It's all good .. although I'm no good at backing up/restoring userdata.
Always worked for me with XBox but never with aTV.

So ... I re-config'd my aTV XBMC setup manually.

But .. other than that ... it's all back to normal .. time zone, etc etc.

So 2.3.1 is fine other than the fun of re-installing everything from scratch again Smile

- SecretSquirrel - 2009-02-26

Davilla

I think I'm correct in assuming I would need to re-create the patchstick and not use an older one ?

SoftwraeMenu got installed with the last patchstick I made, but was non-functional - someone mentioned there were problems witht it with 2.3.

Is SoftwareMenu still in the patchstick or wasit to be removed.

I may of course be completely confused and wrong!

Thanks.

- cordeiro - 2009-02-26

davilla Wrote:I'm going to start up my versions rant again Sad

"re-patch my ATV and re-installed XBMC", I don't see anything about updating the Launcher first which is ALWAYS the very first thing you should do.

Well, yes updating the Launcher it was exactly what I did first.
As it seems I was the only one having problems launching XBMC I re-installed everything again and this time I previously did a factory restore and now XBMC seems to work smoothly.

I don't know if there's a significant diffference between updating normally from 2.3 to 2.3.1 or making a factory restore before but worked for me.

Thx

JĂșlio

- XBMC4Ever - 2009-02-26

SecretSquirrel Wrote:Davilla

I think I'm correct in assuming I would need to re-create the patchstick and not use an older one ?

SoftwraeMenu got installed with the last patchstick I made, but was non-functional - someone mentioned there were problems witht it with 2.3.

Is SoftwareMenu still in the patchstick or wasit to be removed.

Yep .. SoftwareMenu is still in the Patchstick .. and yes, it hasn't worked since aTV O/S 2.3. Just ignore it and hide it after you're back up and running by renaming the SoftwareMenu.frappliance to SoftwareMenu.frappliance.old.

Althought I manually made a new patchstick based on 2.3.1, the 2.3 patchstick still works fine as well.

- SecretSquirrel - 2009-02-28

Thanks for the info.