Kodi Community Forum
Smoothvideo branch - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Smoothvideo branch (/showthread.php?tid=46091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- ashlar - 2009-04-29

bobo1on1 Wrote:There should be no problems with that.

That's what that option is supposed to do, nice to hear it's finally working for you.
I get those lines in the log but even with no frames dropped I get stuttering from time to time... is there anything major left over for development or in your opinion this should be ready for prime time?
Meaning: should I worry or is this still heavily under development?

Edit: here's the log http://xbmc.pastebin.com/f29c7350e
I have triple buffering disabled, vsync forced on in the Nvidia control panel (8800GT - drivers 182.08, XP SP3), "let drivers decide vsync" inside XBMC. I selected medium quality resampling. Using an X-Fi analog out.
The sample played is the beginning of Wall-E where it's really easy to detect stuttering... it's as if the video lags behind from time to time, I can't better put it in words.

- bobo1on1 - 2009-04-29

garvani Wrote:Im having allsorts of problems with tearing in windows.. Only on my secondary screen though (1360x768) , no tearing is present if i play on my primary monitor (1920x1080). mpchc will obviously play fine on secondary screen, but for a seamless movie experience by remote I really would rather not go down the external player branch.
Ive tried what i think is everything before asking for help, changed a lot of settings from the jittery video thread and every other thread ive came across, but no luck as of yet. I have just downloaded kees latest smoothvideo windows build with the same problem.. In that I dont get any CVideoReferenceClock in the logs.

If someone could just spare 5 minutes and look over the settings and the log i would appreciate it!

So these are the settings ive got at the moment:

Have left default smoothvideo settings alone.
xbmc vsync option - driver decide
ati option - on unless application specify
tripple buffering is off

Hardware and software:
Ati HD4830..
Windows 7 7057
Latest 9.4 ati catalyst
Kees windows build of smoothvideo branch - xbmc revision 19691
Primary display is 1920x1080 monitor but outputting via dvi-hdmi to 42" Samsung lcd secondary screen running at 1360x768 @ 60hz, have used ultramon to get xbmc on other screen, have set xbmc to 1360x768@60hz.

Using a 24fps SD test file.. "Taken" Mainly because it takes less than 10 seconds to see if its tearing or not.. the fps of the video playing is ~24fps.. i read that it should be the refresh rate of the screen?

Heres my xbmc log
http://pastebin.com/m466675f2

If you want to get the CVideoReferenceClock lines in the debug log you have to turn on debug logging under Settings->System->Hardware.
I don't know how to fix your problem, other than switching the primary and secondary monitors when you start xbmc.
Smoothvideo isn't going to help you get vsync.

ashlar Wrote:I get those lines in the log but even with no frames dropped I get stuttering from time to time... is there anything major left over for development or in your opinion this should be ready for prime time?
Meaning: should I worry or is this still heavily under development?

Edit: here's the log http://xbmc.pastebin.com/f29c7350e
I have triple buffering disabled, vsync forced on in the Nvidia control panel (8800GT - drivers 182.08, XP SP3), "let drivers decide vsync" inside XBMC. I selected medium quality resampling. Using an X-Fi analog out.
The sample played is the beginning of Wall-E where it's really easy to detect stuttering... it's as if the video lags behind from time to time, I can't better put it in words.

Try playing some 25 fps video, my guess is the video you're playing has either strange timestamps or the frame duration is a little off.

- ashlar - 2009-04-29

bobo1on1 Wrote:Try playing some 25 fps video, my guess is the video you're playing has either strange timestamps or the frame duration is a little off.
I have few 25fps ones... also, I had problems with other videos as well, not just Wall-E.

- Bagger - 2009-04-29

The Skip/duplicate option.

Am I corrrect in assuming this option is so I can still have DD and DTS audio and the correct frame rate video.

With this option set 24 FPS movies play nice and smooth at 25 FPS and I still get DTS sound but now instead of the video judder I get an audible tap tap tap on the sound.
Is this how it is ?

- lixe - 2009-04-29

Hello,
I'm new to linux, is there a How-To to set this one up? I'm using Jaunty and the latest SVN. Would be very nice if some could tell me how to install this =)

- ubiq - 2009-04-29

There is something strange about the latest updates to the smoothvideo branch. I was using revision 19504 without any problems, but today decided to upgrade to the latest revision 19710 because you had merged with linuxport 19632 that included the fix to export tv-shows. After upgrading all my videos (23,976fps, 24fps, 25fps and 30fps) started to have occasional framedrops. The video froze for a small amount of time (not stuttering, more of a lockup) and sound went funny for that moment. OSD showed that fps dropped and some frames dropped too. I reverted back to revision 19504 and now all the problems are gone (problems caused by smoothvideo).

Here is the debug log. I don't know why it says SVN:19809 in the log? I checked out smoothvideo branch when I did a clean install to my HTPC and now I just did:

1. svn up
2. make clean
3. ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
4. make -j2
5. sudo make install

All that was done in my users XBMC folder that the initial checkout created. I have read that this is the way to upgrade, but did I mess something up or did svn up grab the latest linuxport? That could explain why my video playback started to behave strangely but somehow I doubt that 'cos when I reverted back to older build with svn up -r 19504 in the same XBMC folder it gave me the build from the smoothvideo branch?

Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
Alsa-1.0.19
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19

- bobo1on1 - 2009-04-29

ashlar Wrote:I have few 25fps ones... also, I had problems with other videos as well, not just Wall-E.
Could be just a side-effect of not using a realtime operating system, I'm not sure there's much I can do about it.
Also windows doesn't provide a vblank counter or even a vblank signal, so I have to keep polling GetRasterStatus which is not very efficient.

Bagger Wrote:The Skip/duplicate option.

Am I corrrect in assuming this option is so I can still have DD and DTS audio and the correct frame rate video.

With this option set 24 FPS movies play nice and smooth at 25 FPS and I still get DTS sound but now instead of the video judder I get an audible tap tap tap on the sound.
Is this how it is ?
Check the debug log and see if the refreshrate was detected correctly.

lixe Wrote:Hello,
I'm new to linux, is there a How-To to set this one up? I'm using Jaunty and the latest SVN. Would be very nice if some could tell me how to install this =)
Install it the same way as linuxport except use the smoothvideo url and install libsamplerate0-dev

ubiq Wrote:There is something strange about the latest updates to the smoothvideo branch. I was using revision 19504 without any problems, but today decided to upgrade to the latest revision 19710 because you had merged with linuxport 19632 that included the fix to export tv-shows. After upgrading all my videos (23,976fps, 24fps, 25fps and 30fps) started to have occasional framedrops. The video froze for a small amount of time (not stuttering, more of a lockup) and sound went funny for that moment. OSD showed that fps dropped and some frames dropped too. I reverted back to revision 19504 and now all the problems are gone (problems caused by smoothvideo).

Here is the debug log. I don't know why it says SVN:19809 in the log? I checked out smoothvideo branch when I did a clean install to my HTPC and now I just did:

1. svn up
2. make clean
3. ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
4. make -j2
5. sudo make install

All that was done in my users XBMC folder that the initial checkout created. I have read that this is the way to upgrade, but did I mess something up or did svn up grab the latest linuxport? That could explain why my video playback started to behave strangely but somehow I doubt that 'cos when I reverted back to older build with svn up -r 19504 in the same XBMC folder it gave me the build from the smoothvideo branch?

Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
Alsa-1.0.19
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19
Update from svn and try again, I tried out something to compensate for an unreliable glXWaitVideoSyncSGI but it wasn't working that well.

- Bagger - 2009-04-29

Got a strange problem.

Smooth video only seems to work the once.
ie if I boot up all at default setting (as a fresh install would give ) play a 24fps DTS movie, it plays with "Jerk o vision" as expected. I then stop the movie select skip/duplicate play the movie again and its fine 25fps,DTS sound ( with tapping).
But if I stop the movie and either start it again or another 24fps movie its back to "Jerk o vision"
The only way to get it back is to reselect the resample option play a movie, stop the movie, reselect skip/duplicate and play it again.

And to get even wierder if I select the debugging mode I cant get smoothvideo to work at all.( managed to turn it on while playing though)
http://www.pastebin.ca/1407832

SVN 9.04 beta1 r19809
Ubuntu 8.04 minimal install
NVidia Drivers 185.19

- bobo1on1 - 2009-04-30

You're playing a 24 fps movie at 50 hertz and you're using passthrough with the resample option which doesn't work (it defaults to clock feedback).

Either use a better refreshrate (60, 48 or 24 hertz) and use skip/duplicate or disable passthrough and use resample.

- Bagger - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:You're playing a 24 fps movie at 50 hertz and you're using passthrough with the resample option which doesn't work (it defaults to clock feedback).

Either use a better refreshrate (60, 48 or 24 hertz) and use skip/duplicate or disable passthrough and use resample.

Sorry if you didnt get the jist of my post.
In order for me to use skip/duplicate I have to set resample then play, stop then select skip/duplicate then play again else it doesnt do any thing.

Doing things like above makes 24fps movies play @ 25 fps with pass through using skip/duplicate.

If I dont use the above method then using skip/duplicate just plays 24fps movie @ 24fps.

Or are you saying that 24fps movie doesnt work @50Hz with skip/duplicate.Or is it the 50Hz causing the dodgey sound

Unfortunatly my TV doesnt support 24 or 48. If it did then I wouldnt have to use smoothvideo any way.....would I ?

- ashlar - 2009-04-30

Sorry bobo1on1, my log wasn't giving any information as to why the stuttering was occuring? As I mentioned, it wasn't the only 24fps material giving me the problem, it happened in all of them. Sad

- Hitcher - 2009-04-30

You might want to try an up to date build as I noticed bobo1on1 made quite a few additions yesterday.

- ubiq - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:Update from svn and try again, I tried out something to compensate for an unreliable glXWaitVideoSyncSGI but it wasn't working that well.

Thank you for updates! I updated to latest revision (did a really clean installation, make uninstall and rm -rf XBMC/ and did a new checkout from smoothvideo just to be sure) but I still get the same results as previously. For my 25fps videos it is a bit better. Sometimes fps drops to 24fps and speeds up to 26fps to compensate and steadies back to 25fps dropping only about 1 frame, but every now and then fps drops more and also more frames drop. For 24fps videos it seems to be the same as previously.

New debug log

Back to reverting to older build...

- ERamseth - 2009-04-30

So I have noticed with the smoothvideo branch that music often plays back too fast, as if it is being resampled to match the refresh rate of the visualizations. Is this possible?

Disclaimer: I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of smoothvideo against linuxport (I will do one soon... kinda in the middle of a move to a new apartment), so it could be a system-wise issue, but I doubt it...

- bobo1on1 - 2009-04-30

Bagger Wrote:Sorry if you didnt get the jist of my post.
In order for me to use skip/duplicate I have to set resample then play, stop then select skip/duplicate then play again else it doesnt do any thing.

Doing things like above makes 24fps movies play @ 25 fps with pass through using skip/duplicate.

If I dont use the above method then using skip/duplicate just plays 24fps movie @ 24fps.

Or are you saying that 24fps movie doesnt work @50Hz with skip/duplicate.Or is it the 50Hz causing the dodgey sound

Unfortunatly my TV doesnt support 24 or 48. If it did then I wouldnt have to use smoothvideo any way.....would I ?

In your case, you have to disable passthrough and select resample, it's not going to work any other way.

ashlar Wrote:Sorry bobo1on1, my log wasn't giving any information as to why the stuttering was occuring? As I mentioned, it wasn't the only 24fps material giving me the problem, it happened in all of them. Sad
Turn on vsync in xbmc, disable passthrough and select resample as synctype (had a little bug, fixed now).

ubiq Wrote:Thank you for updates! I updated to latest revision (did a really clean installation, make uninstall and rm -rf XBMC/ and did a new checkout from smoothvideo just to be sure) but I still get the same results as previously. For my 25fps videos it is a bit better. Sometimes fps drops to 24fps and speeds up to 26fps to compensate and steadies back to 25fps dropping only about 1 frame, but every now and then fps drops more and also more frames drop. For 24fps videos it seems to be the same as previously.

New debug log

Back to reverting to older build...

Update your driver to 185.18.04.