Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] Mac Mini & Resolution & judder - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [MAC] Mac Mini & Resolution & judder (/showthread.php?tid=47063)

Pages: 1 2

[MAC] Mac Mini & Resolution & judder - hug0 - 2009-03-17

Hi all,
beeing a newbie, I have some questions. I have a new mac mini and a samsung le37 659 LCD.
I recognized judder by a lot of my movies. Now I am wondering what resolution I should choose on the OSX. I tried 24Hz but the judder was really bad. With 50Hz or 60Hz it isn't that bad, but still recognizable.
What refresh rate should I choose? Or does it depend on my media files and their internal FPS rate?
Thanks for hints!
hug0

- davilla - 2009-03-17

is vsync enabled?

- hug0 - 2009-03-17

davilla Wrote:is vsync enabled?

"always enabled".
"high quality upscaling" is disabled.

- davilla - 2009-03-17

An LCD should be set to 60Hz. An LCD does not have a concept of refresh rate. There is no electron beam rastering across the screen. If connected via a vga, then you are doing digital -> analog -> digital and who knows what happens.

type an "o" to show the video content fps. use MediaInfo to qualify your content. XBMC should display at the fps of your video content. what movies show "judder", what moves do not show "judder"? what's the difference according to "o" and MediaInfo?

- hug0 - 2009-03-17

davilla Wrote:An LCD should be set to 60Hz. An LCD does not have a concept of refresh rate. There is no electron beam rastering across the screen. If connected via a vga, then you are doing digital -> analog -> digital and who knows what happens.

The mini is connected via miniDVI->DVI->HDMI, so no analog component. I am aware that the LCD always works with 60Hz, but I can change the mini's 1080p outout to 24Hz, 25Hz or 60Hz.

Quote:type an "o" to show the video content fps. use MediaInfo to qualify your content. XBMC should display at the fps of your video content. what movies show "judder", what moves do not show "judder"? what's the difference according to "o" and MediaInfo?

Indeed I have different movies: 24fps and 25fps. I could only do a quick test this morning, but I got the impression, that there is no judder as long as I set the minis video output to the same frequency as the movie has, that I'm going to start in xbmc. Sounds reasonable, but I wasn't aware, that I have to change the mini's output frequency. I never did this before (on my linux laptop) because like you said: the LCD always works with 60Hz.

Davilla, thanks for your answers...
I will do some more tests this evening

hug0

- jayhawk785 - 2009-03-17

make sure that auto adjust refresh is disabled. I had another thread with a similar issue.

Also, there was a thread about the kuro tv's on how to get hte 3:3:3 pulldown with jumping the tv into 76hz 24p mode. I don't think you want your lcd sitting at 24hz even if it does match the fps.

- davilla - 2009-03-17

XBMC for OSX does not alter the display refresh (yet) Smile it's in the list.

XBMC for Linux/Windows can. When displaying 24 or 25 fps content on 60Hz refresh displays, you have a framerate miss-match and will see tearing in the video frames. The normal method to fix this is to display frames in a 2:3 cadence.

XBMC does not do a 2:3 frame cadence adjustment but that's what the smoothvideo branch is testing.

One must match or cadence adjust frame-rates or you will see tearing but it also depends on how smart your HDTV/LCD is.

- hug0 - 2009-03-17

davilla Wrote:One must match or cadence adjust frame-rates or you will see tearing but it also depends on how smart your HDTV/LCD is.

So do I understand that correctly, that my method of setting the mini's output freqency manually is the only way at the moment (and with the trunk version)?

- davilla - 2009-03-18

hug0 Wrote:So do I understand that correctly, that my method of setting the mini's output freqency manually is the only way at the moment (and with the trunk version)?

yes.

- jayhawk785 - 2009-03-18

davilla Wrote:XBMC for OSX does not alter the display refresh (yet) Smile it's in the list.

Davilla, you recall that is what I had to disable in order to stop the tearing? Not sure if you guys fixed that, but its definitely worth making sure its fixed/disabled on his.

- davilla - 2009-03-18

Ahh, make sure "adjust refresh rate" is turned off.

- hug0 - 2009-03-18

davilla Wrote:Ahh, make sure "adjust refresh rate" is turned off.

was never on, but thx!

- ijhammo - 2009-12-28

davilla Wrote:XBMC for OSX does not alter the display refresh (yet) Smile it's in the list.

Is there any update on auto refresh rate changes for OSX? There is a small cmd line tool called cscreen that allows you to do it in OSX (10.5 and 10.6)

- anothergene - 2010-01-20

ijhammo Wrote:Is there any update on auto refresh rate changes for OSX? There is a small cmd line tool called cscreen that allows you to do it in OSX (10.5 and 10.6)

Bump.

I'm rather curious about this too. That's one of my very few remaining peeves with xbmc.

Great work guys! Keep it up.

- Ayla - 2010-04-29

ijhammo Wrote:Is there any update on auto refresh rate changes for OSX? There is a small cmd line tool called cscreen that allows you to do it in OSX (10.5 and 10.6)

Is there any progress on this davilla?

It's such a great feature in XBMC on Linux, and one of the only major features that I miss on XBMC for OS X Smile

Is it theoretically possible to directly call a display refresh change in OS X from within XBMC or do you need a third party app (like cscreen for example)?