Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- rodneyrodriguez - 2010-01-20

Hi all,

I have xbmclive 9.11 rc1 installed on an acer revo 3610 and have everything working well except for tvheadend, which i am really keen to use as it looks awesome.

I've read through all 40 odd pages of this post and anything else i can find, but haven't found a solution to my problem. At the risk of sounding like a complete noob (i've been using xbmc for years but have no linux knowhow) can someone please tell me how you are accessing the web interface on xbmclive? Yes it seems i've tripped at the very first step. haha

I assume that i need to install a browser as live is obviously stripped down to speed it up. I've installed firefox, but everytime i try to run it in terminal i get:

"error: no display specified"

So then i tried setting up a symlink between firefox and my home folder which worked and i've then tried using xbmclauncher to run firefox, but everytime it goes to a blank screen and then boots me out to terminal. I've also tried installing opera and netsurf, but no luck there either.

Weirdly enough, the only way i have managed to get firefox to run is when i have tried using launcher, which crashes me to terminal. If i now type "firefox" it still won't run, but if i instead type "startx" fluxbox opens (in a normal terminal session i get a "fatal server error" if i try to run startx) and from fluxbox i can open firefox, but when i try to browse to "http://127.0.0.1:9981" it doesn't work. arrrgh!!

If anyone can please give me a tip it would be greatly appreciated as i'ts driving me crazy. Apologies for the long winded post and also for the fact that not all of this is related to tvhe, but i'm not even sure if firefox is the right way to go so i thought this would be the bast place to ask.

Thanks for any help you can give me and a big thanks to everyone involved with xbmc and all of its addons.

- kuseman - 2010-01-20

XBMC live is started standalone, eg. no window manager is running thus you cannot start applications requiring a window manager like firefox.

I think the easiest way to get it work is to access the tvheadend-webserver from another computer and set it up and then use xbmc to watch live tv.

There is another way if you don't want to use another computer and that is to exit xbmc to access the terminal and once there type startx. This will get you to a minimal window manager and there you can start firefox and set up tvheadend.
When ready, reboot or restart xbmc and watch live tv.

- rodneyrodriguez - 2010-01-20

Kuseman, thanks for the reply. I didn't realise that i could set up the web server using a seperate machine, although now that you mention it it does make sense and will save me a tonne of grief.

I knew that there must have been an embarrassingly easy answer. Rofl

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Muxes quality drops fixed - lolobu - 2010-01-21

For those who have the same problem of muxes quality dropping helplessly with release 2.7, the latest SVN version (I got revision 4125) fixes the issue. There is now an option "Monitor signal quality" which is disabled by default. Just leave it like that and for me, it works like a charm :-)

- Rigolo - 2010-01-21

an other big improvement in the latest SVN is better support for irdeto encryption in combination with a cwc client. And some issue's with incorrect handling of 2 dvb tables in one TS packet have also been solved resulting in beter quality data.

And there is improved support for DVB-C providers that use the NIT-o tables for the real transponder frequencies with an "incorrect" NIT-a table.

- Rigolo - 2010-01-21

an other big improvement in the latest SVN is better support for irdeto encryption in combination with a cwc client. And some issue's with incorrect handling of 2 dvb tables in one TS packet have also been solved resulting in beter quality data.

And there is improved support for DVB-C providers that use the NIT-o tables for the real transponder frequencies with an "incorrect" NIT-a table.

- Schumi - 2010-01-21

Schumi Wrote:Hi everybody.
I am trying tvheadend with xbmc. This is like a dream. But with some problem. I am connecting newcamd 5.25 server with tvheadend CWC settings. 9 channel in a provider scrambled by cworks. Only 2 channel is watchable. Another 7 channel is only problem. When select channel first picture freeze. (a good picture) After 2 seconds buffering. And very very bad picture. But no problem in Windows with this channel. And picture is not smooth at all channel. Including FTA channels.
Sorry for my bad english. Sad

And tvheadend log for bad cwc channel.

Code:
Dec 23 00:20:30 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2255: Corrupted PES header, 217 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:31 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2255: Corrupted PES header, 232 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:31 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2256: Corrupted PES header, 86 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:31 parser: transport _dev_dvb_adapter0_ST_STV0299_DVB_S11492000_V_satconf_2_061b stream MPEG2AUDIO, DTS discontinuity. DTS = 3009851782, last = 1217753
Dec 23 00:20:31 parser: transport _dev_dvb_adapter0_ST_STV0299_DVB_S11492000_V_satconf_2_061b stream MPEG2AUDIO, DTS discontinuity. DTS = 1312793, last = 3009851782
Dec 23 00:20:32 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2255: Corrupted PES header, 257 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:33 parser: transport _dev_dvb_adapter0_ST_STV0299_DVB_S11492000_V_satconf_2_061b stream MPEG2AUDIO, DTS discontinuity. DTS = 1502873, last = 1327913
Dec 23 00:20:33 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2256: Corrupted PES header, 87 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:33 parser: transport _dev_dvb_adapter0_ST_STV0299_DVB_S11492000_V_satconf_2_061b stream MPEG2VIDEO, DTS discontinuity. DTS = 1512000, last = 1339200
Dec 23 00:20:33 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2255: Corrupted PES header, 282 duplicate log lines suppressed
Dec 23 00:20:34 TS: ST STV0299 DVB-S/Super Platform: 11,492,000 kHz Vertical (Satellite)/Fast Race TV: MPEG2AUDIO @ #2255: Corrupted PES header, 292 duplicate log lines suppressed

Any idea. I Can watch this channel with Windows7 PROGDVB.

- Jaken - 2010-01-21

I i'm trying the pvr version with this patch: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8414

It is pretty sweet Tongue But it is probably a long way until it is stable.

- tvich - 2010-01-23

Hi, really sorry to drop in like that, but I really need some help.

How can I watch IPTV with Tvheadend? I don't know hot to set the channels, ther is no field for IP address of the server under Configuration/IPTV tab?
This is an example of a chanell (it works in VLC):
#EXTINF:0,1 - RTV SLO 1
udp://@239.1.1.115:5000

Where do I enter this data in the tvheadend web interface?

Ubuntu 8.04
HTS Tvheadend 2.7 (from the debian/ubuntu repo)
Running under user HTS

It's kind of late and if I'm missing something obvius i'm sorry Smile

- ukasz - 2010-01-24

pause doesn't work right. propably becouse tvheadend uses unmaintained xbmsp code. after playing pasued stream video and audio desynchronise.

channel list sometimes broke. channel numbers get messed up.

channel switching couses xbmc to buffer stream when pressing channel+ or -.
when switching channels from list of channels it goes good. sometimes xbmc reports no descrabler available but tv is streaming.

shall i post this to official bug report ?

- pacha_muc - 2010-01-25

Hello @ll,

after searching hours in google & co. i´m actually not sure in the following:

In the documentation of tvheadend were displayed:

Analog TV
Using the Video4Linux2 API. Currently, only PAL is supported.

I have in my system 2 cards: 1 x Hauppage DVB-T and 1 x Hauppage PVR-350

The DVB-T Card is running very well - all muxes were scanned, all stations are displayed etc. -

BUT: the PVR-350 will only displayed - there is no chance to do a channel-scan... - I´m missing the "channel-scan-Button" or the "channels.conf-import-Button" for this card...

The card is working very good with vlc, xawtv etc. - so a working channels.conf is also installed as the right drivers...

Pls. give me a short how-to to let this card also working in my system.

best regards,

Peter

PS: sorry for my english, i´m from germany... ;-)

- fl0w - 2010-01-28

Hi,
I didn't understand how to configure tvheadend with IPTV. My ISP is Free (France) and I get a m3u playlist, containing the streams like this :
#EXTINF:0,2 - France 2 HD
rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=201&flavour=hd
In the IPTV tab, I don't know where to put the rtsp URL :confused2:

- Swifty - 2010-01-30

Now that a PVR client for Tvheadend is underway I am thinking about switching from VDR.
Can anyone who currently uses Tvheadend tell me if the following is possible ?
I have two tuners, one DVB-T and one DVB-S2 both can recieve some of the same channels, BBC1, BBC2 etc.. is it possible to 'combine' this in Tvheadend so that I have one instance of the channel listed but two possible sources for it, so for example if I was recording on BBC1 I could then watch BBC2 and it would automatically pick the tuner that wasn't busy ?
Also does anyone know if the Freesat EPG is supported by Tvheadend ?

Cheers Smile

- Razor_109 - 2010-01-30

Swifty Wrote:Now that a PVR client for Tvheadend is underway I am thinking about switching from VDR.
Can anyone who currently uses Tvheadend tell me if the following is possible ?
I have two tuners, one DVB-T and one DVB-S2 both can recieve some of the same channels, BBC1, BBC2 etc.. is it possible to 'combine' this in Tvheadend so that I have one instance of the channel listed but two possible sources for it, so for example if I was recording on BBC1 I could then watch BBC2 and it would automatically pick the tuner that wasn't busy ?
Also does anyone know if the Freesat EPG is supported by Tvheadend ?

Cheers Smile

I know TVHeadend supports a 'Merge' function for channels.. so i guess it does what you want.. can't test it though since i'm only running 1 DVB-C device..

- Swifty - 2010-01-30

Great thanks for the reply.. that is the one feature I really miss with VDR!