Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- Croaker - 2010-06-13

Hi guys,

think I'll say something really stupid, but also think I must ask:
How do I get this HTS Addon to work in XBMC pvr-testing2 branch?

These are my specs (dev machine):
- Win7 x64
- XBMC source for pvr-testing2
- all requirements for building (even setups)
- VS C++ Express 2008
- XBMC compiled and running (after some project changes)

And the Server:
- Ubuntu 9.10 with newest updates (except the upgrade to Ubuntu 10)
- TVHeadEnd server 2.10

TVHeadEnd works fine with the 'normal' XBMC on my laptop and the HTPC in the living room, but only with HTSC sources.
Would like to get REAL TV support Wink
Correct me if i miss something, but should the hts addon be installed when i run the fresh compiled sources in portable mode? At least it should be availabe in system/addons/installed addons, right?
Where so i have to copy which files? Wiki is of no use because it targets the actual XBMC version, not the new addons manager.

- Razor_109 - 2010-06-13

Gujs Wrote:Yes it is a lot better with MythTV. First of all, de-interlace is working very good with ION chipset. I can use Temporal 2x without any problems on HDTV channels, but on XBMC I can only use Temporal/Spatial Half. And this one is really ugly to watch.

I can also see better picture in MythTV when there is scrolling text from right to left of the TV channel. It is difficult to read this text on XBMC, but on MythTV looks a lot better. I hope that all this will be fixed when somebody focuses on de-interlace support in XBMC.

Indeed i can confirm this, Temporal/Spatial only works on my G 210 with Bilinear scaling.. Lancoz is not possible anymore.. and even without it enabled it sometimes drops a frame.. so still not perfect indeed.. the Half-deinterlacers are not watchable at all with a fast moving picture like sports. Smile

I never tried Mythtv and not planning to, but its good thing to know it's possible! I trust the developers of XBMC to this task when they have the time to focus on the PVR side since they have only just entered the 'PVR-competition' (and not even officially Wink ). Knowing MythTV can do it makes it a software problem which can eventually be solved.

I was wondering about the 'Record' button during Fullscreen-play.. is this suppose to be working already or not yet? Since this gives an server error on my setup.

Quote:I aslo see that real support for picture width and height came to tvheadend . I will try to fix XBMC for this and the update my ppa.

I guess Elupus already added this to the mainstream! I'm curious how it works, hope it doesn't delay the channel switching! (http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/31080)

- moontan77 - 2010-06-13

i updated my kernel which resulted in other problems so i reverted back to the originial lucid kernel, however now tvheadend doesnt always start. If i run it manually it starts ok, so I am confused as to why its not always starting.

Is there any way to check whats stopping it from starting? (it was working fine before i upgrading kernel)

i removed it and installed it again but made no difference

- Razor_109 - 2010-06-13

moontan77 Wrote:i updated my kernel which resulted in other problems so i reverted back to the originial lucid kernel, however now tvheadend doesnt always start. If i run it manually it starts ok, so I am confused as to why its not always starting.

Is there any way to check whats stopping it from starting? (it was working fine before i upgrading kernel)

i removed it and installed it again but made no difference

try run the executable in non daemon-mode.. i guess ./usr/bin/tvheadend

maybe this works..it should show all messages in terminal and you'll be able to see the error.

- moontan77 - 2010-06-14

it starts ok manually, just doesnt start every time on boot

I thought the following fixed it but only worked once after it

chmod +x /etc/init.d/tvheadend

and

update-rc.d tvheadend enable

- infabo - 2010-06-14

@Gujs
are you going to merge your version with the official trunk any soon? i think they've made essential progress especially on the addon manager.

- Gujs - 2010-06-14

For now I am staying on pvr-testing2 rev 30781, because latest is not very stable. But I will test it after next merge.

I will also submit patches for my fixes to trac after the next merge.

- b0nde - 2010-06-14

Hello.

I really want to use tvheadend on my xbmc box. I have a couple of questions though, which I hope some of you may have time to read and answer.

I run XBMC 9.11 on ubuntu minimal karmic, hardware is ASRock ION 330HT.

Will the latest stable version of tvheadend work out-of-the-box with this setup, and what about hw-acceleration?

I can see you guys are talking about some patches and some other stuff, is this required to get hw-acceleration ? And will I have to upgrade XBMC to some unstable revision ?

Thank you!

- infabo - 2010-06-14

Gujs Wrote:Yes it is a lot better with MythTV. First of all, de-interlace is working very good with ION chipset. I can use Temporal 2x without any problems on HDTV channels, but on XBMC I can only use Temporal/Spatial Half. And this one is really ugly to watch.

I can also see better picture in MythTV when there is scrolling text from right to left of the TV channel. It is difficult to read this text on XBMC, but on MythTV looks a lot better. I hope that all this will be fixed when somebody focuses on de-interlace support in XBMC.
ohhh yes. temporal/spatial works fine on sd-channels. on 1080i channels rather not. what i really dislike in xbmc at the moment is, that i cannot specify different settings for sd/720p/1080i. e.g. for upscaler-settings, interlacing-settings,...

- Gujs - 2010-06-14

TVheadend and XBMC are updated on my ppa. They work OK with VDPAU

- Gujs - 2010-06-14

infabo Wrote:ohhh yes. temporal/spatial works fine on sd-channels. on 1080i channels rather not. what i really dislike in xbmc at the moment is, that i cannot specify different settings for sd/720p/1080i. e.g. for upscaler-settings, interlacing-settings,...

Yes. I miss the same thing. MythTV has this, and it is very usable. But I will still use XBMC, because it is best HTPC application until now.

EDIT: Temporal/Spatial work on SD, but it still gives me some shaking picture. You can see this on white surfaces on TV channel.

- infabo - 2010-06-14

in tvheadend you can assign icons to every channel by specifiying the path to the image-file. can the tvh-client be extended to fetch these values and show the icons in xbmc too?

- maddox - 2010-06-14

Gujs Wrote:TVheadend and XBMC are updated on my ppa. They work OK with VDPAU

Thanks Gujs, its working here!

infabo Wrote:in tvheadend you can assign icons to every channel by specifiying the path to the image-file. can the tvh-client be extended to fetch these values and show the icons in xbmc too?

That would be nice, another thing would be to fetch the channel number from tvheadend, if possible.

- infabo - 2010-06-14

maddox Wrote:another thing would be to fetch the channel number from tvheadend, if possible.
we see, still a long way on the road. but it's half the way i think. channel-numbers, icons, timeshift, per-channel-settings and i'd be happy! Laugh

- alanwww1 - 2010-06-14

Gujs Wrote:TVheadend and XBMC are updated on my ppa. They work OK with VDPAU

Thanks very much !

Does anyone know how to set the EPG language priority for multi language EPG channels ?

I am afraid it might not be coded yet.