Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- opdenkamp - 2010-12-20

if you want to access LiveTV, EPG or anything else that is related to pvr, it's screens have to be present in the skin files too (or you simply won't see it).

at the moment, it's only present in confluence and slik-pvr (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85831 ). perhaps there are more but those two are the only ones I know.

- Swifty - 2010-12-20

costi Wrote:A question about skins for your xbmc-pvr - is it possible to install new skins while keeping the LiveTV features, or are the limited to Confluence only?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87237

I've also made my own LiveTV modifications for Alaska revisited and Xperience which i will try to put up if people want them, but they are very amateur Smile

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

Hi to all!

I have been busy for a few weeks now testing the tvheadend xbmc combination and I'm very impressed.

I did manage to get me into trouble though and since I use Larses dharma repo for both xbmc and tvheadend I'm asking you guys if you could help me out.

My backend as well as my frontend run Ubuntu 10.4, fully updated.
On the backend runs tvheadend 2.12.svn5683~odk1, on the frontend runs xbmc SVNBig Grinharma+pvr~odk48.

I use a nfs share mounted at the frontend to playback recorded shows.
I use stepback, stepforward, bigstepback and bigstepforward (left, right, up and down on my mceusb remote) mainly to skip commercial blocks, but this does not work as I espected.
In advancedsettings.xml I tweaked the value of the amount of time I am skipping with the above commands like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
<video> <!-- "VideoSettings" instead of "video" for builds prior to May 22, 2006 -->
  <smallstepbackseconds>7</smallstepbackseconds>  <!-- Length of the small skip back (normally the BACK button) when playing a video -->
  <smallstepbacktries>3</smallstepbacktries>
  <smallstepbackdelay>300</smallstepbackdelay>
  <usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>  <!-- Whether to use time based or percentage based seeking. -->
  <timeseekforward>60</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->
  <timeseekbackward>-30</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->
  <timeseekforwardbig>420</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
  <timeseekbackwardbig>-420</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->
</video> <!-- use "VideoSettings" instead of "video" for builds prior to May 22, 2006 -->
</advancedsettings>

This is what happens:

In case I play back a finished recording, all goes well, very smooth indeed.
But in case I play back a show that is still recording, all is wrong.
Stepback and stepforward are slow and do not skip all of the time I orderd them, bigstepback and bigstepforward are even worse, meaning much slower and skipping about 60 seconds in stead of 420.

When I push right twice and next push up twice I should have skipped 16 minutes (the recording was of course running some 30 minutes before I tried this).
But in fact it just skipped 3:29. I know that because I stopped xbmc to get the log, waited for the recording to finish, then started xbmc again and playd the recording again. On playback start, xbmc offered me to start at 3:29 or at the beginning of the recording.
So I playd the finished recording for some seconds and pushed again rihgt twice followed by up twice, hoping that the resulting logs enable you to find out wether I am doing something wrong or this may be a (hopefully fixable) bug.

I repeated the test numerous times with the same results

I posted the logs here:

The unfinished recording log is at http://pastebin.com/ZMw2v46B
The log of the finished recording is at http://pastebin.com/udN23PCT

Hope you can help.

Kind regards,
bas.t

- berg01 - 2010-12-21

Transparency has support as well.

dushmaniac Wrote:if you want to access LiveTV, EPG or anything else that is related to pvr, it's screens have to be present in the skin files too (or you simply won't see it).

at the moment, it's only present in confluence and slik-pvr (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85831 ). perhaps there are more but those two are the only ones I know.

- opdenkamp - 2010-12-21

@bas.t
it's a known issue. probably occurs because the wrong video length is reported while the stream is still being written (just guessing, never looked into it)

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

@dushmaniac

Thanks for the quick reply.

dushmaniac Wrote:@bas.t
it's a known issue. probably occurs because the wrong video length is reported while the stream is still being written (just guessing, never looked into it)

Are you willing to look into it? It is important for me, I could drop the pain in the butt sasc-ng/mythtv setup!

Thanks in advance,

bas.t

- opdenkamp - 2010-12-21

Submit a bugreport containing all relevant information on trac and I'll look into it next week. No promises for a quick fix though.

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

Thanks again for your very quick response.

Should I use the lonleycoder and the team-xbmc repos to reproduce the bug before posting on trac?

Regards,

bas.t

- opdenkamp - 2010-12-21

you can use the master branch from my sig. that's the one I'm developing on.

please set the component in trac to PVR so I can find it easily.

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

OK!

- costi - 2010-12-21

Where does tvheadend put its logfiles?
I have a problem that after a longer period of inactivity XBMC loses contact with tvheadend and I have to disable the addon and re-enable it, otherwise I get a "no input detected" message when trying to watch live tv.
Web interface of tvheadend works fine all the time.

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

@dushmaniac

I am using your master branche to reproduce the bug, but I am VERY pleased to inform you that I can't.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Mind you, bigstepforward as well as bigstepback are still slow.
Nevertheless, these commands act as expected now, hip hip huray!!!

Let's hear it for Lars, keep up the good works.
I'm dropping sasc-ng/mythtv as of now.

bas.t

- bas.t - 2010-12-21

costi Wrote:Where does tvheadend put its logfiles?
tvheadend logs to syslog.
The dvr part of tvheadend however puts its 'logs' in /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/dvr/log
costi Wrote:I have a problem that after a longer period of inactivity XBMC loses contact with tvheadend and I have to disable the addon and re-enable it, otherwise I get a "no input detected" message when trying to watch live tv.
Web interface of tvheadend works fine all the time.
Need more info to address that, never occured here.
Like how did you configure your connection, what repo do you use and so on..

- julienzch - 2010-12-21

dushmaniac Wrote:And are you experiencing the same crashes as that ticket reports or just jumpy audio/video?
It's a bit old but I wanted to let you know that the error reported by ALSA has been solved since RC1 or RC2. No idea who did this but thanks.

Nonetheless, if, as I do, you intend to use pulseaudio, you will probably get jumpy audio under ubuntu 10.04 but for a complete different reason.
Add tsched=0 to the line containing load-module module-hal-detect
in /etc/pulse/default.pa

Let's hope it could help somebody else !

- costi - 2010-12-21

bas.t Wrote:Need more info to address that, never occured here.
Like how did you configure your connection, what repo do you use and so on..

Dharma RC2 Live installed to USB stick, upgraded to dharma-pvr from your PPA. tvheadend is on the same machine.

I'll be mounting a new harddrive in my Revo in the next few days so I'll do some more serious testing then.