Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- PrimaryMaster - 2009-10-06

Starstream Wrote:medicineuk - could you add this one to the first post as well

Enable 1080p @ 24Hz for XBMC Live

Thanks to boba23 for the solution
If you have limited linux experience I suggest downloading Ubuntu CD and boot from it. It will give you the option to boot a “live” version called try without changing… so go with that.

Once Ubuntu is up & running click Places and look for a hard drive there should be two listed and one is about 4GB in size so click on that one so it mounts it, now close the file browser window it opened.

Now start terminal found under Applications->Accessories

Type in what’s below and it should open a new file browser window
gksudo nautilus

Browse to /etc/x11 folder and look for xorg.conf and open it in the text editor

Look through the file and you will see a section called Screen, add the following line into this section with quotes intact,

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"

Click save if all goes well it should, if it won’t let you close the window and repeat the terminal step.

Now boot back into XBMC Live & go to settings->video->player and enable "adjust refresh rate". Now to to settings->appearance->screen and change resolution to 1920x1080@24Hz

To confirm its working you can press z on keyboard and it will display refresh rate.

i have done this.. but nothing happens...!!

what i do is that i go to xbmcLIVE safe mode. then i ftp over the edit file.
and reboot the system.

- kees667 - 2009-10-07

I am stuck in this myself as well. First you can edit the files in nano using "sudo nano filename" on the system itself. Secondly it depends on your tv. To tell your system which modes it supports (24hz, 50hz,60hz and all resolutions) you can add modelines to a config file. There are tools to help this.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57489&page=4 and other posts (currently on netbook, dont have all my bookmarks here but there are several guides). Search for refres rates, modelines and edid.

PrimaryMaster Wrote:i have done this.. but nothing happens...!!

what i do is that i go to xbmcLIVE safe mode. then i ftp over the edit file.
and reboot the system.

- PrimaryMaster - 2009-10-07

kees667 Wrote:I am stuck in this myself as well. First you can edit the files in nano using "sudo nano filename" on the system itself. Secondly it depends on your tv. To tell your system which modes it supports (24hz, 50hz,60hz and all resolutions) you can add modelines to a config file. There are tools to help this.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57489&page=4 and other posts (currently on netbook, dont have all my bookmarks here but there are several guides). Search for refres rates, modelines and edid.

thx
i will take a look at it when i come home...

i thing... alot of you have the option for 1080p/50hz but the i dont... 1280x170p/50hz is the highest ...

Ps. i have UE55b7070 Samsung.. (is there different files for different tvs?)

i have the xbmc connected thou the reciver? that can not have anything to do with it?
that I dont even have the 1080p settings?

Edit: i have the ps3 connected the same way.. and i works perfect (1080p@24hz) ...
so that can not be the problem...

- vikjon0 - 2009-10-07

Quote:i have the xbmc connected thou the reciver? that can not have anything to do with it?
that I dont even have the 1080p settings?
Probably yes. Skip receiver for video or learn how to create a custome edid.

vikjon0 Wrote:Probably yes. Skip receiver for video or learn how to create a custome edid.

"edid"?

But why do the ps3 work?

- vikjon0 - 2009-10-07

Quote:edid"?
Google?
Quote:But why do the ps3 work?
ps3 = Playstation3? It is a different hardware and a different OS. I guess why is because they have written a software to handle it.

- oseldusan - 2009-10-08

ErikX Wrote:Issue 2 is not an issue anymore. It was actually a network problem. When copying the file to the local disk it played without any hickups. I was not aware that 100 Mbit is to slow to stream 1080p hd.

Now, all that remains is issue 1 and 4 :-)

Hello i am pretty sure, that 100Mbit network is able to stream full HD. Normal bit rate for fullHD mkv is about 20Mbit/s. For special movies or scenes ( bird scene ) it can be max about 60Mbit/s. So if you have troubles with streaming , it is probably problem on source machine. Can you write me, how fast you can copy this file from network? Actually I am planning to buy Asrock ION330 for media player, and I am looking now for people , which already tested playing on this machine over network. I am planning to stream over 1GB network. I tried to stream two fullHD videos from network from one source. Source was IOmega home drive. Notebook with XBMC and other one with KMplayer. Result - 5*.
1. So question to all people here: Did you test to play FullHD videos from network with XBMC, ubuntu and Asrock ION 330 ? ( Best if you test over 1GBit network, from 2 players, or just during playback , try to copy from same source ).
2. Somebody try to play on that hw ( Asrock ) AVHCD video from Sony FullHD camera without recompresing ?
Thanks

- oseldusan - 2009-10-08

Hello Again.
Anybody try to play BD movie with integrated optical drive ?? Asrock IONstar330 BD. XBMC for Linux.

- Sharker - 2009-10-08

oseldusan Wrote:Hello i am pretty sure, that 100Mbit network is able to stream full HD. Normal bit rate for fullHD mkv is about 20Mbit/s. For special movies or scenes ( bird scene ) it can be max about 60Mbit/s. So if you have troubles with streaming , it is probably problem on source machine. Can you write me, how fast you can copy this file from network? Actually I am planning to buy Asrock ION330 for media player, and I am looking now for people , which already tested playing on this machine over network. I am planning to stream over 1GB network. I tried to stream two fullHD videos from network from one source. Source was IOmega home drive. Notebook with XBMC and other one with KMplayer. Result - 5*.
1. So question to all people here: Did you test to play FullHD videos from network with XBMC, ubuntu and Asrock ION 330 ? ( Best if you test over 1GBit network, from 2 players, or just during playback , try to copy from same source ).
2. Somebody try to play on that hw ( Asrock ) AVHCD video from Sony FullHD camera without recompresing ?
Thanks

You don't have problem on network, the problem is cache system of XBMC. I can stream on linux or win7 with vlc 1080p mkv perfect on 100 mbits with asrock but XBMC don't have change cache parameters (for this and web streaming, i cannot see megavideo streaming with premium register but all videos are HQ and more cache problems.).

The ion asrock have not problem with play over network with 100 mbits. It's cache problem.

- PrimaryMaster - 2009-10-08

I connected the asrock directly to the TV and there the 1080p@60hz shows up.
i just added "Option "DynamicTwinview" "false" " and i found the 1080p@24hz..

But one thing... when i press Z the xbmc shows me a thats is running on 24hz, BUT if i press the info bottom on the TV remote.. is says at 60hz

I have a Samsung 55 LEd (Ue55b7070)

- Fanck - 2009-10-08

Sharker Wrote:The ion asrock have not problem with play over network with 100 mbits. It's cache problem.

I thought you can set up cache in XBMC. Any workaround to stream HD?

- snal - 2009-10-14

PrimaryMaster Wrote:I connected the asrock directly to the TV and there the 1080p@60hz shows up.
i just added "Option "DynamicTwinview" "false" " and i found the 1080p@24hz..

But one thing... when i press Z the xbmc shows me a thats is running on 24hz, BUT if i press the info bottom on the TV remote.. is says at 60hz

I have a Samsung 55 LEd (Ue55b7070)

Isn't this expected behaviour? I have a Samsung LE40B650 and it always (including xbmc@24hz, xbox360, normal cable tv) indicates it's running at 60hz, even while it is a 100hz TV.

- athloni - 2009-10-14

The should be a special LIVE-CD for Asrock ION

- athloni - 2009-10-14

Fanck Wrote:I thought you can set up cache in XBMC. Any workaround to stream HD?

I would like that too.
Is it possible to stream 1080p over 100mbit with Linux Live-CD on teh Asrock ION?

If so....how?