Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- curtis-r - 2009-07-15

patkhoo Wrote:I guess your library on a NAS share somewhere? It may be possible that even if the DB is local, XBMC does try a connect to see if the share is up or down. I could be wrong, but you might want to try with watching one or two local movies/videos to see if the problem occurs as well..

Yeah, that's a simple enough test to narrow down the issue. I sure hope XBMC (or the skin) doesn't feel the need to spin up video sources when not playing. My unraid server has 10 drives and would hate to think they are all spinning when just browsing the library.

- soder - 2009-07-15

curtis-r Wrote:Yeah, that's a simple enough test to narrow down the issue. I sure hope XBMC (or the skin) doesn't feel the need to spin up video sources when not playing. My unraid server has 10 drives and would hate to think they are all spinning when just browsing the library.

That can not be how it is? I often remove my videofiles, but still keep it in the library. That way it shall not be looking for the files just browsing?

Or how is the flags updated? Only once or everytime I browse to a file?

/Söder

- curtis-r - 2009-07-15

soder Wrote:That can not be how it is? I often remove my videofiles, but still keep it in the library. That way it shall not be looking for the files just browsing?

Or how is the flags updated? Only once or everytime I browse to a file?

/Söder

I agree. I don't feel the video sources should be in use during browsing, but then what explains the 10-15 second black screen after I press stop at the end of a movie.

It's significant that it's after watching an entire movie b/c that gives the other drives time to spin down. If I simply just watch a couple of minutes of a movie & press stop, there is no delay before I see my library.

- soder - 2009-07-15

curtis-r Wrote:I agree. I don't feel the video sources should be in use during browsing, but then what explains the 10-15 second black screen after I press stop at the end of a movie.

It's significant that it's after watching an entire movie b/c that gives the other drives time to spin down. If I simply just watch a couple of minutes of a movie & press stop, there is no delay before I see my library.

Maybe it takes time for your library to mark tyour movie "watched", or your TV switching mode if using "adjust refresh rate"? But 10-15 sec is pretty long. =)

/Söder

- GrinRoth - 2009-07-15

Can't this be caused by native media flagging?
Because this functions reads mediafiles for flagging? And that could take some time in your case i guess...

- curtis-r - 2009-07-15

GrinRoth Wrote:Can't this be caused by native media flagging?

Doesn't flagging only read the video files (or .nfo files) when importing them?

soder Wrote:Maybe it takes time for your library to mark tyour movie "watched", or your TV switching mode if using "adjust refresh rate"?
/Söder

Interesting thought, but wherever "watched" is stored has to be local, where my XBMC folder is. If it was the refresh rate, the 10-15 second delay would happen every time I stop a movie, not just after a long watch.

Do others with a system where multiple drives are viewed as one share see the same 10-15 second blank screen after watching a movie? Now that think about it, the interface to my server tells me which drives are spinning. I'll do a little testing tonight.

- patkhoo - 2009-07-15

curtis-r Wrote:I agree. I don't feel the video sources should be in use during browsing, but then what explains the 10-15 second black screen after I press stop at the end of a movie.

Actually, I really do think that XBMC WILL do a query of some sort to the Video Sources when entering a media area (library, movies, videos, music, etc).. Or returning to a media area from a long period (watching a movie). It is the only way to know if a particular area is really available (up) or not. If I were writing XBMC, that's what I'd do..

curtis-r Wrote:It's significant that it's after watching an entire movie b/c that gives the other drives time to spin down. If I simply just watch a couple of minutes of a movie & press stop, there is no delay before I see my library.

I do not think the delay is related to HDD spin up/down. Today's drives are very fast and spin up/down is not really the bottleneck. The slow part is Windows looking to find/verify a server/share on the network. Windows workgroup shares are terribly slow in this regard.

One option for you to try is to map a drive to your NAS share. Make it persistent and always automatically map-ed on boot up too if you can. Windows handles map-ed drives differently from direct UNC paths.. Map-ed drives are "kept alive" differently/unlike directly browsed UNC paths, so they should respond faster than having Windows recheck all of the workgroup looking for the server.

So, here's some stuff for you to try:
1) Try watching a long movie that is local, does the problem happen?
2) Try watching a short movie from the remote share, does the problem happen?
3) Try mapping a drive to the remote share and watch a long movie from it, does the problem happen?

My bet is on Windows doing a "search" to find/verify your UNC path to your share that XBMC is checking...

- >>X<< - 2009-07-15

GrinRoth Wrote:Can't this be caused by native media flagging?
Because this functions reads mediafiles for flagging? And that could take some time in your case i guess...

No because that info is stored in your db, lots of stuff gets cached but its possible it still looks for tbn files cant imagine it only looks for that file when you call the info screen, change a tbn file and changes take place instantly its not cached

- patkhoo - 2009-07-15

patkhoo Wrote:Actually, I really do think that XBMC WILL do a query of some sort to the Video Sources when entering a media area (library, movies, videos, music, etc).. Or returning to a media area from a long period (watching a movie). It is the only way to know if a particular area is really available (up) or not. If I were writing XBMC, that's what I'd do..

Sorry, let me clarify further.

If you open a Windows explorer window to a UNC path "\\MYSERVER\MYSHARE\MYFOLDER" and see all the files there.. then minimize the window.

Go do something else for a long period of time, completely ignoring the minimized explorer window. Say 30min or 1 hour or more. Don't even ALT-TAB past the thing..

Then, switch focus to the minimized explorer window and restore it. You'll see the hourglass come up as Windows goes out to verify if this share is still available or not.

This does not happen if you use map-ed drives, because it is a drive, and lots of other stuff (drivers, filters, etc etc) attach to it and so the connection is "kept alive" where UNC path is "forgettable"...

Conclusion: It's a Windows Thing ™

- curtis-r - 2009-07-15

patkhoo Wrote:One option for you to try is to map a drive to your NAS share.

Actually, my NAS is mapped as a drive letter, but your other suggestions are good ones. Will try & report back.

BTW, sorry to hijack this thread b/c sounds like it's not a mod thing.

- logictester - 2009-07-15

andy - thanks for the slider menu Smile

- kurojaki - 2009-07-16

im very new at this, and testing aeon on my comp, but i am having som troubles with this.
i dont know if im retarded or so but i cant get the backdrop to work on the movie, tvshows, music, picture menu. it is just all black :/

in the customize menu you at least see the default background:
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7963/screenshot000.jpg

but at the first menu it is just all black:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4308/screenshot001rtj.jpg

cant u get custom background out there in this version or wot?

- Hitcher - 2009-07-16

You'll need the latest SVN build of XBMC (check the sticky in the Windows section).

A search would have shown you this.

- neurosis13 - 2009-07-16

found these flags in the media folder:

Can they be used, are they being used, how can the be used?

is this a code one can use?
i have taken this from PM3HD

<control type="image">
<description>Aspectratio Image</description>
<width>90</width>
<height>33</height>
<aspectratio>keep</aspectratio>
<texture>$INFO[ListItem.VideoAspect,flagging/aspectratio/,.png]</texture>
</control>

- lonchaney - 2009-07-16

patkhoo Wrote:Well, if like me, you use the GIT GUI, then after you have gotten the first download and you want to do an update, you can try this:
1) open your existing repository - ie. C:\XBMC\Skins\Aeon ShowMultiplex
2) go to "Checkout" and choose "Tracking Branch" for MASTER (not auriga Smile
3) "... working ..."
4) You should now get some message about not being on a local branch anymore... Just click OK..

ok i got this to work but after i click OK it doesn't do anything it seems...on the bottom it says Checked out '3ba8b514' but it doesn't seem like it's downloaded any updates or anything...how do i know if it worked?

UPDATE

Never mind...after loading xbmc up again it seems to have updated...i guess i should have checked before posting