Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=53640)

- likelinus - 2011-05-24

I'm a new user and i just installed MC. I added the folders and then scan for new movies. MC goes through and creates the TBN, NFO and folder.JPG, but it won't download any fanart - AT ALL! If I click on the fanart tab, I can see the fan art and then save it from there, but how in the world can I have it grab the fanart automatically?? I've checked all the settings and do not see anything. Help! Smile

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-25

@Hjord, @likelinus, MC now has 3 scrapers for movies. The default MC scraper & two XBMC scrapers (IMDB & TMDB), can I get you to try one or both of the others? Also there is a mirror selection for IMDB, perhaps that needs to be changed for your location.
If you are still having trouble,can you post the scraper your trying to use & the movie title.
@kartman_canada, just set the scraper to IMDB, XBMC will not actually use that scraper if it finds nfo files which it should.

Cheers

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-27

Media Companion 3.4.0.3b Weekly Released

Added Features
Movies HTML output engine has been updated to include most Movie.nfo fields. It also has the ability now to have 2 or more movies side-by-side. The developer (HueyHQ) has also included some example templates - check out the 'Movie card Filter' template for an example of the flexibility now provided by the new additions.
TV Show information can be exported to HTML much the same as Movies Can. Check the 'INFO_HTMLoutputTags.txt' file for details of both the movie & TVShow tags. Thanks again to HueyHQ.
Thanks goes to Playos for adding several major changes to improve the coding of MC
Movie 'Stars' are now scraped
You can now set your own text for the text that is overlayed on the generated offline movies. Use the token '%T' to use the movie title.

Fixes
Fixed Issue #36 - Auto Create Episode Thumbnail Setting now obeys the setting in preferences
Issue#37 Fixed Change IMDB Certification Priorities (Down Arrow)
Stopped Fanart Selection returning to the Main Tab Automatically (note more work needs to be done with the logic relating to the missing filters & the filter tab)
Reordered Movies & TV Menus to be more consistant with each other
Gave a little more room to the Studio field

Quite a lot has changed this week, so theres lots of new features to try & report on.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/releases/view/66703

Cheers

- danz0l - 2011-05-27

StormyKnight Wrote:Media Companion 3.4.0.3b Weekly Released

Added Features
Movies HTML output engine has been updated to include most Movie.nfo fields. It also has the ability now to have 2 or more movies side-by-side. The developer (HueyHQ) has also included some example templates - check out the 'Movie card Filter' template for an example of the flexibility now provided by the new additions.
TV Show information can be exported to HTML much the same as Movies Can. Check the 'INFO_HTMLoutputTags.txt' file for details of both the movie & TVShow tags. Thanks again to HueyHQ.
Thanks goes to Playos for adding several major changes to improve the coding of MC
Movie 'Stars' are now scraped
You can now set your own text for the text that is overlayed on the generated offline movies. Use the token '%T' to use the movie title.

Fixes
Fixed Issue #36 - Auto Create Episode Thumbnail Setting now obeys the setting in preferences
Issue#37 Fixed Change IMDB Certification Priorities (Down Arrow)
Stopped Fanart Selection returning to the Main Tab Automatically (note more work needs to be done with the logic relating to the missing filters & the filter tab)
Reordered Movies & TV Menus to be more consistant with each other
Gave a little more room to the Studio field

Quite a lot has changed this week, so theres lots of new features to try & report on.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/releases/view/66703

Cheers

Appreciate all the effort on the updates Smile

Still cant use the xbmc scrapers, if enabled, on this release, MC crashes on the first scan. My folder structure is

Death Hunter (2011) - DVD-Rip
Death Hunter (2011).DVDRip.XviD.avi
Desert Son (2010) - DVD-Rip
Desert Son (2010).DVDRip.Xvid.avi
Fertile Ground (2010) - DVD-Rip
Fertile Ground (2010).dvdrip.xvid.avi

I see it as the scraper doesnt find Death Hunter (2011) and instead of ignoring the error, bombs MC. Up until this point it would return a cant find imdb on title, show a error box with an incomplete imdb url and then crash. Now its just crashing Sad

Maybe some error routines in the scrapers would be wise so we can trace the problem more. I'd love to use the new xbmc scrapers to grab better.

Disabling the xbmc scrapers allows MC to scan in the movies although does have issues with some (incomplete, no fanart etc)

Hope that helps.

- bobrap - 2011-05-27

Pretty much same problem for me. Use the XBMC scrapers and...crash.

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-28

Thanks @danz0l & @bobrap...with the provided movie titles i was able to locate some of the issues.....

Death Hunter (2011) doesn't exist on IMDB, but Death Hunter (2010) does & this is what the scraper tries to scrape. If you have a look at that movie on IMDB you will see that it is missing quite a bit of information. Its the XBMC scraper that is crashing & pulling MC down with it because of this missing data.
I have made a change to ScraperQuery.vb to catch the error & that movie now scrapes albeit mostly empty of data as it is on IMDB.

Desert Son (2010) is a different issue. This results in a malformed url & requires further investigation as to why. Oddly when the XBMC scraper is called, it detects the malformed error but then throws an exception also crashing MC. If I return an error as the result, the calling function never checks for that so in both of these cases its the XBMC scraper that is the issue.

I will post an issue on the mediacompanion codeplex site to see if any of the other developers have any ideas.

Cheers

- danz0l - 2011-05-28

StormyKnight Wrote:Thanks @danz0l & @bobrap...with the provided movie titles i was able to locate some of the issues.....

Death Hunter (2011) doesn't exist on IMDB, but Death Hunter (2010) does & this is what the scraper tries to scrape. If you have a look at that movie on IMDB you will see that it is missing quite a bit of information. Its the XBMC scraper that is crashing & pulling MC down with it because of this missing data.
I have made a change to ScraperQuery.vb to catch the error & that movie now scrapes albeit mostly empty of data as it is on IMDB.

Desert Son (2010) is a different issue. This results in a malformed url & requires further investigation as to why. Oddly when the XBMC scraper is called, it detects the malformed error but then throws an exception also crashing MC. If I return an error as the result, the calling function never checks for that so in both of these cases its the XBMC scraper that is the issue.

I will post an issue on the mediacompanion codeplex site to see if any of the other developers have any ideas.

Cheers

Thanks stormy Smile Yes i understood it was the xbmc scrapers at fault and disabling them allowed at least a successful scrape (I had 14 movies in that directory and it scraped most of them). I've had similiar issues with scraping since the introduction of the xbmc scrapers and just feel a bit more error checking needs to be introduced, i.e. if the url returned is malformed or its not 100% sure of what title the movie relates to then skip, we can always manually find the movie later.

Again thanks very much for the continued work on the excellent program. Lets get those bugs ironed out Smile

- nsviper - 2011-05-28

Just tried adding a new TV Series but its not appearing in the list of TV Shows, then suddenly I got this error:
Quote:See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value
at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.set_Value(String value)
at ProtoXML.ProtoProperty.set_Value(String value)
at Media_Companion.Form1.TreeView1_AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4959 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Media Companion
Assembly Version: 3.4.0.3
Win32 Version: 3.4.0.3
CodeBase: file:///E:/Media%20Center%20Files/Media%20Companion%20gen2%203.260/Media%20Companion.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
NfoLibrary
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///E:/Media%20Center%20Files/Media%20Companion%20gen2%203.260/NfoLibrary.DLL
ProtoXML
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///E:/Media%20Center%20Files/Media%20Companion%20gen2%203.260/ProtoXML.DLL
System.Xml.Linq
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Running v3.4.0.3

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-31

@nsviper, if you are using the TMDB xbmc scraper, an issue was reported earlier & should now be resolved for Fridays 3.404 release.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/discussions/259540

Cheers

- trpltongue - 2011-06-02

kartman_canada Wrote:I'm really sorry to ask this... but I'm confused...

I've restructured a sample directory (for testing) of my movies into the following...

X:\Movies\Title\

where title repeated about 50 times with the various titles and the source file for each movie is beneath. I've installed the latest stable MC (3.400) and managed to point it at my root movie dir (X:\Movies) and it scraped 100% leaving a 'title.nfo' and 'title.tbn' in each sub dir...

Now, I went to XBMC and I removed all sources and tried readding my test tree, setting the "content type" to 'Movies'. This is where I'm confused.... what scraper do I set? Is there a setup guide somewhere that I missed?

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple... a little help?

You just use the default XBMC scraper and set the option to "automatically scan". When XBMC scans through your folders, it will find the nfo files and artwork that MC downloaded and use those. If it doesn't find them, it will use the TMDB database and try to search for your movie.

I do wish there were a way to disable all the XBMC scrapers as I'd much rather rely on my 3rd party tools instead.

Hope that helps.

Media Companion V3.404b Weekly Release - StormyKnight - 2011-06-03

Media Companion V3.404b Weekly Release

*** Important! ***
Due to an issue where the date added & the full genre information was not being read into the Movie cache, it is highly recommended
that you perform a Rebuild Movies when first running this latest version. This will read in the information from
the nfo's & repopulate the cache used by MC during operation.

Fixes
* Fixed Movie nfo 'Date Added' information not being imported into the cache - Lists now sort correctly by the date
that the nfo was created. FYI Date Modified is the date that the actually nfo has been modified as reported by the OS.
This can't be relied on since how it changes varies from OS to OS.
* Renamed _imdb'dll to imdb.dll. This file is required by mc_com.exe. It was changed back in Jan 2011, not sure why.
* More fixes to the XBMC Scrapers...
* The Movie Fanart Picture wouldn't resize as the screen size grew.
* Improved the addition of fanart when using the 'missing fanart' filter'
* Fixed the Reset Filters Operation so all the filters are reset as well as there indicators.
* Duplicate Movies should now be listed correctly
* Genres should now be able to be filtered correctly
* TV HTML now handles errors on duplicate or incorrectky scraped episodes
* TV HTML can now handle Specials

New Features
* You can now select the 'missing fanart' filter & when you go to the fanart tab it allows you to step through all
of the movies in the list as you add the fanart to each. If the 'missing fanart' is not selected, the behaviour is
the same as 3.403 where the page would stay until you navigate away.

Debug Additions
* Add Date to the beginning of Movies in List if you have selected the sort option 'Modiefied' or 'Date Added'.
It is at the moment selected from the debug screen, but probably will become a preference since not everyone
will want it enabled due to the extra space it takes up.
* Added a checkbox to show MC's config files - mainly for developers to quickly access these files 'in house'
to see what data is being written too them or what is being read from them. The files refresh each time the tab is selected.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/releases/view/67557

Cheers

Periods in TV Searches - phil4v7 - 2011-06-04

Thanks for picking up the weekly updates. It's great to see this project making forward progress. I have what feels like a bug or inconsistency, but I guess it is more accurately a feature request . My xbmc box is on a linux system and I spend a lot of time at the command prompt, so all of my movie and tv folders have special characters stripped and periods in the name where most windows users have spaces. Examples:

M:\A.Bugs.Life
M:\A.Few.Good.Men
M:\Aladdin

T:\Fairly.Legal
T:\Fringe
T:\Good.Eats

XBMC itself handles the periods just fine and is able to located correct movies and TV series information. The movie portion of MC seems to work fine as well. That may be more a function of how IMDB and the Movie DB handle periods in their searches. Everything seemed to break down though when I got to the TV series. Single word shows such as Fringe worked just fine, but anything with multiple words bombed. I spent a lot of time in the TV Show Selector tab manually replacing all the periods with spaces before MC could find the shows. I checked the main tvdb site and sure enough, their search just doesn't handle periods well.

Is there any way to add an option (or even a default) in the preferences for replacing periods with spaces before searching? It may be that I'm the only one that's weird enough to have run into this, in which case I understand that it's not worth the trouble. But I thought I'd toss it out there in case I'm not the only one, it might add a little robustness to the app.

- StormyKnight - 2011-06-04

@phil4v7, mate I've created a feature request on our issue tracker, someone will have a look at it & see what's involved.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/workitem/54

From what I can see, we should strip out the periods & perhaps underscores anyway before we search.......

Cheers

- AaronD - 2011-06-05

Hi,

I am coming back to MC after YEARS of not using it in favor of EMM. However more often than not that program is not working for me now.

I downloaded the latest version, added some folders, and did a quick rebuild. It found about ~50 of my 248 movies. Then I told it to go looking for new movies, and it is going back adding new nfo files to the movies that it already recognizes. It appears that it is recognizing a movie.nfo file in a folder as a movie, but then going back and scraping a new movie with <moviename>.nfo as well. With both nfo files in the folder, MC shows two movies with the same details in the movie list.

I've tried various settings under Movie preferences, and can't seem to get this sorted out. How do I avoid having these duplicate movies showing up when I have all my movie folders already scraped with movie.nfo files?

I even tried deleting the movie.nfo from a few of my movies and rescraping them, and low and behold it put the movie.nfo file back!

How should this be configured?

- Pete7 - 2011-06-05

For some reason a lot of my movie nfo's are missing the year. Is there a way to re-scrape only the year info with Media Companion? I went through and manually edited all of the genres and don't want to lose that info.