Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=53640)

- bobrap - 2011-11-25

eddiem Wrote:TV Shows
Fan art browser
TMDB poster browser
all working in MC 3.423b Weekly

Same for meNod

- vbat99 - 2011-11-25

@Death-Axe

I've been following MC for a while now, and been helping iron-out bugs, specially with TV Shows.

One thing to note is the need to download "Dot Net 4.0 FULL" from Microsoft for version 3.416b and above to work smoothly. Not the same version as available for download from updates.

and I know the one issue you're having with the message "appears to contain season folders".

Had the same issue with a friends folders, and nailed it down to faulty nfo files.

You can have episodes of any season in the root of a TV SHow.
To start may I suggest this.

if "H:\" is where you have your shows, then make a new folder (just for testing) called say "TVShows". this would be H:\TVShows" (as an example)

Now in the TVShows folder, make a folder for one of your shows, :ie: "Terra Nova". This should now look like "H:\TVShows\Terra Nova"

Inside Terra Nova make some dummy files, make a new notepad document, and rename it S01E01.avi. Copy and paste a few of these and change them to S01E02.avi and S01E03.avi etc.

Open Media Companion 3.423b, and go to folders. In the left panel, at the bottom, click on 'Browse for Folder' and select 'H:\TVShows'. Click OK, then under the right panel, click 'Add Folders from Roots' and Terra Nova will appear in the right panel.

Click on 'Save Changes' and then again on small window that pop's open 'OK'. Now, Watch bottom left of Media Companion and wait for 'Scraping TV Shows' to disappear.

Once that's gone, click on third line, far left, 'Main Browser' button. Click first line, word 'TV Shows' and in the drop down window click on 'Rebuild Shows'

Now you should just see one show in the left column, Terra Nova, but no sub folders for any seasons. Third line, click 'Search for new episodes".

Ta Da. All should be working.

I had a friend do this, copying over only the video files, and nothing else, into new folders of his Tv Shows. Now his MC works. Afterwards we found a nfo from a torrent download was crashing Media Companion.

I really hope this helps.

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-25

I have the .net installed from the link provided on the MC site. As for my folder structure, my shows are not on the roots of my drives. I have a tv shows folder, anime folder, and cartoons folder to split up media on my drives. In those, its show name folder, and with in that, season folders.

To try something new, I had a quick look at ember MM to see if that had probs loading my shows, but it did not. This is not ideal though, as it seems to be discontinued, so I would like to keep using MC.

I tried ticking the new option of fixing tvdb ids, but the option never saves (this is inbetween waiting 10 mins for the app to open, and another 10 mins for it to close ughh)

Should I just delete all of my nfo files, and re scrape and re create them? I suppose there could be a corrupted nfo file some place. Or is there an option in MC so it makes new files and over writes the old ones?

Thanks.

- eriksmith200 - 2011-11-25

eddiem Wrote:TV Shows
Fan art browser
TMDB poster browser
all working in MC 3.423b Weekly

same here

- jg1395 - 2011-11-25

Death-Axe i actually still have one problem with TV-shows, once i get all the TV-shows in and refreshed when i install a new weekly, the new tv-shows get added properly. But next time i try to Search this show for new episodes, I get "WARNING: Could not locate this episode on TVDB, or TVDB may be unavailable". I'm starting to think an update to Dot Net 4 is the cause. It's just really weird that it works when i install a new build.

I went through that whole ticking and unticking and not saving issue that you went though. I never had to delete my nfo files, what i did do was start with a new weekly, clicked the fix nfo id during refresh under TV settings and then clicked Reload show cache under TV shows. Also make sure your tv shows aren't locked but i think you already know that one.

- jz1276 - 2011-11-26

Could not get ACTOR/ROLE/DIRECTOR/CREDITS to scrape for TV shows in prev versions to 3.4.2.4 with net framework 4 and they still wont scrape. Is there a fix?

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-26

takes 20 mins to open and close now. Any ideas anyone?

- vbat99 - 2011-11-27

Death-Axe Wrote:I have the .net installed from the link provided on the MC site. As for my folder structure, my shows are not on the roots of my drives. I have a tv shows folder, anime folder, and cartoons folder to split up media on my drives. In those, its show name folder, and with in that, season folders.

To try something new, I had a quick look at ember MM to see if that had probs loading my shows, but it did not. This is not ideal though, as it seems to be discontinued, so I would like to keep using MC.

I tried ticking the new option of fixing tvdb ids, but the option never saves (this is inbetween waiting 10 mins for the app to open, and another 10 mins for it to close ughh)

Should I just delete all of my nfo files, and re scrape and re create them? I suppose there could be a corrupted nfo file some place. Or is there an option in MC so it makes new files and over writes the old ones?

Thanks.
Ok, first, fixing of tvdbid's is a one time thing. That's why is doesn't stick. For fixing of tvdb id's, tick the box, click save and ok, then goto main TV Shows and select 'Refresh Shows' or 'Refresh All Shows' if your using the latest MC3.424b.

This will run through your 'tvshow.nfo' in all your show's folders and repair the tvdb id's. Only needed once.

Secondly, I'd try what i suggested and move a couple of shows into a new root folder, ie: 'TVShows Test' or something, wipe out anything that isn't a video file, and only add the shows under this folder to Media Companion. Refresh all shows, then search for new episodes.

I found that tv episodes sorted by Sickbeard and letting Sickbeard create the nfo's, these were very slow in loading in Media Companion, and I had to wipe all episode nfo's and let MC rescrape them.

I've found Media Companion 3.424b to be the most stable with TV Shows. Still ironing out minor bugs with Movies.

Hope this helps.

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-28

I can't see how moving a couple of shows into a new folder would help anything, can you explain this?

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-28

Interesting, on batch re-scraper with all options ticked, app errors:

Quote:System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Media_Companion.TvEpisode]'.
at Media_Companion.Form1.tvbckrescrapewizard_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Would a clue be in here?

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-29

Deleted all my nfo files, deleted settings folder and started again. Program errored: I give up on the current one.

Gone back to quite an old one that still actually works. Thanks for your help.

- _Mikie_ - 2011-11-29

How experimental is the movie renaming option? When it says not if using folder names, what do I need to deselect for this?

- vbat99 - 2011-11-29

Death-Axe Wrote:I can't see how moving a couple of shows into a new folder would help anything, can you explain this?

Reason I suggest this is to eliminate any erroneous data, and as a test. If you can scrape a TV episode in a new folder structure, then Media Companion is working for you. If not, then we need to find the cause of MC failing.

One thing, extract MC to a new folder, something like C:\MC3.424b

Basically, rule out it's not something in your existing folders. I've done this many times to find the cause of crashes or errors in scraping.

An even simpler test is to make dummy files in a new folder.

Example: using H: as your drive, create a new root folder like:
H:\Test1
Then make a TV Show folder like:
H:\Test1\Terra Nova
In the Terra Nova folder, make a text document, ie: right-click, select new, then notepad document.
rename it S01E01.avi.
Fire-up Media Companion, go to Tv Shows, Folders, and remove any entries in the left and right panels. Hit Save Changes and then OK. Next in the right panel, select Browse For and search for and highlight Terra Nova folder and click OK. Then Save Changes and OK. Now Wait!

At this point Media Companion is Auto-Scraping the TV Show. Not the episodes, just the Show Info. Bottom right of screen should show Scraping Tv Shows, 1 remaining.

When this disappears click on Main Browser button. Now MC has scraped the data for Terra Nova, and should be ready to go.
Click Search for new Episodes button and MC should scan and scrape the S01E01 for Terra Nova.

Test Complete.

My friend had issues with MC also, and I had him do this test. MC was working on the test folder situation, but not with his 50 or so TV Shows. So I got him to transfer one TV Show at a time, clearing all data except for the Episodes, and he managed to scrape all his shows.

Somewhere in one of his folders was a file or nfo, that caused MC to crash. We never found which file it was, but got it sorted using the method I originally detailed.

And hey, what's it going to hurt?? Might work for you too.Big Grin

- vbat99 - 2011-11-29

_Mikie_ Wrote:How experimental is the movie renaming option? When it says not if using folder names, what do I need to deselect for this?

Movie Renaming is very experimental at this point in time. I am assisting one of the developers with quirks in this new feature, like multipart movies: ie: -CD1 and -CD2, only the first part is being renamed. This will be sorted in the next release.

Also fixed in MC 3.424b was renaming of subtitle files...to a point.
If more than one subtitle file, then there may be an issue, specially if they are noted as -english or -french etc.

Again, still working on it. I'd suggest you make a Temp folder and add your new movies into this, and allow MC to scrape this Temp folder, renaming the movie files. Check it afterwards, and if all is OK, Move the movies to your main folder.

- vbat99 - 2011-11-29

jz1276 Wrote:Could not get ACTOR/ROLE/DIRECTOR/CREDITS to scrape for TV shows in prev versions to 3.4.2.4 with net framework 4 and they still wont scrape. Is there a fix?

Are you talking for the TV Show, or per episode?

For TV Show, this is working, and has been for the past 10 beta releases.

If its per episode, that will depend on if that data is loaded at http://www.thetvdb.com

Just did a test with Dad's Army, and while the actor's name was present, and their thumbnail, there was no entry on the Role they played. Checked on Thetvdb, and sure enough, the Role entry was empty.

Hope this helps