Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Announcements, Info, and General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Qooop - 2009-12-06 22:01

BennyB Wrote:Thanks all for the advice and the very quick responses, i've finally managed to get this installed on the machine now. But I ended up having to borrow a windows laptop with a CD drive attached (I only have mac that has a CD Rom attahced), burning the iso and booting up from the CD and creating the USB from there.

Now I can't seem to work out how to install the skin. I was assuming i'd just FTP it up, but where is the skin folder? I'm looking under /home/xbmc and I only have video, pictures and music under the directory? Any ideas.

Thanks
Ben

You've gone much deeper than I ever did. I just used an external Blu-Ray ROM drive. Install was simple. The new skin was there by default. I just don't like it though, went back to PM3. The SVN Repo installer installs to Programs and may have some other skins available.

- TiredOldMan - 2009-12-06 22:47

BennyB Wrote:Thanks all for the advice and the very quick responses, i've finally managed to get this installed on the machine now. But I ended up having to borrow a windows laptop with a CD drive attached (I only have mac that has a CD Rom attahced), burning the iso and booting up from the CD and creating the USB from there.

Now I can't seem to work out how to install the skin. I was assuming i'd just FTP it up, but where is the skin folder? I'm looking under /home/xbmc and I only have video, pictures and music under the directory? Any ideas.

Thanks
Ben

You can locate skins in two places. First in /usr/share/xbmc/skin and, second in ~/.xbmc/skin

Note the dot "." in front of the xbmc directory name.

Hope that helps.

- Gooner14 - 2009-12-07 17:04

Has any one managed to get suspend to work successfully with wifi and the Live CD?

I've installed the Live CD no problem, have my MCE remote both suspending and waking the machine. However when it has woken, wlan has no ip (dhcp) now if I run the commands '/etc/init.d/networking stop' and then 'start networking' it will stop networking, and bring up wlan with a dhcp address.

Any ideas?

- BennyB - 2009-12-08 01:29

TiredOldMan Wrote:You can locate skins in two places. First in /usr/share/xbmc/skin and, second in ~/.xbmc/skin

Note the dot "." in front of the xbmc directory name.

Hope that helps.

Perfect, /usr/share/xbmc/skin, I can see that skin folder will try there. Thanks alot.

Just out of curiosity how would i navigate to to ~/.xbmc/skin.

Thanks again for the help

Ben

- TiredOldMan - 2009-12-08 05:40

BennyB Wrote:Perfect, /usr/share/xbmc/skin, I can see that skin folder will try there. Thanks alot.

Just out of curiosity how would i navigate to to ~/.xbmc/skin.

Thanks again for the help

Ben

The symbol "~/" is the unix shorthand for your home directory. If the user name is xyz then ~/ translates to /home/xyz.

In a terminal session issue the "cd" command with no parameters. That puts you in your home directory. Then issue the "pwd" command. It will show you your current directory.

When you are in your home directory issue "ls -al" to see all the files and directories including the ones starting with a dot (.). The "ls" command without the -a will not show the hidden files (the ones beginning with the ".")

- fguerrag - 2009-12-08 23:42

Can I get some pointers on how to update my Revo to 9.11?

Do I need the extra drivers or just ftp and replace xbmc folder?

TIA

- Qooop - 2009-12-09 04:38

fguerrag Wrote:Can I get some pointers on how to update my Revo to 9.11?

Do I need the extra drivers or just ftp and replace xbmc folder?

TIA

I just did a new install from scratch. I think there are less potential problems that way. No drivers needed.

- khatarnaak - 2009-12-13 19:25

Which remote control is everyone using?

- Zarbis - 2009-12-13 21:05

khatarnaak Wrote:Which remote control is everyone using?

Wireless keyboard, it simply allows to do more and faster.

- schneidz - 2009-12-14 06:30

^ this one was no hassle:
http://www.amazon.com/Company-MediaGate-HA-IR01SV-Windows-Ultimate/dp/B00123UGWQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260764935&sr=8-4

- gswarriorfan - 2009-12-14 18:40

any tutorials on how to make a logitech harmony work with xbmc live?

- axium - 2009-12-14 23:46

axium Wrote:Im getting stuck in the ubuntu installer. Can anyone help?

I've added the "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" line to the installer, but I'm getting stuck with "no common cd-rom was detected".

[Edit] - Im trying to install 9.11 beta1.

This is what my syslinux.cfg looks like.

default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live vga=788 splash module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry0
menu label XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry1
menu label XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry2
menu label XBMCLive - ATI/AMD GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash module=amd quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry3
menu label XBMCLive - ATI/AMD GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live module=amd quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry4
menu label XBMCLive - Intel GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry5
menu label XBMCLive - Intel GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry6
menu label Install XBMCLive to disk
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append initrd=/install/initrd.gz vga=normal quiet preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg/cdrom-detect/try-usb=true --

label ubnentry7
menu label Memory test (memtest86+)
kernel /live/memtest
append initrd=/ubninit

Sorry to bring this up again, but can anyone help? Im trying to install 9.11 b2 on my revo 1600. Im trying to install it from a usb stick. I'm a complete linux noob. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

- fguerrag - 2009-12-15 04:25

Try this

it worked for me

- axium - 2009-12-15 04:52

fguerrag Wrote:Try this

it worked for me

Thanks, but that's what I've done so far. Plus the additional line "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" at the end, but it keeps asking me to mount a cd-rom drive after I select the install xbmc to hard drive option.

- Burninator - 2009-12-15 22:55

Is anyone using their Revo over a wireless network? How well does it stream video?

I understand wired out be ideal, but a cable from my PC to my TV would be a pain and ugly for my setup (condo and PC and TV do not share a wall). I suppose it could be done, but I would rather not have too if I can avoid it. But if wireless isn't going to cut it I would rather figure it out before hand. I will be buying a N router and the distance from my PC to my TV is about 15'. Thanks.