Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- bostoneric - 2010-01-04

Ok tried and tried to get wireless working on my 3610 but every guide/walk through/instructions I've tried I cant get the wireless connection enabled.

I mostly followed the instructions on page 23 (dont want to put a long quote)

I'm getting an error after I try this command
Code:
sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext -dd

the output error
Code:
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wap_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Line 1: Invalid configuration line 'ctrl[color=Red]_interfae[/color]=/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.ap_scan=1
Line: 4 - Start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=9):
42 61 6e 64 77 61 67 6f 6e Bandwagon
proto: 0x3
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x18
group: 0x18
Line 11: Invalid PSK '--long psk string---'.
Line 11: failed to parse psk '---long psk string--'.
Line 12: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 12: failed to parse network block.
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
Failed to add interface wlan0
Cancelling scan request
Candelling authentication timeout

any helpHuh

also dont know why the error shows a misspelling of interface as interfae "Line 1: Invalid configuration line 'ctrl_interfae=/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.ap_scan=1"

I checked the wpa_supplicant for any errors, everything shows as it should

- bostoneric - 2010-01-04

ok just checked the wpa_supplicant.conf file AGAIN
deleted it all and rewrote it. i guess i wasnt seeing and error somewhere
this time when i ran
sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext -dd
it did the scan and I had to Ctrl-C to break it Smile

still testing out if the wireless is working.

- einstuerzende - 2010-01-04

einstuerzende Wrote:the names all come up as question marks (for instance, folders titled 陳, 卡, 旺, etc. each show up as "?"). I think xbmc then reads them as a single folder, because even though there are multiple ? folders, no matter which one is selected, the same files show up inside.

I just tried this out with the Live version of XBMC Live (not the one I've installed and played around with and fixed up, etc.), and it seems to have the same problem. It doesn't seem to have this hiccup on windows vista. Linux gurus? I created all these folders on another linux box, so . . . hrm. I'm lost.

- AlFakher1987 - 2010-01-05

Hey Guys!

I just changed my Win7 XBMC on the Revo into the Live Version, because 1080p playback looks much more colourful. Everything seems to run perfect VDPAU etc, except the internet/lan-connection. I cant connect.

I entered the ubuntu console in safe-mode and edit /etc/network/interfaces because there was a wrong ip adress saved. After I finished typing I pressed CTRL+X+Y to save, but now again after save nothings happens.

I really dont know what to do and I just work with Linux the first time. Can somebody help me?

- SweetS2K - 2010-01-05

schneidz Wrote:thx, this worked for me. but my problem is that it is no longer connected to the internet.

is there a way to make it run a program after waking up like:
Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
?

Hmm... I have my REVO connected to a 10/100/1000 hub/switch which connects back to my router via powerline ethernet. The IP address is hardcoded also... I wanted my WakeOnLAN to work.

I've had problems with a netbook recognizing my wireless network... or is somewhat delayed in finding my wlan. Sounds like this may be a more fundamental problem with Linux... have you tried searching the ubuntu forums?

- schneidz - 2010-01-05

^ well... my stock cap solution for the time being is putting something like this in /etc/rc.local
Code:
while [ 1 ]
do
if [ -z "`ifconfig | grep wlan0"` ]
then
  sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
  sshfs user@server:/media /stuff
fi
sleep 10
done [color=Red]&[/color]
its basically a deamon that looks for my wireless card's ip every 10 seconds and if it doesnt find one it restarts the networking deamon.

TV out via VGA ? - bark02 - 2010-01-05

Hi,

i'm connecting my revo to an older TV, whats the best way of doing this? It only has scart and 3 component (Yellow video + 2 phono).

I've found a lead that does VGA to yellow component so i was thinking of doing this for the video and then the headphone jack to 2 phono for the sound.

The lead that I have found states that it will only work if the VGA board supports tv-out, but i can't find any thing to confirm it does.

cheers.

- bark02 - 2010-01-05

Hi,

I'm stuck at step 4....

I downloaded the xbmc ISO that already contains the nvidea drivers (shown on page 1) to my pc.

Unzipped this file to an iso and bunrt to a CD-R with imgburn using write image file to disk.

I then dragged the CD into my removable drive, this created a folder in the root of my USB called CD-ROM which then contained various boot files and one folder.

I them put this USB stick into my revo and turned it on, pressed f12 when prompted but this then entered a screnn called revoboot. I tried restarting a few times and discovered Revoboot comes up whether f12 is pressed or not.

I restarted and pressed del to get into the set up menu then went to BIOS settings. I saw an entery for 'boot to revoboot' so disabled this.

When i restarted and pressed f12 I got the correct boot screen selected usb but this brought up an invalid system disk message! I tried putting the USB back into my pc and moving all the files in the CD_ROM folder to the root directory and restarting the process but i get the same results.

any ideas Huh

edit:

I tried setting it to boot from the HDD and it brings up a loud of 99's then said insert boot device. So I presume it hasn't even got linux on it! Would this stop XBMC booting from USB?

I'm downloading ubuntu 9.10 nettbok remix and will install that adn try again.

- edbro - 2010-01-05

- format the usb drive in your desktop
- boot from the cd you created
- install onto the usb drive

- jakejm79 - 2010-01-05

bark02 Wrote:Hi,

I'm stuck at step 4....

I downloaded the xbmc ISO that already contains the nvidea drivers (shown on page 1) to my pc.

Unzipped this file to an iso and bunrt to a CD-R with imgburn using write image file to disk.

I then dragged the CD into my removable drive, this created a folder in the root of my USB called CD-ROM which then contained various boot files and one folder.

I them put this USB stick into my revo and turned it on, pressed f12 when prompted but this then entered a screnn called revoboot. I tried restarting a few times and discovered Revoboot comes up whether f12 is pressed or not.

I restarted and pressed del to get into the set up menu then went to BIOS settings. I saw an entery for 'boot to revoboot' so disabled this.

When i restarted and pressed f12 I got the correct boot screen selected usb but this brought up an invalid system disk message! I tried putting the USB back into my pc and moving all the files in the CD_ROM folder to the root directory and restarting the process but i get the same results.

any ideas Huh

edit:

I tried setting it to boot from the HDD and it brings up a loud of 99's then said insert boot device. So I presume it hasn't even got linux on it! Would this stop XBMC booting from USB?

I'm downloading ubuntu 9.10 nettbok remix and will install that adn try again.

download unetboot select the iso file and select you USB stick and run it, reboot your revo and boot from USB stick.

Are you trying to install it to the install HDD or just run it from the USB stick?
Also I would suggest using the lateste 9-11 version of XBMC live since it also includes the correct Nvidia drivers.

How to add skins to acer aspire revo XBMC pemament install? - VIP855 - 2010-01-06

Guys, how can I add new skin to the live installed XBMC on my hdd? When I turn on my Acer Aspire revo it starts up with XBMC so my windows is gone which is fine. But now how do you add skins?

Any idea?

- dazex - 2010-01-06

Bark,
The ISO linked to in the first thread is consider an older release. 9.11 Camelot was released around Christmas.

If I were you, I would download the LIVE CD version of that and install to your Revo's HD. This version works wonderfully for me. Do it and report back and I'll be happy to walk you through the rest of the way. It's pretty simple and the Revo 1600 with 1GB of RAM runs XBMC beautifully.

-Dazex

- VIP855 - 2010-01-06

Thanks Dazex,
can you point me to the download link for the LATEST live cd? Thanks

I am very curious how to add more skins to the live cd, I would like to add Aeon Stark and the latest Rapier 3.0 skin

- VIP855 - 2010-01-06

Dazex, I just download the latest repack and installed the live cd but there is ONLY one theme Sad

- VIP855 - 2010-01-06

Never mind, I figured it out how to add the skins. Thanks