Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] XBMC Setup script - Automatic installation - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] XBMC Setup script - Automatic installation (/showthread.php?tid=54992)

Pages: 1 2 3

- cyberpark - 2009-07-22

Try running the script without uncommenting anything, and we'll take it from there. Smile

- joggs - 2009-07-22

Ok,
I've run the joggs script and xbmc starts! Very nice indeed.

The largest problem right now is why I cannot select a resolution higher than 1280x720 under settings,appearance,view options,resolution.

When I installed xbmc from a full ubuntu installation i had alot of resolution options like 1920x1080@ 50 - 60Hz etc.

Also,no sound, if you want digital audio output, I think I read that I should change the audio output device and passthrough output device text to 'hdmi' ? If I change to that, the sound works through hdmi. Is that something that could be automatically set?

- cyberpark - 2009-07-22

Good thing! Think I will delete the optional power settings in the script.

Regarding the other issues:

Video:
What kind of TV and connection you got?

Try to generate a new xorg.conf file from scratch and see if it fix it:
(this will remove the cursor fix and H264 accelaration)

1) Choose shutdown XBMC (not shutdown computer)

1) press ALT+F2 to go to terminal:

Code:
sudo pkill X

Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate

Code:
sudo reboot

Sound:
Do you use SPDIF (5.1 Digital), HDMI or analog?

Did you remember to activate ALL the sound options in Alsamixer?

1) In XBMC, press ALT+F2 to go to terminal:

2) Open AlsaMixer:

Code:
sudo alsamixer

3) Every channel should be green with an 'OO' on it. ('MM' is muted)

4) When all is activated and adjusted volum, press 'Escape'

5) Save the settings:

Code:
sudo alsactl store 0

6) Press SHIFT + F7 to return to XBMC or do a reboot if you are stuck..

I think I need to add a HDMI fix to the script. But since currently run SPDIF -> 5.1 Speaker, I haven't had any issues with it.

- joggs - 2009-07-22

I have a Samsung 40'' lcd (B650) from 2009 and i use hdmi for picture and sound.
A new xorg made no difference, but I don't think I need to have 1920x1080 in the gui. The resolution is 1920 when I start a movie and that is the most important part.

I use digital sound through hdmi and that started to work when i typed in hdmi instead of the other values as I said in my earlier post, so this could be an implementation in your script where you ask what sound type you want to install, and if hdmi you could set those values I mentioned to hdmi, if thats possible.

I had enabled all channels in the alsamixer the first time and everything works great now.

I also tried my Logitech dinovo mini keyboard now and it worked right away when I used the dinovo usb dongle after a blutooth handshake (pushing the connect button on the keyboard and the dongle) but it didn't work without the dongle so I'm not sure if the Asrock ION built in blutooth unit is enabled/installed. No biggie for me, but if you want the script to be rock solid... :-)

Thanks again for your great help !

- joggs - 2009-07-23

Hmm, actually I temporary tested the setup on my 32'' samsung that also is full hd but then I couldn't select anything higher than a 720p interface resolution in xbmc as I said earlier, but when I moved the asrock to my 40'' the 1080P resolution was available.

I just watched a dvd and it worked great without dropping any frames so that works as it should. the 720p and 1080p also...

Another problem I noticed was that my FLAC and mp3s played a bit too fast, ie the pitch was higher than it should be and the singer sounds more like a smurf than a human. I use digital audio through hdmi. I'm sure I have read about a fix for the pitch problem but I don't remember in what thread.

- cyberpark - 2009-07-23

Good to hear that your video is as it should.

I don't use HDMI for sound atm, as I don't have a HDMI v1.3 Surround System.. (soon to become v1.4).

But if you find the workaround or solution regarding HDMI, please share it.

PS: Have anything against smurfs? Big Grin

- rickx - 2009-07-23

Hi, nice script. I've also thought to make one and started more than once but never finished it then.
While I did not try your script, I may give you some advice:
1. most of the commands in your script need admin (root) privileges. a correct approach to this is to:
- not use sudo bash. use sudo with the commands that need it. in this case sudo ./script.sh
- once that is done, all sudo's inside the script make no sense. Moreover, there are lots of comands inside the script which would not work without root privileges anyway, starting from the first echo group. So to clean things up I would remove all "sudo"s from inside the script.
2. small note. the chown (and also chmod) comand has a -R parameter to recursively change things inside folders. You should probably add it to the downloaded svn [...] script.
That's it. (I did not read the whole script yet Laugh)

bye,
rickx

- cyberpark - 2009-07-23

Thanks for the input rickx!
Thought it was a good suggestion and will implement it straight away.

- solamnic - 2009-07-23

nice to hear that u had an Asrock 330 Ion and test it...
Since i m interested in installing this on my asrock 330 ion too.. and since i m a completely noob to linux:
a) by saying it installs skins u mean it installs also aeon?? and which one ? v 091 stark or svn (auriga) ?

b) is it possible in ur script to make it install lirc? (the program that controls remotes in linux).. (and Deluge... (torrent client Smile)

c) this installation plays fine audio from hdmi or optical?

d) the X problem?
(When coming out of sleep via wake on USB an X cursor is shown on screen and remains until the system is rebooted.)

e) will be able to play 1080p /24hz?

f) since i want to use my asrock as torrent client also (never turn it off), will ubuntu minimal be enough? or have to use full ubuntu installation?

.... will think out for more.... Smile (and ofc will try ur script next week when i return at my home)

- r3600 - 2009-07-23

will this script work on a Acer Aspire Revo?
I just got ubuntu desktop 9.04 installed then I saw this post...
I have no linux skills at all!!

- cyberpark - 2009-07-23

r3600 Wrote:will this script work on a Acer Aspire Revo?
I just got ubuntu desktop 9.04 installed then I saw this post...
I have no linux skills at all!!

I don't know, try it. It takes you 4 minutes to run the script.

Tell me how it went Smile

- r3600 - 2009-07-23

I have runned your script and it works Big Grin Got XBMC installed
BUT I dont have any sound Sad I use HDMI..Have searched for solutions, but no luck

BTW: should the script install plugins & scripts? didnt find any in the script section in xbmc...

Anyway, thanks for this awsome script...just need to figure out the sound problem...no sound at all...

- cyberpark - 2009-07-24

solamnic Wrote:a) by saying it installs skins u mean it installs also aeon?? and which one ? v 091 stark or svn (auriga) ?

Aeon is not default installed by the XBMC Repositories. You can install Aeon after you have finished the script of course. Do this after you have installed XBMC to get Aeon Start etc:

Code:
#INSTALL GIT CORE
sudo apt-get install git-core

#INSTALL AEON STARK
cd ~/.xbmc/skin
git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git "Aeon Stark"
cd "Aeon Stark"
git pull

solamnic Wrote:b) is it possible in ur script to make it install lirc? (the program that controls remotes in linux).. (and Deluge... (torrent client Smile)
Yes, you can uncomment line "#apt-get install lirc -y" in the script.
Or you just just press ALT+F2 after you have installed XBMC, and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc -y

solamnic Wrote:c) this installation plays fine audio from hdmi or optical?
Yes it should, like every other XBMC installation.

solamnic Wrote:d) the X problem?
(When coming out of sleep via wake on USB an X cursor is shown on screen and remains until the system is rebooted.)

Correct.

solamnic Wrote:e) will be able to play 1080p /24hz?

Mine does after I'we installed it, yes.
Just remember to set your interface in XBMC to "Automatic Refresh" and be sure to have a TV to support the resolution.

solamnic Wrote:f) since i want to use my asrock as torrent client also (never turn it off), will ubuntu minimal be enough? or have to use full ubuntu installation?
In principal you could install a web based torrent client on your box, so it will run in the background. You could access it trough any webbrowser. Look at etc http://torrentflux.com/

- cyberpark - 2009-07-24

r3600 Wrote:I have runned your script and it works Big Grin Got XBMC installed
BUT I dont have any sound Sad I use HDMI..Have searched for solutions, but no luck

Anyway, thanks for this awsome script...just need to figure out the sound problem...no sound at all...

Maybe this link will give you answers

- r3600 - 2009-07-24

no luck at all! Sad