Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Remote for Android - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for Android Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=129)
+---- Thread: XBMC Remote for Android (/showthread.php?tid=55346)

- NewNole2001 - 2009-11-09

I downloaded the new version to my Droid. After I inputted my xbmc ip address, the app successfully connected to the xbmc instance, popped up an error message that went away in less than a tenth of second.

After that, when i clicked on any of the buttons on the screen, the screen would just go black and nothing would happen.

I reverted to the previous version for now.

- StarChild - 2009-11-09

sweet Smile

I have a suggestion: Roll the text that are selected in the music view. As it is now it shows "Filename...".

EDIT: Also roll the text in notification bar if its to big. Roll it one and then stop.

I really like the now playing in notification bar. Nice work! Smile

- freezy - 2009-11-09

NewNole2001 Wrote:I downloaded the new version to my Droid. After I inputted my xbmc ip address, the app successfully connected to the xbmc instance, popped up an error message that went away in less than a tenth of second.

After that, when i clicked on any of the buttons on the screen, the screen would just go black and nothing would happen.

I reverted to the previous version for now.

Just a black screen? Now that's a new one. So you're saying that the five entries on the home menu are there (remote, music, video, pictures, now playing), but when you click on either of them the screen gets black? What do you mean by black? Is the title bar visible? Does the "back" button bring you back to the home menu? This worked correctly in 0.5.14?

- colm - 2009-11-09

Hi guys

Bit of an odd one now....I had this most excellent app all running just fine but recently updatesd to a new version of the app and also reinstalled xbmc due to a pc crash.

Long story cut short I put all my usual settings in xbmc and my g1 and running the latest version of the remote I can now only access the remote control....I used to have full access tot my music library via the g1 but as I say now I only have the remote.

Anyone know what cxauses this? Note; the remote works just fine! Just no access to my music etc any more!

freezy Wrote:Just a black screen? Now that's a new one. So you're saying that the five entries on the home menu are there (remote, music, video, pictures, now playing), but when you click on either of them the screen gets black? What do you mean by black? Is the title bar visible? Does the "back" button bring you back to the home menu? This worked correctly in 0.5.14?

Correct, home screen shows up fine, but clicking an icon brings up a black screen. Hitting the back button does nothing. If I hit the home button I can get back to my phone's home screen. The screen is completely black save for the notification bar at the top. If I hit the home button then click on the XBMC remote app icon, the app opens at the home screen and reconnects to my xbox.

The app worked well in 0.5.14. It would crash from time to time, but nothing I couldn't deal with given the ongoing development. I reverted to this version and everything went back to working.

- seaweeduk - 2009-11-09

Hi guys, just wanted to say I'm blown away with .15 thanks so much for implementing the notification bar changes, its getting really hard to find any bugs at the moment which is a good thing I guess :-)

Looking forward very much to see what future versions bring once again great work all involved

freezy, if you can think of what might be messing it up and have an interim build you want me to try, just PM me and I'll give you my Droid's email address.

You can email me a link to the APK or the APK itself and I'll let you know.

For the record, I tried both a clean install and installing over a 14. Neither method produced a working xbmc remote.

I'm running Android 2.0 on the Moto Droid, don't know if that could be a problem?

- freezy - 2009-11-09

NewNole2001 Wrote:Correct, home screen shows up fine, but clicking an icon brings up a black screen. Hitting the back button does nothing. If I hit the home button I can get back to my phone's home screen. The screen is completely black save for the notification bar at the top. If I hit the home button then click on the XBMC remote app icon, the app opens at the home screen and reconnects to my xbox.

The app worked well in 0.5.14. It would crash from time to time, but nothing I couldn't deal with given the ongoing development. I reverted to this version and everything went back to working.

Okay. That's weird indeed. Does the settings screen work? Can you disable the notifications, exit (with exit button) and try again? Will install the 2.0 SDK today in order to see if I can reproduce that.

@colm: You sure XBMC's web server is activated and the port is correct? You can test this by launching
Code:
http://xbmc:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=GetSystemInfo(120)
in Android's browser (or your PC's), don't forget to replace "xbmc" in the URL with the IP address of the box XBMC is running on.

@StarChild: Yeah thought about scrolling text too, but I didn't found anything out-of-the-box in Android. Thanks for the ticket, that makes me have a look at it again. Wink

@seaweeduk: Cheers mate, kind words are always motivating. Creds for the notification bar go to the_alien though. Smile

freezy Wrote:Okay. That's weird indeed. Does the settings screen work? Can you disable the notifications, exit (with exit button) and try again? Will install the 2.0 SDK today in order to see if I can reproduce that.

Turned off notifications. Now it works fine. So there's a lead.

- freezy - 2009-11-09

NewNole2001 Wrote:Turned off notifications. Now it works fine. So there's a lead.

Okay the_alien, can you hunt that bugger down? Smile

Also, I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to clear the settings b/c the menu button did nothing after the app had connected to xbmc.

- mikkle - 2009-11-09

NewNole2001 Wrote:Turned off notifications. Now it works fine. So there's a lead.

The Notifications trigger a poller, which polls xbmc for status every second, and wrong ip-settings really messes this up.
the_alien is working on hardening the error handling in the connection code, so this is going to be solved, no worries! :]

:O) Mikkle

mikkle Wrote:The Notifications trigger a poller, which polls xbmc for status every second, and wrong ip-settings really messes this up.
the_alien is working on hardening the error handling in the connection code, so this is going to be solved, no worries! :]

:O) Mikkle

Polling for status every second seems like it could burn the battery excessively.

This issue popped up when I had the correct IP settings. Let me know if you need help testing the fixes. I don't mind having the app crash if we know we're moving towards a fix.

Maybe I'll install eclipse and start playing in the sdk..

- freezy - 2009-11-09

NewNole2001 Wrote:Polling for status every second seems like it could burn the battery excessively.

This issue popped up when I had the correct IP settings. Let me know if you need help testing the fixes. I don't mind having the app crash if we know we're moving towards a fix.

Maybe I'll install eclipse and start playing in the sdk..

I know. We'll have to find the balance between not polling too much and still be more or less accurate. Now, if you pause XBMC, the remote displays that status at most one second later. But if you wanted to see it updated 10 seconds later in favor of battery life, we would certainly be able to push up the poller frequency, or at least make it configurable.

But my guess is once Camelot is done, we'll all pressure topfs2 for adding a bi-directional event server Smile

Concerning the black screen. It still should not show happen. It should at least display an error message. Does the notifications now work with your correct settings?

If you're able to install Eclipse that would of course accelerate the debugging process, since you could just pull the SVN updates and push it to your phone instead of having to wait for each release.

freezy Wrote:Concerning the black screen. It still should not show happen. It should at least display an error message. Does the notifications now work with your correct settings?

If you're able to install Eclipse that would of course accelerate the debugging process, since you could just pull the SVN updates and push it to your phone instead of having to wait for each release.

An error message was displayed upon initial connection to XBMC, but it disappeared before I could read it. It just flashed and was gone. No error messages were displayed after clicking on an icon. I really think the app crashed in some fashion that Android couldn't detect.

Any recommendations of a step by step for getting up and running with the SDK? I've got it installed, but not Eclipse (I'm a C# dev by day, so Java shouldn't be too difficult to pick up.. again.. since I did java development back in my CS undergrad days)