Kodi Community Forum
Lithium - Yet another skin in development for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: Lithium - Yet another skin in development for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=57227)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- mavgink - 2009-09-04

awesome skin...
like the simple look...

using it now...

Smile

- mavgink - 2009-09-14

any progress?

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-14

So far the favorite here has been Zen while over on the plex forums people are favoring Lithium. Its still a bit too early in development to decide on the name just yet so I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the votes and name suggestions so far everyone.

natethomas Wrote:something about it reminds me of Ubuntu.
I've been getting that a lot. I think it's the dual bar design of the layout with the header and footer. And although they're the same size because of the larger icons the header feels much larger than it actually is. It's something to work on.

mavgink Wrote:awesome skin...
like the simple look...

using it now...

Smile
Let me know how it is so far. I know the skins rough but focus testing early helps avoid chronic design flaws that are a pain to fix down the line.

mavgink Wrote:any progress?

Development has slowed down a bit with the school semester starting but I've carved out a block of my time on a couple of days so hopefully we'll see some steady development going again. I burnt myself out a little bit and had to walk away from the project for a week or two to come back with fresh eyes. I've found some great inspiration and have some ideas on how to polish up the style and flow of the skin some more.

- paularms - 2009-09-20

This. Is. Perfect.

So many skins that have been mocked up and/or released lately have way too much stuff showing all over them. You've stripped the views down to the essentials. This is Zen. Less is more.

Nice work, I can't wait until it's finished and ready for full-time use!

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-21

Naming:
So right now the most popular names seem to be Lithium and Zen and voting has them stuck at dead even. We need a tie-breaker here. : )

Progress
Right now I'm working on a slim list view. I'm trying to find a happy balance between Surface and Aeon's list views with my own twist to it. I'm also playing around a bit more with the header. Here's some mock-ups that I'm playing with right now:

Image Image

Image Image

paularms Wrote:This. Is. Perfect.

So many skins that have been mocked up and/or released lately have way too much stuff showing all over them. You've stripped the views down to the essentials. This is Zen. Less is more.

Nice work, I can't wait until it's finished and ready for full-time use!

Thanks for the input it's coming along slowly but surely.

- paularms - 2009-09-21

reddragon220 Wrote:Image

This one gets my vote. Please don't lose the clock from any view. I'm also not sure that the second (or third) cover image hiding behind the current is necessary, as you can already see what's coming next in the list on the left.

- thrasherx - 2009-09-21

Maybe also make a "super slim list" that would leave off the smaller icons and allow for you to see 9 series at a time? But perhaps that wouldn't work with this skin.

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-23

paularms Wrote:This one gets my vote. Please don't lose the clock from any view. I'm also not sure that the second (or third) cover image hiding behind the current is necessary, as you can already see what's coming next in the list on the left.
I'll try not to let it get lost.

thrasherx Wrote:Maybe also make a "super slim list" that would leave off the smaller icons and allow for you to see 9 series at a time? But perhaps that wouldn't work with this skin.
It's actually very feasible to add an option to show the thumbnails or not to all of the lists. I'll keep this in mind.

Naming
I tallied up all of the votes between here, the plex forums, and amongst some friends and the winner is...
Lithium!

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
And to the Zen contingent here - Looks like we were beat to the punch by Creative with the Creative Zen media player. But on the upside we can say that our media center is Li-ion powered. Laugh (alright enough of my bad humor)

Progress
Here's a mockup for a slim list info mode. I tried stacking frames similar to how the covers look but it only ends up making things hard to read and messy so the info frame here is extra wide. This should be apt space for adding studio tags and what not down the line.

- kizer - 2009-09-23

I like the slim look myself. Clean to the point.

- DDM123 - 2009-09-25

Very nice skin for standard-def TV's, for those of us that still use them.

- DaveHope - 2009-09-26

Awesome skin!, some great progress.

Love the FanArt view and can't wait to see the new slim view you're working on.

Alas, trying to browse my music collection is completely broken at the moment. Can't change view or browse the lists. Only button that seems to work is the backup one.

Great skin, will be watching its progress closely!

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-26

DaveHope Wrote:Awesome skin!, some great progress.

Love the FanArt view and can't wait to see the new slim view you're working on.

Alas, trying to browse my music collection is completely broken at the moment. Can't change view or browse the lists. Only button that seems to work is the backup one.

Great skin, will be watching its progress closely!
Thanks for the encouragement DaveHope. Could you be a bit more specific with what's going wrong with the music view? What view are you using and what are you looking at (albums, songs, genres, etc.)? I can't replicate this in my build.

Progress
Here's early work revising the preferences pane - things are starting to look a little more distinct, button revisions, and another color has finally been added to Lithium's palette. And some work on a new OSD as well.

And I had some free time so I started playing around with icons now that we have a name. Feel free to contribute an icon design or throw one of these into your sig. Let's build up some support for the skin. B)

ImageImageImage

- DaveHope - 2009-09-26

reddragon220 Wrote:Thanks for the encouragement DaveHope. Could you be a bit more specific with what's going wrong with the music view? What view are you using and what are you looking at (albums, songs, genres, etc.)? I can't replicate this in my build.

Typical, restarted XBMC and it doesn't happen any more Smile Love the new screenshots.

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-27

DaveHope Wrote:Typical, restarted XBMC and it doesn't happen any more Smile Love the new screenshots.

I hate it when that happens. Laugh Well if you do spot anything else let me know.

September 27, 2009 - NEW VERSION UPLOADED
Notable Changes:
- Preferences windows implemented
9/27/09 - V2.1 updates
- Header ui updated
- Now Playing
- Now Playing controls
- bug that caused Music submenu buttons to jump into file mode (disappearing music collection bug) fixed

- reddragon220 - 2009-09-28

September 29, 2009 - NEW VERSION UPLOADED
- Lithium Preferences implemented
- Ken Burns effect extended to all windows
- Option to enable/disable Ken Burns effect
- Sort by (Name, Year, Episodes) option
- Sort order (Ascending, Descending) option
- Developer Mode
- Seek bar UI update
- Now Playing OSD implemented