Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- jalesm - 2009-10-29

azido Wrote:hmm

what's the deal with the behaviour of stacked movies in 24102?

right now, when i scan those into lib, i get two entries for every stacked movie now.. one with the cover, the 2nd with just the startup scene still.

although "treat stacked files as single file" is set.

Two stacking expressions were removed here. You can always add them back in advanced settings.

- nekrosoft13 - 2009-10-29

24102 is quite busted, another bug, can't go back a level from episodes view.

- azido - 2009-10-29

jalesm Wrote:Two stacking expressions were removed here. You can always add them back in advanced settings.

ok, that explains why

movie-cd1.avi
movie-cd2.avi

is working as usual, but

movie-a.avi
movie-b.avi and

movie-1.avi
movie-2.avi

doesn't anymore.

thanks for pointing me to.

- joshuass - 2009-10-29

So I went searching in the changelogs for anything that might have changed between 23739 and 24064 for the DX build that may have anything to do with my framerate problem. I couldn't really find anything. Makes me wish I new a little more about the gui and video renderer Sad. I'll attempt to update to the latest DX version tonight maybe. Or I may just stick with the GL build for awhile.

- paco - 2009-10-29

joshuass Wrote:So I went searching in the changelogs for anything that might have changed between 23739 and 24064 for the DX build that may have anything to do with my framerate problem. I couldn't really find anything. Makes me wish I new a little more about the gui and video renderer Sad. I'll attempt to update to the latest DX version tonight maybe. Or I may just stick with the GL build for awhile.

Are you using portable mode? The reason I ask is because if you are, renaming the XBMC directory and installing a fresh copy will give you default settings. I ONLY use portable mode because it is convenient to make backups of XBMC and all my settings. At the moment, the DX versions are working great and if Windows is running in the correct refresh rate, XBMC will see it. If you aren't running portable mode, I recommend you try an install with it enabled. Good Luck!

- joshuass - 2009-10-30

So I updated to 24114 tonight. Smooth a butter again (DX build-wise). Talk about a strange phenomenon. I can't wrap my brain around it.

I used the update tool to update from 24102GL to 24114DX, BTW.Big Grin

- azido - 2009-10-30

could one of the forum mods or admins please stick this thread and/or change the topic to
"user experiences so far with the current dx/gl builds of xbmc - share them here.."

seems like a lot of users don't see/know this thread and therefor post their findings inappropriate into kricker's build thread..

thanks.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-30

Moved from Third Party SVN thread:

Quote:I'm running 24114 DX and Aeon Showmix. It's great that the fanart problem seems to have been solved. At least partially anyway.

So if I go into the movies section - browse to say "ABC Movie" which does not have its own fanart, I can see the default Movie fanart (which in my case is a random, rotating series of images from XYZ folder). But, in Showmix, from Home > Movies [Down] > Recent and see the recent movie list, the same "ABC Movie" only shows a black background and not the default. Tres strange...

- BIOYAM - 2009-10-30

From the SVN thread:

@StarChild,
I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional.
Also, I don't think your problem is registry related because when I did my clean install, I only deleted the directory and replace it with a zipped DX file from kricker's SVNs.
I noticed you are using GL versions. As a test why not try a DX fresh install in another directory and see if it shows the correct revision number.
Also, when you use "the updater", does it correctly identify the revision number before it upgrades?

I dunno, I think you might be caught in the Twilight Zone or something... lol!!! .... You might just wanna let this version thing go as long as everything else is working.

- StarChild - 2009-10-30

@BIOYAM
Last time I installed the dx build it reported the wrong version number, that was a week ago. The later DX builds doesn't work to install for me. Some file is missing. So I cant tell if thats the same problem there.

The updater reports the right version number, but it don't read the version number from XBMC, but from updater.xml.

Regards StarChild

EDIT: Ok, just installed the missing dll and r24114-DX reports r24114 so it seems that it's just the GL build for now.

- azido - 2009-10-31

hmmm...

the ongoing removal of more and more settings makes it more hard for the experienced user to keep track of what has to go into advancedsettings.xml than it saves novice users from too much options to handle.

i never saw an application so far where the more expert settings have to go in an extra file to be enabled - except xbmc.

i understand the wish to have a clean settings interface - but i think you aready crossed the (good) boundaries of less used options to outsource.

now i don't even see any upscaling options in settings anymore. what's the deal?

in my opinon you really should more likely go for a switch in settings between a standard and an expert mode, but keep options inside the settings gui instead of making the user deal with more and more settings he has to enter manually in advancedsettings.xml and therefore look for the correct syntax in the online manual again and again..

at least that's the behaviour of almost all the software i ever used to handle the switch between standard and advanced settings..

- jmarshall - 2009-10-31

The only upscaling options that have gone are the "software upscaling" ones, which the vast majority of people don't understand ("High quality - it MUST be what I want... WTF does everything go so slow nowHuh") and more importantly don't need.

We'd welcome a UI built up around that file, but I see very little point for it existing within XBMC itself, for a very simple reason: If it's there, people WILL muck around with them, and then complain when stuff stops working. Given that it's not there, people generally DON'T bother with it, and thus things keep working nicely.

Remember: There is only a very small minority of users that come to these forums. Of those users, only a small minority actually want or need any of the features available via advancedsettings.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- LyndonW - 2009-10-31

Some things I think could be thrown into the actual GUI. A good example being:

<videolibrary>
<hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>
</videolibrary>

Im sure alot of people dont know about this one but it sure does make my tv shows look alot nicer.

On a side note, the dx builds have taken over as my main xbmc for the last couple weeks. Havent had any complaints! Im on Windows 7, 64 bit. Nvidia 6600. Athlon Dual Core 2.2 ghz.

- Kyusaku - 2009-10-31

Disc playback hasn't worked for more for serveral revisions now. The last one that worked was r24064. Last tested build was r24148.

- neil.j1983 - 2009-10-31

Kyusaku Wrote:Disc playback hasn't worked for more for serveral revisions now. The last one that worked was r24064. Last tested build was r24148.

same here.

jmarshall Wrote:The only upscaling options that have gone are the "software upscaling" ones, which the vast majority of people don't understand ("High quality - it MUST be what I want... WTF does everything go so slow nowHuh") and more importantly don't need.
is it possible to enable sinc/lanczos etc upscaling in DX builds then (through advancedsettings.xml)?

I looked on the wiki but can't find a reference to it.

Perhaps "high quality upscaling" should have been renamed to "Software Upscaling" and when you eneable it a popup says "this requires a very fast cpu, if your video does not display smooth, you should turn this option off, Are you sure you want to enable this option? [yes][no]", just my 2 pennies (if its even worth that!)