Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- nvaia - 2009-11-12

dleach Wrote:Okay, I uninstalled the stable version and reinstalled the alpha and I still get the white screen on the video.

delete the user data folder and update to newest build

- neil.j1983 - 2009-11-13

jmarshall Wrote:The only upscaling options that have gone are the "software upscaling" ones, which the vast majority of people don't understand ("High quality - it MUST be what I want... WTF does everything go so slow nowHuh") and more importantly don't need.

Cheers,
Jonathan

now they are gone, how can we enable them? through advanced settings, and if so, can you give me an example?

edit - is this it? - http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=428698&postcount=4

edit2: I've noticed that up to the alpha2 posted yesterday or so, that DX builds are not as smooth as the gl builds, it looks like it's dropping frames all the time, but none are being dropped and cpu usage is fairly low.

- hokemon - 2009-11-15

dleach Wrote:My problem is similar. I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop with an NVidia Geforce 4200 video. I installed the 9.11 alpha build and when I watch videos I can hear the sound correctly but the video screen is white?

I see the GeForce 4200 is only DirectX 8.1 compatible. I'm having exactly the same issues with my ATI Radeon 9250, which is also 8.1

I guess this means for XBMC 9.11 a DX9+ card is a must?

- azido - 2009-11-15

hokemon Wrote:I see the GeForce 4200 is only DirectX 8.1 compatible. I'm having exactly the same issues with my ATI Radeon 9250, which is also 8.1

I guess this means for XBMC 9.11 a DX9+ card is a must?

lol.. somehow xbmc goes the microsoft way - in order to get it running, you need new hardware Laugh

- bobrooney_78 - 2009-11-15

dleach Wrote:My problem is similar. I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop with an NVidia Geforce 4200 video. I installed the 9.11 alpha build and when I watch videos I can hear the sound correctly but the video screen is white?

I made sure all drivers were current to no avail.

I then uninstalled the alpha and installed the Babylon release and that seems to be working. Tried searching for this problem but haven't seen it commented on yet. I admit that my laptop is old but...

i have the same problem with Camelot A2 - video screen is white, sound is working. With an old Pentium-M notebook and Intel GM855 GFX. Babylon is working fine.

- dj_gerbil - 2009-11-15

bobrooney_78 Wrote:i have the same problem with Camelot A2 - video screen is white, sound is working. With an old Pentium-M notebook and Intel GM855 GFX. Babylon is working fine.

I don't want to state the obvious but, Babylon was Open-GL where as Camelot is DirectX. It might be worth you grabbing one of the GL builds off here and give it a go. That'll tell you for definite whether it is a DirectX problem or not.

- Jackie78 - 2009-11-16

Strange effect: when I play music in visualization mode, fullscreen, and then press Alt-F4, the GUI is closed, but the music still playing. XBMC process is still running, I have to kill it using Tasmanager.

- HexusOdy - 2009-11-19

I can honestly say that on the crappy Atom based Nettop with Intel VGA I'm running a2 on I haven't had a major problem.

Video playback is smooth and some of the OGL niggles I used to have are gone.

The only thing I have the odd problem with is rewind. On the odd occasion it will get stuck in a 2 second loop when trying to rewind, or on both FF and RW it will sometimes go a little out of sync when you play again.

But other than that no problems.

9.11a2 working *very* nicely! - therealjoeblow - 2009-11-23

The latest Camelot 9.11 Alpha 2 is working *very* nicely on my setup, configured as follows:

Motherboard: GA-MA78GM-S2HP Rev.2.0
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Video: ATI Radeon HD3200 (onboard IGP/780G Chipset)
Driver: Catalyst 9.10
DirectX ver: Full Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime v-9.27.1734 (09.Aug.2009)
Display: Panasonic Panasonic TH-50PZ800, 1920x1080@60hz, directly connected to PC via HDMI (1:1 pixel mapping, no overscan)
Audio: Onboard Realtek ALC889A, DD/DTS bitstreaming via Toslink to Yamaha HTR-6140

Video playback is very smooth in general for all content, I only see a few no apparent hickups (jerky playback for a few seconds) on some 720p or 1080p x264 material with DTS audio when the OSD in the built-in player comes up, I guess it's a product of the transparent video overlay. It goes away in a few seconds when the OSD is cancelled, back to smooth playback, and doesn't appear to affect HD content with AC3 audio, nor SD (xvid) material.

No apparent problems with colors, brightness, contrast, etc. No glitches that I can see in the menus or other parts of the UI, it all works very well. All of the movie display modes (cover flow, thumbnails, fanart, etc. etc.) work very well, motion and operation is smooth and seamless. I tried the built-in PM3-HD skin, as well as Aeon, MediaStream, MediaStream Redux, Rapier, and Transparency!, all of them work very well.

My previous playback setup was ZoomPlayer 7.00RC1 using FFDShow and AC3Filter, and the new setup with XBMC is *way* more functional, and nearly as good, with one notable exception:

ZP+FFDShow was *much* sharper, using resize to 1920x1080 for all content with w<1920 and Lanczos 6 taps (which works just fine without taxing this hardware at all); the current XBMC DirectX implementation appears to have disabled all of the advanced resizing algorithms, since all I see available are "nearest neighbor" and "bilinear", both of which are quite soft looking compared to ZP+FFDshow+Lanczos, but I'm guessing (praying?) that future post-alpha builds will add back in some advanced scalers that can sharpen the image on capable hardware once the newer builds are more stable?

That, or adding FFDShow as a video decoder would be another great solution/addition, since all of those options are already available in this decoder...

One last note - whatever renderer is currently being used works fine, it's just as good as either Overlay or VMR7 with ZoomPlayer, which also work flawlessly. However, if i use VMR9 or EVR with any other player on this hardware, then I experience *horrible* tearing which cannot be overcome. So if there is future consideration regarding the DirectX renderer, please do NOT lock it down to VMR9 like so many other applications do. Either continue to use Overlay (which I'm guessing it does now based on how well it works), or at least give the user options, because VMR9 on XP doesn't work very well at all!

Cheers, and thanks for a great experience so far!
The REAL Joe

EDIT: BTW, you've got to be kidding me that software this capable, with such a rich feature set and user experience, and particularly stable even at al alpha stage is FREE! Well done to all those involved in XBMC development! Thank you!

- xalaros - 2009-12-01

Well mine is not quite a good experience.
I was using 24195 build from xbmcupdate and i did a clean install off both windows 7 x64 and xbmc camelot beta1. I installed also ati drivers 9.11 and realtek hdmi audio 2.35 and realtek audio codec 2.37 which at the time of writing is the latests levels. I have a c2d 6750 and a ati 4850 on my htpc.
My experience is a bit different from everybody else, i seem to be having problems on the XBMC menus and not while playing back videos(haven't tried music). It seems random and doesn't happen all the time but while browsing through the menus the TV goes blank and no matter what i do i can't get a screen back, i even tried hibernating and awaking the machine and still it wakes up in a black screen, the only solution is a cold reboot of the HTPC. The wierd part is that closing xbmc or ctrl+alt+del don't help at all, it would seem that once the operating system takes control of the video everything should go back to normal but as i said not even hibernating and waking up helps.
Anyway back to 24195 gl version from xbmcupdate with software rendering and confluence skin till the dx version becomes usable for me.
Anyway anyone else with issues like mineHuh or is there a build that fixes such issues??

- therealjoeblow - 2009-12-01

xalaros Wrote:Well mine is not quite a good experience.
I was using 24195 build from xbmcupdate and i did a clean install off both windows 7 x64 and xbmc camelot beta1. I installed also ati drivers 9.11 and realtek hdmi audio 2.35 and realtek audio codec 2.37 which at the time of writing is the latests levels. I have a c2d 6750 and a ati 4850 on my htpc.
My experience is a bit different from everybody else, i seem to be having problems on the XBMC menus and not while playing back videos(haven't tried music). It seems random and doesn't happen all the time but while browsing through the menus the TV goes blank and no matter what i do i can't get a screen back, i even tried hibernating and awaking the machine and still it wakes up in a black screen, the only solution is a cold reboot of the HTPC. The wierd part is that closing xbmc or ctrl+alt+del don't help at all, it would seem that once the operating system takes control of the video everything should go back to normal but as i said not even hibernating and waking up helps.
Anyway back to 24195 gl version from xbmcupdate with software rendering and confluence skin till the dx version becomes usable for me.
Anyway anyone else with issues like mineHuh or is there a build that fixes such issues??

Well, in the interest of further testing whether it's specific to the new DX code you could try the latest nightly SVN 25010 build from:

http://sshcs.com/xbmc/

The SVN build is available both as the DX version that Camelot is migrating to, and also an OGL version. Try the OGL version of 25010, and if everything works for you with that, then your problem is narrowed down to the DX interfaces; if you still have problems with the OGL version of 25010, then it's something in the newer code overall and not specific to DX or OGL.

Cheers,
The REAL Joe

- xalaros - 2009-12-02

therealjoeblow Wrote:Well, in the interest of further testing whether it's specific to the new DX code you could try the latest nightly SVN 25010 build from:

http://sshcs.com/xbmc/

The SVN build is available both as the DX version that Camelot is migrating to, and also an OGL version. Try the OGL version of 25010, and if everything works for you with that, then your problem is narrowed down to the DX interfaces; if you still have problems with the OGL version of 25010, then it's something in the newer code overall and not specific to DX or OGL.

Cheers,
The REAL Joe

Well already did that downloaded both OGL and DX versions of svn 25010 and 25122 of the dx version, i am currently went to the 25122dx in fact.
Ok, here is the thing with OGL version i haven't managed to reproduce the problem but i have a problem with video playback because i get flashing screens instead of video, in 24195 there was an option to change the renderer from auto detect to software rendering and then everything was fine i can't seem to find the same option on 25010 for some reason.
Also on the DX version i have deselected the use full screen windows instead of true fullscreen and the problem seems to be ok for now, although i haven't played with it that much. Another thing i should mention is that it definately is a problem with the ATI card or drivers because on my nvidia PC i have no such problems. If i have some time today i will try to enable the windowed fullscreen option again and recreate the problem and get a log for analysis.

Also maybe it is relevant that i am using the ati hdmi audio interface for digital sound as well and not spdif from my sound card. I remember some time ago there was an issue with
menu skin sound effects crashing xbmc and we had to turn them off, so maybe it is something like that again since once playback is started i haven't reproduced the issue, it only happens on the menus.

- hoozel - 2009-12-21

I know on a friends system i built i had nothing but isses with the 9.11 Catalyst drivers. try goin back to the ones that came on the disk with the Card. I did this and cured isses on two machines with ATI HDMI.

- smeehrrr - 2010-01-07

stoli Wrote:A little OT, but one of the nice side effects of the dx builds I just noticed was that you can now use xbmc via remote desktop without a hitch...

Does this still work? I know I was able to do this at one point but with a private build I just did from trunk it no longer works, it fails in CreateDevice when setting up D3D.

- WiSo - 2010-01-07

works fine with ultravnc. Dunno about other tools.