Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware? (/showthread.php?tid=58718)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- subassy - 2009-10-18

I was just wondering (assuming this is the right place to ask) is there a way to use the telnet shell/CLI to make a video start playing on the TV with this box? I was trying to do a command with DvdPlayer but it did not work.

The goal I had in mind was to eventually setup some kind of CRON schedule so I could use that in conjunction with my TV powering on to wake myself up to a specific video or audio file playing.

I still have the original 1.07 firmware, I'll install the latest as soon as I get brave enough if that matters.

- ztc1 - 2009-10-18

Hello Everyone,

I just got my o!play today it seems pretty great so far but XBMC is my true love. Once I got my box I updated to the new firmware and it is all working.

I telneted in to run some commands and noticed my drive seems smaller them a lot of other users that have posted here.

/dev/root 86.8M 86.8M 0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/2 16.0M 2.1M 13.9M 13% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0 40.0k 40.0k 0 100% /mnt/rd

I also tried to install the optwarwe but my drive is full as you can see.

Has anyone else had this problem

Thanks

- Koenradus - 2009-10-18

Not a lot of free space, so just add a USB pendrive to get some more. As there is free space in the /usr/local/etc/ mount and this is mounted rw by default this is as good a place as any to create a mountpoint for you opt folder. Just do:
Code:
cd /usr/local/etc
mkdir opt
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/ opt
Now you can install optware in the opt dir, which is mounted on the pendrive.

- ztc1 - 2009-10-18

Koenradus

Thanks that is what I ended up doing. I got the Bittorrent Client installs and also got openssh up and running.

great little box so far.

To get ssh access I had to change the following in the /opt/etc/openssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin yes
PermitEmptyPasswords yes

Then to start the server use
/opt/etc/init.d/S40sshd start

VERY unsecured I know, do we know if setting a root password affects the unit at all?

Thanks

few questions: - waldo22 - 2009-10-18

You guys have done a lot of neat work with this, and even piqued the interest of an XBMC dev (davilla).

HOWEVER, I haven't seen the following 2 obvious points addressed at all:

1) has anyone noticed that this chip uses the MIPS architecture? If so, is anyone working on porting XBMC to MIPS? I think the answer is "no", but if one of you tech types wants to try, you could check out what McGeagh has done with his ARM port

2) does this chip even have any 3D hardware at all? It seems like the answer is also "no". XBMC needs 3D acceleration for the GUI to work with ANY skin. Since it's Linux, that means it has to be OpenGL at this point AFAIK. The chip appears to be the Realtek "Venus" RTD1073

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but no one is talking about either of these two things. Does anyone have any answers?

One good thing about the Realtek SoCs versus the Sigma Designs 863x and 865x is that the Realtek architecture seems to be much more open, so if it has 3D hardware, at least we can develop for that platform. The Sigma boxes (WD TV, WD Live, Popcorn Hour, Mvix, Tvix, Netgear EVA-9000/9150, D-link DSM, etc.) seem to be a lost cause.

-Wes

- hijack204 - 2009-10-18

ztc1 Wrote:Koenradus

Thanks that is what I ended up doing. I got the Bittorrent Client installs and also got openssh up and running.

great little box so far.

To get ssh access I had to change the following in the /opt/etc/openssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin yes
PermitEmptyPasswords yes

Then to start the server use
/opt/etc/init.d/S40sshd start

VERY unsecured I know, do we know if setting a root password affects the unit at all?

Thanks

I mounted the drive rw and gave root a password. It didn't cause any issues.

- katus - 2009-10-18

CrashX Wrote:Package all the above stuff into a script to do it automatically for new users ...

Where is the script to download it?? I want install bittorrent client and megaupload. Have a manual to how to isntall it? I`m Rookie on linux.

- CrashX - 2009-10-19

The script doesn't exist yet but everything you asked is do able via optware packages ..

- hijack204 - 2009-10-19

waldo22 Wrote:You guys have done a lot of neat work with this, and even piqued the interest of an XBMC dev (davilla).

HOWEVER, I haven't seen the following 2 obvious points addressed at all:

1) has anyone noticed that this chip uses the MIPS architecture? If so, is anyone working on porting XBMC to MIPS? I think the answer is "no", but if one of you tech types wants to try, you could check out what McGeagh has done with his ARM port

2) does this chip even have any 3D hardware at all? It seems like the answer is also "no". XBMC needs 3D acceleration for the GUI to work with ANY skin. Since it's Linux, that means it has to be OpenGL at this point AFAIK. The chip appears to be the Realtek "Venus" RTD1073

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but no one is talking about either of these two things. Does anyone have any answers?

One good thing about the Realtek SoCs versus the Sigma Designs 863x and 865x is that the Realtek architecture seems to be much more open, so if it has 3D hardware, at least we can develop for that platform. The Sigma boxes (WD TV, WD Live, Popcorn Hour, Mvix, Tvix, Netgear EVA-9000/9150, D-link DSM, etc.) seem to be a lost cause.

-Wes

You just broke my heart!! Thanks for the info though

- katus - 2009-10-19

CrashX Wrote:The script doesn't exist yet but everything you asked is do able via optware packages ..

any tutorial/manual about optware packages? i dont know what is that Confused

- CrashX - 2009-10-19

New firmware update:

1.Improve the compatibility of HDMI cable
2.Add video/audio information when pressing “DISPLAY” button twice
3.Add thumbnail view for picture browsing
4.Add more setting choices of subtitle such as color, font size, and location etc.
5.Add sorting ways for easy file searching

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?product=19&model=O!Play%20HDP-R1&SLanguage=en-us&os=5

- CrashX - 2009-10-19

katus Wrote:any tutorial/manual about optware packages? i dont know what is that Confused

The following link should give you some information about it:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Packages?from=Unslung.Packages

Most of those packages are available for Asus O!Play as well.

- micr0 - 2009-10-19

Hey folks,

I'm been working on getting this on my box diligently this weekend with much much success. The only problem I'm facing is, has any body been able to get custom scripts to run on boot up? Since I'm running most of optware application on a external drive, I tried editing the fstab to change the mounting of the partitions to rw instead of ro without success. I also tried editing the rcS file also. I ended up creating a script to remount all partitions and enable samba manually, which is a pain in the arse if I ever to reboot the unit.

- katus - 2009-10-19

CrashX Wrote:The following link should give you some information about it:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Packages?from=Unslung.Packages

Most of those packages are available for Asus O!Play as well.

thanks!

- hijack204 - 2009-10-20

micr0 Wrote:Hey folks,

I'm been working on getting this on my box diligently this weekend with much much success. The only problem I'm facing is, has any body been able to get custom scripts to run on boot up? Since I'm running most of optware application on a external drive, I tried editing the fstab to change the mounting of the partitions to rw instead of ro without success. I also tried editing the rcS file also. I ended up creating a script to remount all partitions and enable samba manually, which is a pain in the arse if I ever to reboot the unit.

Try putting it in this file

/usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/script/run_tail