Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-08

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS guys !

Nvidia 190 series video drivers break lpcm hd audio. For some users it completely breaks sound for some users it makes 6 channels out of 8. For me it makes 2 channels out of 8 or 6.

So it is not Karmic the problem. It is the new nvidia drivers.

Check out this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2119691&posted=1#post2119691

- lloydsmart - 2009-11-09

alanwww1 Wrote:it is not Karmic the problem. It is the new nvidia drivers.

That is interesting, unfortunately I'm still having problems and I'm on the 185 drivers, so it could be Karmic at fault in some cases.

- dogk1cker - 2009-11-10

Hi,

I am having a terrible time trying to get my sound to work in XBMC. I am on Jaunty with the latest XBMC. I have a S/PDIF cable connected to my 9400GT, then a DVI to HDMI to my HD TV. I am using nvidia 185 drivers. I can play MP3 files in Linux and using the Ubuntu MP3 player and the sound from the TV is beautiful but I get no sound from XBMC. Also, I noticed that my HDMI is not listed in below:

xbmc@xbmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724 IEC958]

xbmc@xbmc:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Compiled on Nov 9 2009 for kernel 2.6.28-16-generic (SMP).

Any help would be great. Thanx.

- User 34959 - 2009-11-10

dogk1cker Wrote:card 0: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724 IEC958]

try setting hw:0,1 as your output device in XBMC, or plughw:0,1 or something like that

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-10

dogk1cker Wrote:Hi,

I am having a terrible time trying to get my sound to work in XBMC. I am on Jaunty with the latest XBMC. I have a S/PDIF cable connected to my 9400GT, then a DVI to HDMI to my HD TV. .

Hey Dogk1cker !

Technicly you are NOT using hdmi audio device. You are using simple spdif output redirected to the hdmi cable by the videocard. So your video card does NOT have a dedicated audio hardware element. So you have to do everything as you do with normal SPDIF connection. This guide is absolutely useless for you !

Just set iec958 for both devices and you will be set.

- dogk1cker - 2009-11-11

Guys,

I tried the various things but nothing is working:

Audio Output Device: default, ICE1724, custom hw:0,1, custom plughw:0,1
Passthrough Outpu Device: iec958, hdmi, custom

I don't get access to iec958 for the Audio Output Device. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanx.

- pucko - 2009-11-12

lloydsmart Wrote:snip....

1. Go into System -> Preferences -> Sound in Ubuntu, click on the "Hardware" tab.
  2. Select the second device, which is labelled "Internal Audio. 1 Output. Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output."
  3. Change "Profile" from the menu from "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output" to "Off"
  4. Press "Close".
Then when I launch XBMC, I can play AC3 and DTS tracks, but not anything else! Aaagh!

snipp....

I had the same problem, setting custom Audio Output Device to iec958 in XBMC Audio hardware settings enabeled playback of all sound sources. Big Grin

- lloydsmart - 2009-11-12

@pucko: Sadly, that didn't work for me. I still get "Failed to initialize audio device". Sad

- JUICESIX90 - 2009-11-12

First off, Kudos to you for writing this guide, excellent stuff & something I didn't even realise was possible!

Quick break down of my equipment:

Acer Revo
Ubuntu Jaunty
XBMC
HDMI out into Onkyo 606
5.1 Aego T Surround Sound

I seem to be getting close to this working as when my Revo boots up, the Onkyo displays: PCM Multi CH HDMI Stereo
And I can hear (for the first time ever!) the nav sound in XBMC

However as soon as try and play a movie the Onkyo reverts back to dts (it's default setting) and I loose sound.

When I then stop the movie the nav sounds have gone. If I quit xbmc and go to System > Preferences > Sound Preferences I can no longer select Playback: HDA NVIDIA pulse audio from the default mixer track drop menu, although pulse audio is selectable from the all drop menus above. I can only get it (and the nav sounds) back if i go into terminal and type pulseaudio --start

Any idea why this may be happening?

I do run into a few problems when running through the guide, I'll list them below:

PART 1 SETTING UP ALSA
sudo adduser `who | awk '{print $1}'` audio
I get the message
adduser: Only one or two names allowed.

PART 3: SETTING UP THE SYSTEM THE PULSEAUDIO WAY
/usr/bin/amixer -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958 Default PCM',0 unmute
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0

/usr/bin/amixer -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',0 unmute && /usr/bin/amixer -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',1 unmute
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'IEC958',1

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-13

Hi !

You should not use dts bitstreaming along with pulseaudio. But you don't need it, as now you have lpcm multichannel audio. Just untick the dts,ac3 capability in xbmc's sound setup and you should be fine.

- JUICESIX90 - 2009-11-13

Hi alanwww1, not sure if that reply was meant for me or not but if it was then I already have both dts & AC3 switched off.

- dogk1cker - 2009-11-13

Guys, I got it to work!!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=436443#post436443

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-13

JUICESIX90 Wrote:Hi alanwww1, not sure if that reply was meant for me or not but if it was then I already have both dts & AC3 switched off.

Yes it was meant for you. Sorry that i could not help. I have a minimal install full time on my machine without gdm and pulse so in this direction i am not so trained.

- JUICESIX90 - 2009-11-13

alanwww1 Wrote:Yes it was meant for you. Sorry that i could not help. I have a minimal install full time on my machine without gdm and pulse so in this direction i am not so trained.

No problem.

I decided to try the Alsa way instead last night (deleting all the pulse audio steps)

That all went fine but I'm not able to do though is select hdmi:CARD=NVidia as shown in your xbmc system settings screen grab. The closest I get is HDA NVIDIA - NVIDIA HDA
Thanks for your helpWink

Acer Revo: Me too. - sierradump - 2009-11-13

I too have an Acer Revo.

I saw the note that this ONLY works with v 185 of the nvidia drivers... What will I be missing from v 190 of the nvidia drivers?

I mainly stream my movies and tvshows over my local network.

I have a Pioneer 1018 ahk receiver with HDMI inputs (supports the 2 new HD audio + all the regular stuff) .

Is this something I will need to do to get proper 5.1 sound?