Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- cobra - 2010-01-11

@ Abnormal1

I'd say Thanks.
You were very helpful, I finally managed to map aspectratio & nextsubtitle buttons. Big Grin
Your explanation is really clear!

Do you know how to restart lirc without reboot the pc each time I change parameters in Lircmap.xml ?
THX again!

- Abnormal1 - 2010-01-11

Im guessing but I think you would use

sudo /etc/init.d/lircd restart

In fact thinking about it, you want to restart xbmc and not lirc. Not sure how you do this though so please post it if you find out.

Also.remember you should only change lircmap if you are adding buttons not currently detected by xbmc. Any and all changes to mapping should be done in your custom keymap xml.

- cobra - 2010-01-12

Abnormal1 Wrote:In fact thinking about it, you want to restart xbmc and not lirc. Not sure how you do this though so please post it if you find out.

I found how to restart xbmc without reboot here.

In fact, if you want to restart xbmc without rebooting, drop to a terminal or use ssh and type :
Code:
killall xinit

It works for me. Big Grin

- generator - 2010-01-12

marathont Wrote:I tried this as well, and it seemed to work. But now there is another problem.

The first time I try to suspend, it works and I can successfully resume using the remote.

But after that, every time I try to suspend(via remote or menu), it shuts down, but immediately resumes itself.

Did you (or anyone else) manage to fix this? i'm having the same problem.

- andyjayh - 2010-01-13

generator Wrote:Did you (or anyone else) manage to fix this? i'm having the same problem.

Not found a solution to this problem either. I just fitted an SSD drive to speed up the boot from shutdown, not quite a fix though Laugh

- fr0sty - 2010-01-13

After installing the drivers, my lirc starts normally but irw doesnt give any output when i press the keys of my remote. When i check dmesg i get the following lines:
xbmc@xbmc:/var/log$ sudo dmesg | grep lirc
[ 7.713203] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 7.855864] lirc_wb677: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

Does anyone know whats wrong here?

Remote still not working, after driver installed - whannausexbmc - 2010-01-14

Hi,

it seems like the new driver works for almost everybody but me :-(

My setup:

- ASRock ION 330HT
- Ubuntu 9.10 - 64 bit
- XBMC installed from Ubuntu package.
- Installed the driver: lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.2-ubuntu9.10.deb
After installation, the following is in the /var/log/messages:

[ 1522.170739] lirc_wb677_cir 00:04: disabled
[ 1540.296691] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 1540.305036] lirc_wb677_cir 00:04: activated
[ 1540.305119] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xb4
[ 1540.305130] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x73 expect:0x73
[ 1540.305375] input: MCE Remote Keyboard as /devices/virtual/input/input10
[ 1540.305552] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0

I have tried reboot, reinstall of Ubuntu, restarting lirc, nothing helps. I have tried to install Windows XP with the drivers, and there it works fine, so I know the hardware should work.

The way I test to see if the remote works is, to start irw=>No output. Also tried xbmc, nothing happens using the remote.

Edit: I have also tried with driver version 1.0.1. And after reading somewhere that the kernel version could be the problem (..17), I have also tried with the original non updated kernel version in Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel ...14). Still same result.

Edit2: If I stop lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc stop), and start "mode2 -d /dev/lirc0", then a lot of output comes to the screen when hitting the remote buttons.

- cloverfield - 2010-01-16

Abnormal1 Wrote:Now that im at home I can give more info.
I created a file in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps called 330ht.xml and inserted the following. However I am going to change it soon as this was a quick hack and Im not happy with it.
*cut*

then reboot and test.

Thanks for the info, but I don't really understand it...

1. lircmap.xml is only to connect the buttons to xbmc actions, right? no specific actions. I only use the MCEUSB remote (from asrock). There are some buttons missing (I cound 48 in lircmap.xml and 50 on my remote. Can I add these?

2. How do I change the specific actions for the different "screens" of xbmc? Is that the 330ht.xml file? Does xbmc automatically pickup this file?
So I make something like
Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <remote>
      <xbmc button name>xbmc command</xbmc button name>
   </remote>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

Where <FullscreenVideo> can be any of these Windows IDs and <remote> points to the default asrock remote.
<xbmc button name> points to the items between tags in the lircmap.xml file?
And finally the xbmc command would be something from the Action-names in the "available actions"-table on this page or opening windows (when using XBMC.ActivateWindow()?

Is this correct?

And for which screens or window id's can you map remote buttons? All these? And for every button not remaped, it will use the default in key in lircmap.xml?

- Abnormal1 - 2010-01-16

@cloverfield
No offence but it states in my little guide how to add the missing buttons.
You have to add in lircmap.xml under mceusb <obc148>ir name</obc148> with ir name being the buttons name that appears when you run irw, i.e aspect.
For any more missing buttons you change the obc148 to obc149 and so on.

Then in the xml file (which can be called anything you like as xbmc does not care as long as its in the correct location) you do as you just stated but the obc1## buttons have to go into an universal section and not remote section just as my example shows. Just make sure that both remote and universalremote are within <keymap> <FullscreenVideo>.

As for what you can put in the xml file, best to look in/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps for a remote.xml. This is what xbmc uses to map the remote buttons after it checks the xml file in userdata.

- cloverfield - 2010-01-17

Abnormal1 Wrote:@cloverfield
No offence but it states in my little guide how to add the missing buttons.
You have to add in lircmap.xml under mceusb <obc148>ir name</obc148> with ir name being the buttons name that appears when you run irw, i.e aspect.
For any more missing buttons you change the obc148 to obc149 and so on.

Then in the xml file (which can be called anything you like as xbmc does not care as long as its in the correct location) you do as you just stated but the obc1## buttons have to go into an universal section and not remote section just as my example shows. Just make sure that both remote and universalremote are within <keymap> <FullscreenVideo>.

As for what you can put in the xml file, best to look in/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps for a remote.xml. This is what xbmc uses to map the remote buttons after it checks the xml file in userdata.

None taken. That was the thing I missed... I thought the obc codes were for other remotes! Your guide became more clear now... I am going to try to remap the different buttons in different screens. Thanks.

- Pindakaas - 2010-01-17

whannausexbmc Wrote:Hi,

it seems like the new driver works for almost everybody but me :-(

My setup:

- ASRock ION 330HT
- Ubuntu 9.10 - 64 bit
- XBMC installed from Ubuntu package.
- Installed the driver: lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.2-ubuntu9.10.deb
After installation, the following is in the /var/log/messages:

[ 1522.170739] lirc_wb677_cir 00:04: disabled
[ 1540.296691] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 1540.305036] lirc_wb677_cir 00:04: activated
[ 1540.305119] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xb4
[ 1540.305130] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x73 expect:0x73
[ 1540.305375] input: MCE Remote Keyboard as /devices/virtual/input/input10
[ 1540.305552] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0

I have tried reboot, reinstall of Ubuntu, restarting lirc, nothing helps. I have tried to install Windows XP with the drivers, and there it works fine, so I know the hardware should work.

The way I test to see if the remote works is, to start irw=>No output. Also tried xbmc, nothing happens using the remote.

Edit: I have also tried with driver version 1.0.1. And after reading somewhere that the kernel version could be the problem (..17), I have also tried with the original non updated kernel version in Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel ...14). Still same result.

Edit2: If I stop lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc stop), and start "mode2 -d /dev/lirc0", then a lot of output comes to the screen when hitting the remote buttons.

Hi whannausexbmc,

Did you manage to get your remote working? I have the same problem.

- Abnormal1 - 2010-01-17

cloverfield Wrote:None taken. That was the thing I missed... I thought the obc codes were for other remotes! Your guide became more clear now... I am going to try to remap the different buttons in different screens. Thanks.

One small tip i recently found out is you can copy lircmap.xml into home/userdata and aparently xbmc will use that version. Also if you are running the very latest svn you can create a blank lircmap and just add the extra buttons.
I found this out here

- daftykins - 2010-01-17

Abnormal1, sorry for the stupid question given your guide - but I get absolutely no output from 'irw' when I press the top left button of the ASRock Ion 330 HT-BD's remote. It's my understanding I should see something at least, otherwise LIRC won't know to tell XBMC that an event has occurred?

Please advise,
Thanks

**UPDATE**

Not to worry, I've finally discovered that since i was using X3lectric's non-standard config for LIRC that the code for this button wasn't present at all, but I could obtain it from the default remote configs. Once I'd done this, I added it to the modified config:

Aspect 0x00007bd8

All happy! Now to map my custom preferences... Wink

- cloverfield - 2010-01-17

Abnormal1 Wrote:One small tip i recently found out is you can copy lircmap.xml into home/userdata and aparently xbmc will use that version. Also if you are running the very latest svn you can create a blank lircmap and just add the extra buttons.
I found this out here
Ok, thanks. But I'll set it u like you did in your other post, and it works, like a charm!
I made the 4 collor buttons do context things in different views and assigned the media buttons to the correct mediascreens.

But I was wondering, the action PlayDVD() doesn't work, and does somebody know how to point to sources? The remote has a "radio" button and I would like to assign that to my radio source (just a collection of streams). Any ideas?

Still not working with 32bit either - whannausexbmc - 2010-01-18

@Pindakaas : Not it is still not working :-(

I have now tried to format all, then install Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit, because I red somewhere that 64 bit could cause trouble.
Then I simply installed the remote driver (version 1.0.1) and the nvidia driver. The remote is still not working.
If I start "mode2 -d /dev/lirc0" then I can see the remote sure works, because it outputs a lot of numbers when I push the buttons. I can even see the patterns are different for different buttons. But when starting irw no response.

I think that some details are missing in the guide of making this work. Maybe because it is so logic, that nowhere thinks about telling it here.......

I have even tried an installation where I refused the Ubuntu to update packages, because I also read somewhere that the kernel update could be the cause, but this is not helping either.

Isnt there someone that has an idea of what I can do?