Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch (/showthread.php?tid=62708)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

- Philmatic - 2010-01-03

davilla Wrote:I'm working on pushing the osx kext/lib out today.

NodNodNod

- ewequeone - 2010-01-04

Finally, after 2 days, I've got it all running, except I didn't install the patch to setup the card to automatically load on startup.

Has anyone had any luck in playing scene ripped WMV files (iguana/novo)? Most seem to play the audio, but no video whatsoever. I'll start up a new thread with specific info (logs and mediainfo output) but thought I'd ask if anyone has got them working.

cheers,

jason.

edit: as a side note, most hi-def wmvs show video without using the crystalhd card to decode, but obviously then use 100% CPU. debug logs will be posted in another thread after I've slept.

- MGAINUK - 2010-01-04

I got my new card, and as suspected, everything worked perfectly well, which means the first card was defective. I now have hi def videos playing perfectly fine (95% of them) with low CPU (40% - 50%) on the Apple TV.

I have read at least one more post somewhere from a user having the same problem with the card, so I wonder about the reliability of these cards and how will this impact the popularity of this upgrade?

In my case it was more of a fun/learning project than anything else, so a few extra days wait an a few extra dollars didn't matter, but anyone on a tight budget would be taking a risk...

- dan1son - 2010-01-04

MGAINUK Wrote:I have read at least one more post somewhere from a user having the same problem with the card, so I wonder about the reliability of these cards and how will this impact the popularity of this upgrade?

Keep in mind you're buying untested cards intended to be put into netbooks from eBay sent without documentation, drivers, or even packaging. These aren't "consumer goods" by any stretch.

- MGAINUK - 2010-01-04

dan1son Wrote:Keep in mind you're buying untested cards intended to be put into netbooks from eBay sent without documentation, drivers, or even packaging. These aren't "consumer goods" by any stretch.

yes, but the point is that these cards (mine and this other person's) do not work. Lack of manuals, etc is understandable, but wee are talking about defective hardware.

It could be that we have been really unlucky, but it sounds that the QA of these cards is not up to scratch.

In any case, these are the cards that I guess people will buy when they upgrade their ATVs, so if the quality is not good we are going to have a potentially high number of dissapointed users.

- dan1son - 2010-01-04

MGAINUK Wrote:yes, but the point is that these cards (mine and this other person's) do not work. Lack of manuals, etc is understandable, but wee are talking about defective hardware.

It could be that we have been really unlucky, but it sounds that the QA of these cards is not up to scratch.

In any case, these are the cards that I guess people will buy when they upgrade their ATVs, so if the quality is not good we are going to have a potentially high number of dissapointed users.

Buy from someone that will let you exchange it if it's faulty. I bought from a seller in California who had a return policy if the card was defective.

- davilla - 2010-01-04

The risk with ebay is that the item will be defective.

In the case of CrystalHD cards, it's not really sure where the sellers obtain them, they could be pulls or they could be from "lost" shipments, or even have "fallen" off the truck or they could be from a reputable source. The only thing I know is that these cards were never offered un-bundled from complete systems.

Buyer beware as always which is why I'm glad that an official source (http://www.logicsupply.com) has surfaced. They might cost more but hey, they will work and if there's a problem then logicsupply will deal with it.

- davilla - 2010-01-04

git tree created at http://git.wilsonet.com/crystalhd.git/ , this is upstream in prep for insertion into staging branch of Linux kernel and will be the public home for driver/library/firmware under Linux.

http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/ will be tracking it.

- i5Js - 2010-01-04

davilla Wrote:Bring up the OSD ( "o" ) and tell me what aq and vq are showing.

I don't understand it, now It works like a charm... Any way these are the values:

aq 99%
vq 90-94%

BR

EDIT: Well it works (with some movies) like a charm. With Breaveheart, for expample, there are some issues, values:

aq 99%
vq 42-43%

- i5Js - 2010-01-04

another test: Ice Age 3

aq: 0%
vq:99%

A lot of drops

BR

- i5Js - 2010-01-04

More info, the issues are with 1080p movies... 720p works perfectly

- dan1son - 2010-01-04

I've found a simple fast forward 30 seconds and back will get everything back in sync and it'll play again for a while before that dropstate loop happens again.

I've seen no rhyme or reason to the drop thing happening. I've seen it on a lot of movies at different resolutions and sometimes at the start of movies, sometimes after playing for a while, sometimes not at all. It's very odd.

- cj43 - 2010-01-05

dan1son Wrote:I've found a simple fast forward 30 seconds and back will get everything back in sync and it'll play again for a while before that dropstate loop happens again.

I've seen no rhyme or reason to the drop thing happening. I've seen it on a lot of movies at different resolutions and sometimes at the start of movies, sometimes after playing for a while, sometimes not at all. It's very odd.

Yeah, it is so random but more times than not, I see the dropped frames and once it starts dropping them, it never recovers. Then I stop the movie and play the same movie again. That sometimes gets it to play fine for a bit. When I do get it to play fine, it seems that it reverts back to the dropping of frames after about 10 minutes. Very weird. Can't find anything my videos all have in common that would make any sense for causing this problem. I am surprised Davilla isn't seeing this happen to him. Maybe we got some defective cards.

- dan1son - 2010-01-05

It's also very possible in his developer mode he's not playing a file for that long. Smile That's what QA departments are for in professional development... in open source WE are the QA department.

- davilla - 2010-01-05

dan1son Wrote:It's also very possible in his developer mode he's not playing a file for that long. Smile That's what QA departments are for in professional development... in open source WE are the QA department.

LOL, I have a standard set of videos (various formats) that I play over and over and over. Some, I know the dialog by heart. Sometimes, I let them play while multi-tasking working on something else and check the logs and OSD.