Kodi Community Forum
XBMC and Xbox 360 [Please use descriptive titles!] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: XBMC and Xbox 360 [Please use descriptive titles!] (/showthread.php?tid=63224)

Pages: 1 2 3

XBMC and Xbox 360 [Please use descriptive titles!] - Scoof - 2009-12-03

Hello everyone

i know this has been allready asked but well i thought i was gonna ask anyway..

As some of you might allready know the xbox 360 hacking has gone one step further as we can now run unsigned content from the dashboard and now have access to full drivers support... (don't ask me any coding stuff i know nothing about that ^^ )

If you read around the hacking scene almost everyone there is waiting for XBMC Wink... I m still using XBMC on my old xbox but now that i have a full HD TV it gets old Wink

Don't flame me, you can delete my post or just leave it up and see what people say about that... I would gladly donate if you ever release XBMC360 Wink

See you around and thanks for all those years i ve been using XBMC ! (7 years now i think...)

Bye

- natethomas - 2009-12-03

I thought it was notable that no question was actually asked in this post. As such, instead of answering some imaginary question, I will make a quick point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

This can play HD content, is small, quiet, and requires absolutely no hacking. It also costs $200.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=xbox+360+elite&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11902403593436186678&ei=gBQYS7o2zpOdB-DLuN0D&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CD8Q8wIwBg#ps-sellers

This is big, loud, probably can't play HD, and requires a great deal of hacking that will screw up your XBMC Live account for ever. Also, it costs $300.

The best reason to hack the original Xbox was that it was smaller and cheaper than any similarly speced computer. That simply is not the case with the 360.

BTW, I picked the $300 system because it has a 120 GB harddrive, which is, at least, closer to the 160GB of the $200 system. The $200 Xbox 360 is a sham.

- Scoof - 2009-12-03

well as i m still playing games with my 360 i believe it's worth it and i have an xbox 360 (well several but that s not the point..) you can find cheap 360s nowadays ...

it's just one very cool app we could make for it... that was just my thoughts so many persons around the scene is waiting for it. I was just here to say you might consider making a working version of it.

Thanks for your time Smile

- natethomas - 2009-12-03

Don't get me wrong. the 360 is a great console for gaming. It's just much more limited as an htpc, especially when so many better alternatives appear to exist.

With that said, while the official dev team isn't especially interested in making a 360 port, it IS open source software. People in 'the scene' are always welcome to take the code and do with it as they will, so long as they remain compliant with the GPL.

- Scoof - 2009-12-03

ok thanks for the answer and i understand what you mean Wink i just think it s nice not to have 12 things around the TV Wink

It's good to know your opinion even though i d like to hear something else Blush

- NineT9mustang - 2009-12-04

ahhh was looking for a thread about the recent news Smile

I'm with Scoof here about wanting XBMC on the 360...

Id much rather have a 'all in one' machine (Media Center + Gaming System) then just a Media Center... Dont get me wrong, I absolutly LOVE my AppleTV as my media center, its so small and cute, but id take a 360+xbmc over it

The ULTIMATE setup would be a PS3+XBMC, but i doubt thatll never happen

and yea like Nate said, im sure the official devs aren't interested in a 360 port, but im pretty confident The Scene will have people do the coding Wink

- Jezz_X - 2009-12-04

I think you guys kind of missed the point in the second post if you were able to use xbmc on your xbox360 you probably wouldn't be able to use your xbox 360 to game on anymore anyway (certainly not on xbox live)

- Scoof - 2009-12-04

i think you missed the point that the hack is allready out and we can still play games... and i made my choice between live and Homebrews. I gave up live the day i could play backups on my console Smile

and if i d like to play live i have a PS3 cause it's free Wink

- spiff - 2009-12-04

so having a 360 and a ps3 is not a problem eh?

toss out one of the big fugly gaming machines. replace it with a cute little ion. problem solved

- rausch101 - 2009-12-04

I agree that an ion system is the better overall choice, but I think the main appeal of the XBOX360 (or really any stand-alone console) is the seamless integration of its peripherals with practically zero setup.

Given the incredible number of tutorials on the forums about how to configure everything correctly, its not surprising that people who aren't familiar with XBMC find it overwhelming and hope for a stand-alone solution on a console with which they're already familiar (probably a big reason why XBMC XBOX was so successful). Emulator integration especially is a huge undertaking to the current XBMC SVN, but was essentially drag-and-drop on the XBOX.

Also, even with XBMCLive there is no standard bundled HTPC system that XBMC can be installed on without any user configuration or user know-how the way XBMC XBOX could. A Revo with Live and an MCE Remote is pretty close, but of course still lacks in the gaming/emulation part.

Of course, EVENTUALLY installing XBMC on a common computer setup will be just as easy and seamless as it ever can be on a console and with about 10x the functionality. (Note that I'm not a developer and have no idea what I'm talking about or what timelines look like)

- spiff - 2009-12-04

porting it to the 360 would adresse none of those concerns in itself. the code to do the stuff would still have to be written no matter what hw it runs on.
also 360 hacks is WAY more complicated than setting up xbmc (not that i don't agree we could be easier to setup and use, we continually strive for this).

- natethomas - 2009-12-04

I suppose from a software standpoint, you could argue that installing XBMC is harder on a computer, but don't forget the irritation of trying to do an initial installation on the old Xbox.

First, you had to open it up. Then you had to take out all the components. Then you had to de-solder some stuff, and then solder on a new chip. Then you had to put all the components back, learn how to use FTP, and transfer over a bunch of files. Don't forget, actually GETTING the files was difficult and nerve wracking.

Alternatively, you had to buy some really weird peripherals, a specific game, and follow a guide that barely made sense on lifehacker.

The xbox was easy to use, but only AFTER the initial install.

- rausch101 - 2009-12-04

I've only ever soft-modded an xbox and to go from a stock system to a functional XBMC was only a few hours. I imagine XBOX could be the last console so easily modded since newer consoles force updates more frequently and have tighter integration to the internet/hack-checking methods. But it would be nice to have an up-to-date XBOX console replacement if some brilliant programmer ever came out with a robust hack for the 360. It also makes coding that much easier if only one set of hardware and peripherals needs to be considered.

On the other hand, Linux is Linux and it isn't likely to change so much that programs running on it now won't work many years in the future. Obviously that won't hold true for consoles since they change so much from generation to generation. I don't think there's any purpose to my post anymore as I'm just rambling, so I'll stop.

- jelle2503 - 2009-12-05

natethomas Wrote:I thought it was notable that no question was actually asked in this post. As such, instead of answering some imaginary question, I will make a quick point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

This can play HD content, is small, quiet, and requires absolutely no hacking. It also costs $200.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=xbox+360+elite&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11902403593436186678&ei=gBQYS7o2zpOdB-DLuN0D&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CD8Q8wIwBg#ps-sellers

This is big, loud, probably can't play HD, and requires a great deal of hacking that will screw up your XBMC Live account for ever. Also, it costs $300.

The best reason to hack the original Xbox was that it was smaller and cheaper than any similarly speced computer. That simply is not the case with the 360.

BTW, I picked the $300 system because it has a 120 GB harddrive, which is, at least, closer to the 160GB of the $200 system. The $200 Xbox 360 is a sham.

idk if you had a bad day at work.. or that you're just being narrowminded ..

but how could you choose a silly media centre above the capabilities of XBMC on a console.. (like xbox1) You confuse me, because Xbox1 still is one of the greatest gaming/media machines it just doesn't play HD and that's where XBOX media centre came from right... So how on earth could you not want to have an Xbox 360 with XBMC? Do you even like XBMC? It doesn't look it... trust me i'm a huge fan of XBMC

I have been dreaming the last past 3 years, how great XBMC on Xbox 360 would be.. Haven't you?

And your arguments don't make a whole lot of sense too... You can go out and pick up an arcade machine for around 150 (got mine for 149 euro), these machines are very quiet unless you play a game from DVD.. but we wouldn't need to with XBMC. we can stick in our own HDD now let it be 750gb.. we also are not forced anymore to buy ridiculously overpriced accesoirs anymore from MS, because we now have full system control.. everyone can join in on the fun, no more limits!

The 360 is a powerfull machine today still.. and cheap.. plays HD content just fine.. And who wouldn't dream of an Xbox 360 XBMC, if you have had XBMC as main dash for Xbox1!!

As far as the hacking part goes.. It has never been simpler. WHY? because I'm a guy with just 1 hour of soldering behind me, and I managed to do this all by myself just by reading the documentation.. that means that if i can do it, anyone could do with some practise and guidance
Just requires soldering around 10 wires with a few diodes and resistors, so less then xbox1 modchips
And the cygnosv2 is about as simple to solder on.. and this thing has full control over the nand, and has many good features like a dual nand setup.

I'm a bit disappointed in you

- harryzimm - 2009-12-05

As its your first post, let me advise you to read this entire thread again, also to search the forum for more info on the xbox 360 idea....Listen to what the devs are saying and dont take it too personally.

cheers