Kodi Community Forum
Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) (/showthread.php?tid=64545)

about email notify - warcopolo - 2010-01-23

follow above,sms,calls are all work,but have something wrong with email,i try mang times,but no push on my pc....please tell me how to make it work....
thanks for your amazing app...

- johoja - 2010-01-23

warcopolo Wrote:follow above,sms,calls are all work,but have something wrong with email,i try mang times,but no push on my pc....please tell me how to make it work....
thanks for your amazing app...

Should work if all the above are working...I'd need to see your syslog file while an email is received to be able to tell you more though.

- cuddykid - 2010-01-23

Hi there,
Since i've updated to 1.2 springboard is crashing every time a text or call comes through. When will 1.2.5 be released to fix this?
Fantastic app btw!
Many Thanks

- johoja - 2010-01-23

cuddykid Wrote:Hi there,
Since i've updated to 1.2 springboard is crashing every time a text or call comes through. When will 1.2.5 be released to fix this?
Fantastic app btw!
Many Thanks

If you goto the notify pro settings for the hosts you've added and toggle the Use UDP on and off. It should fix it.

Also thanks Smile I always miss calls/txts so I made it...then thought other peeps might need it too.

- stoli - 2010-01-23

Working great - how about the ability to adjust the display time for the notifications?

Also, for those using a flavor of Aeon that doesn't display the caller picture, add the following to DialogKaiToast.xml:

Code:
<control type="image" id="400">
    <description>avatar</description>
    <posx>9</posx>
    <posy>9</posy>
    <width>73</width>
    <height>73</height>
    <aspectratio>keep</aspectratio>
    <texture>DefaultFile.png</texture>
</control>
This can go right at the end, before the last two </control> tags.

- johoja - 2010-01-23

stoli Wrote:Working great - how about the ability to adjust the display time for the notifications?

That is in the TODO list...i might just throw it in in a day or two, its pretty easy change

- stoli - 2010-01-23

Another real minor request - how about a 'test' button to force a notification to xbmc/growl? In adjusting skins and general setup of my POS firewall for Verizon FIOS this would be handy rather then constantly calling the phone. The image sent could just be the app icon...

Thanks again,

- johoja - 2010-01-23

stoli Wrote:Another real minor request - how about a 'test' button to force a notification to xbmc/growl? In adjusting skins and general setup of my POS firewall for Verizon FIOS this would be handy rather then constantly calling the phone. The image sent could just be the app icon...

Thanks again,

Yeah, that's possible.

- Cloaky - 2010-01-24

Just bought my copy, hopefully will add some more support for growl : D keep it up.

Small request, separated notification types on growl, so we can set different sounds and stuff like that for each of them.

- johoja - 2010-01-24

Cloaky Wrote:Just bought my copy, hopefully will add some more support for growl : D keep it up.

Small request, separated notification types on growl, so we can set different sounds and stuff like that for each of them.

Awesome, I really appreciate it. I'll add that feature soon.

- m021478 - 2010-01-24

Does the iPhone and the computer running growl have to be on the same LAN, or will this work over the internet (WAN)?

- Cloaky - 2010-01-24

m021478 Wrote:Does the iPhone and the computer running growl have to be on the same LAN, or will this work over the internet (WAN)?

I don't think so, as long as u set it to use a external ip it should work over the internet.

- johoja - 2010-01-24

Cloaky Wrote:I don't think so, as long as u set it to use a external ip it should work over the internet.

You will also need to forward the ports on your router either 23053 if windows or 9887 if mac. Http://portforward.com

- Fofer - 2010-01-25

Hello! I'd previously been tinkering with the similar ICallAccess, and was very intrigued by the implications. Unfortunately the client was written in Java, and I'd always held onto hope that one day something Growl-compatible would come out to replace it.

So that's why I was super glad to see Notify Pro -- I purchased it today. I have been playing with it a bit, and love it... planning to spread the word, get all my friends and clients on board buying it too. What a great add-on for any iPhone user!

I have a few questions/feature requests:

1- When testing, I'm noticing a consistent issue which seems to be a deal-breaker. If the iPhone is sitting idle, as in I haven't touched it in a few minutes, and the screen is blank, and a call comes in to the iPhone... no Growl alert appears on my laptop. If I make a 2nd call, though, shortly thereafter, a Growl alert appears properly. The only way I am able to get it to work consistently is by making two calls (as described) or by turning the iPhone's screen on first. I'm not sure what's required here to make it work consistently, but if the phone needs to "on and awake all the time" for this to work, then it's not really an ideal solution.

2- When I tap the "Help" button in Notify Global Settings, the app crashes to the Springboard.

3- What do the "Wifi Only" and "Anyonymize" buttons actually do?

4- I'll agree that putting this functionality in iPhone Settings would be nicer than a standalone
app, since the preferences are "set it and forget it."

5- I would very much LOVE to see the contact's photo appear, that would be super slick. I'm using Growl on a Mac. I know this works with GrowlMail, so perhaps the source there can be examined to see what parameters need to be sent so that the same can work for incoming calls/texts/etc.

Thanks for any response or feedback! Loving this utility so far!

- chris3g - 2010-01-25

Fofer Wrote:Hello! I'd previously been tinkering with the similar ICallAccess, and was very intrigued by the implications. Unfortunately the client was written in Java, and I'd always held onto hope that one day something Growl-compatible would come out to replace it.

So that's why I was super glad to see Notify Pro -- I purchased it today. I have been playing with it a bit, and love it... planning to spread the word, get all my friends and clients on board buying it too. What a great add-on for any iPhone user!

I have a few questions/feature requests:

1- When testing, I'm noticing a consistent issue which seems to be a deal-breaker. If the iPhone is sitting idle, as in I haven't touched it in a few minutes, and the screen is blank, and a call comes in to the iPhone... no Growl alert appears on my laptop. If I make a 2nd call, though, shortly thereafter, a Growl alert appears properly. The only way I am able to get it to work consistently is by making two calls (as described) or by turning the iPhone's screen on first. I'm not sure what's required here to make it work consistently, but if the phone needs to "on and awake all the time" for this to work, then it's not really an ideal solution.

2- When I tap the "Help" button in Notify Global Settings, the app crashes to the Springboard.

3- What do the "Wifi Only" and "Anyonymize" buttons actually do?

4- I'll agree that putting this functionality in iPhone Settings would be nicer than a standalone
app, since the preferences are "set it and forget it."

5- I would very much LOVE to see the contact's photo appear, that would be super slick. I'm using Growl on a Mac. I know this works with Image, so perhaps the source there can be examined to see what parameters need to be sent so that the same can work for incoming calls/texts/etc.

Thanks for any response or feedback! Loving this utility so far!

i can help you with 1. when your phone is sleeping, it turns off the wifi radio to save battery power. When the phone wakes up, it takes a second or two to reconnect to the wifi network. If you receive a call while the phone is asleep, notify sends the growl notification immediately, before your phone has had an opportunity to reconnect. The phone is trying to communicate with your PC using a local network address, but it is not actually connected to the local network yet. The reason the 2nd call works for you is because the phone is now connected to your local wifi network.

so to work around this, you need to set up notify to send your notifications to your public ip address, this way it will work correctly from both wifi and the 3G connection. you will most likely have to set up port forwards in your firewall/router to accomplish this, but once you have it set up correctly you will then receive notifications even when your phone is asleep.

Maybe another alternative for a future update could be to delay sending the notification for a set period of time, so as to allow the phone enough time to reconnect to the wifi before attempting to send.