Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- iguana9999 - 2009-12-23

Im in the process of installing this on an USB stick and booting my (halfworking) Appletv from it. Anyone got an idea on how to install drivers for the Airport card?

The problem: Half working AppleTV, Ethernet port not working, internal PATA connection flaky and the just ordered CF to PATA adapter not working with a Sandisk CF.
As last resort I want to be able to boot from USB and run XBMC from it, but would prefer to be able to use the wireless card inside.

- TeknoJnky - 2009-12-24

iguana9999 Wrote:As last resort I want to be able to boot from USB and run XBMC from it, but would prefer to be able to use the wireless card inside.

this thread and the usb image is about using the crystalhd/broadcom card (replace the atv wifi card). It won't work without the broadcom card.

- davilla - 2009-12-24

iguana9999 Wrote:Im in the process of installing this on an USB stick and booting my (halfworking) Appletv from it. Anyone got an idea on how to install drivers for the Airport card?

The problem: Half working AppleTV, Ethernet port not working, internal PATA connection flaky and the just ordered CF to PATA adapter not working with a Sandisk CF.
As last resort I want to be able to boot from USB and run XBMC from it, but would prefer to be able to use the wireless card inside.

Sounds like this has nothing to do with "XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick" which involves replacing the internal wifi card with a video accelerator. Try posting in a new thread please.

- badappleuk - 2009-12-24

Even with any theme now i am getting crashes all over the shop. When ever i browse though the movie library it will get stuck if browsing for a while then crash. This also seems to happen more frequently after watching a movie. After a reboot it also looses all my settings in xbmc Sad so i have to change the date etc video options everytime. Have posted up the most recent file's here : http://pastebin.com/m594ed563

Cheers

- maartenst - 2009-12-24

if anyone has any ideas left for my usb stick to get it to boot, much appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to wait for davilla, but I'm afraid that'll be a while..

- davilla - 2009-12-24

maartenst Wrote:if anyone has any ideas left for my usb stick to get it to boot, much appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to wait for davilla, but I'm afraid that'll be a while..

Some USB sticks are not able to boot, it's a USB device firmware thing. Unfortunately they come in various flavors and there's no way to tell even by brand.

Windows will not show the partitions, it does not understand HFS and also does not like more than one partition on a USB flash drive.

So moral of the story is, if you make a USB flash drive and the AppleTV does not see it when forced to boot in recovery mode, and you are sure you wrote the disk image correctly (device mode for Windows), then try another USB flash drive.

- maartenst - 2009-12-24

davilla Wrote:Some USB sticks are not able to boot, it's a USB device firmware thing. Unfortunately they come in various flavors and there's no way to tell even by brand.
ok, i'll try putting a normal linux distro like ubuntu on it to test the booting capabilities on my laptop.

- cck197 - 2009-12-24

maartenst Wrote:ok, i'll try putting a normal linux distro like ubuntu on it to test the booting capabilities on my laptop.

All the pqi devices I've tried have been good. this tiny little thing is only $10 and works brilliantly.

- maartenst - 2009-12-24

cck197 Wrote:All the pqi devices I've tried have been good. this tiny little thing is only $10 and works brilliantly.
After reading some more forums I found that the Kingston travellers (probably the ones with the slider) have problems with wrongly reported geometry (https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/80#comment:7)
I downloaded the HP USB Disk storage format tool and formatted the stick with that, and after that managed to create a bootable ubuntu stick for my laptop.
Next up is formatting it again and trying it with the xbmc apple tv image.
Hope it works and that this information is useful for other people who had problems with booting from USB sticks like Davilla said

Edit: still won't boot on the apple tv...

- g00f - 2009-12-25

Here's one for the books, I got 3 ATV's now, 2 with broadcoms installed, and of course they have all been abused a bit lately with my efforts to install xbmc on different OS levels for the ATV.

I just factory restored one that I bought refurb, and I think it restores back to 2.3 ....but the STOOPID setup after a factory restore, FORCES me to setup a wireless connection, and I cant connect to anything nor find a way to circumvent this even though I only use wired GB all the time.

So is there a way to get around this, or do I need to remove the broadcom, reinstall the wireless card, complete the setup, then remove and install the boardcom again. Why would I want to use wireless for my streaming??

Suggestions.

- Bender222 - 2009-12-25

g00f Wrote:Here's one for the books, I got 3 ATV's now, 2 with broadcoms installed, and of course they have all been abused a bit lately with my efforts to install xbmc on different OS levels for the ATV.

I just factory restored one that I bought refurb, and I think it restores back to 2.3 ....but the STOOPID setup after a factory restore, FORCES me to setup a wireless connection, and I cant connect to anything nor find a way to circumvent this even though I only use wired GB all the time.

So is there a way to get around this, or do I need to remove the broadcom, reinstall the wireless card, complete the setup, then remove and install the boardcom again. Why would I want to use wireless for my streaming??

Suggestions.

plug in the wired internet
if you have wired internet on it skips the wireless.

- g00f - 2009-12-25

Bender222 Wrote:plug in the wired internet
if you have wired internet on it skips the wireless.

Jeez....it was my cable...darnest thing, now I know why I was having some much trouble with it, used another cable and voila, connection and bypass.

Thanks for the info, I thought I managed to do this before and was successful.

I just bought another 8GB stick to boot my 2nd atv, and just wanted to mention this one worked right outta the box using my hackintosh to format and install the USB image.

"PATRIOT Extreme Performance Xporter XT Boost - 200x USB flash drive - 8 GB - Hi-Speed USB (PEF8GUSB)"

- Bender222 - 2009-12-25

i only have experiece with an old 4gb sandisk cruizer and an hp 8gb ne. i bought the h one because the ight on the cruier was a bit distrcting. I noticed that the cruizer was a bit faster than the hp. they both work though.

When booting up it stalls for quit some time between boots. much more than it did when I was manualy issueing the kexec command for my install. Might there be something we can do about it ? if you uninstall gnome do you hav eto create a new xorg.conf or what because xbmc would not initialize when I did it.

Digital Audio? - Soprano - 2009-12-26

This image worked great. I am still waiting for my Crystal HD card, but how can I get digital audio to work? I know HDMI doesn't work, but I can't even get the optical to work. Any ideas?

- raydevos - 2009-12-28

Hey, thanks a lot cck197! I've finally got everything working thanks to you. I was a bit lost building the stick my self. That's so nice!

May I second what someone already asked, ie make a slightly smaller 4GB image, it doesn't fit on my 4GB stick, I had to use a 8GB.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a counter of the number of download of your usb image? I wonder how many of us are using their atv with crystal hd :-)