Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] Broadcom Crystal HD Mini-PCIe Card in a Intel (GMA) Mac Mini? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [MAC] Broadcom Crystal HD Mini-PCIe Card in a Intel (GMA) Mac Mini? (/showthread.php?tid=65616)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- davilla - 2010-03-24

dailydisco Wrote:Gotcha... should have known not to be so vague... I installed:

xbmc-r28256-trunk-x86.dmg

from the nightly build site. I will delete the kext and dylib, then reboot, then install, then reboot again.... thanks for the tip!

Greatly appreciate this work... it means a lot of us who have GMA950 based minis will be able to watch HD for $20 to $60 rather than buying a brand new mini... sweet!

Hehe, Plex users will read that and weep Smile

- gatto_mannaro - 2010-03-24

davilla Wrote:Hehe, Plex users will read that and weep Smile

sorry for a question that can be sligthly off topic: toghether with the crystalHD I was thinking about a cpu upgrade, a t7400 instead my 1.66. How will the cpu give a benefit with hd movies? I mean, would be the t7400 alone sufficient for a smooth playing or the crystalHD is anyway necessary for 1080 movies?
thank you alot

- davilla - 2010-03-24

gatto_mannaro Wrote:sorry for a question that can be sligthly off topic: toghether with the crystalHD I was thinking about a cpu upgrade, a t7400 instead my 1.66. How will the cpu give a benefit with hd movies? I mean, would be the t7400 alone sufficient for a smooth playing or the crystalHD is anyway necessary for 1080 movies?
thank you alot

More CPU reserve is always better. I suggest trying it and then deciding before searching around for a t7400.

- icedtrip - 2010-03-25

gatto_mannaro Wrote:sorry for a question that can be sligthly off topic: toghether with the crystalHD I was thinking about a cpu upgrade, a t7400 instead my 1.66. How will the cpu give a benefit with hd movies? I mean, would be the t7400 alone sufficient for a smooth playing or the crystalHD is anyway necessary for 1080 movies?
thank you alot

A t7400 will help, but probably not as much as you want it to. I upped my 1.66 to a t7200, and although it will play 1080p, it is not smooth. Plex does play smoother than XBMC for me, but with the Crystal HD that the UPS guy just delivered, XBMC should have no problems at all with handling this content. Time to test things out when I get home tonight.

I imagine a t7600 may handle things a little better, but I'm not 100% sure it is worth it. The t7400 runs $150-200, and the t7600 is easily $200+.

- gatto_mannaro - 2010-03-26

icedtrip Wrote:A t7400 will help, but probably not as much as you want it to.

thanx alot both for your kind attention and interesting answer!
the main problem now is to find a crystal card outside the states... they are quite rare and expensive now :confused2:

- aiken - 2010-03-27

No, they'll read that and switch to XBMC. At least, that's what I did.

Besides, Plex development seems to have died, or at least slowed to close-to-death. Last update was in November, and plenty of outstanding known issues in that one.

Many thanks to the XBMC crew for the constant improvement and broad hardware support!

- dailydisco - 2010-03-28

Ha ha! Well, I like some Plex features, but my bluray player can do Netflix (better quality with HD... not available on computers yet) and Amazon on-demand... so the streaming media is not something I am using much of lately.

I went through and removed each piece of the 1.0.1 install... it took some time since I used VNC via my iPhone while sitting in various parking lots of stores today... then rebooted and reinstalled. I got an error when putting the dylib into place, but when I added sudo to the command to move, it worked.

So now I am watching an MT2S file and it is running super smooth! I looked at the stats and there were 454 dropped frames, but I get the feeling they were all within the startup (which also seemed smooth too, though).

I use EyeTV and Plex... gonna have to rethink the Plex part... I do like the apple remote mappings in Plex... maybe I can somehow get every little bit to work the way I would want, though. If the XBMC PVR front-end works with eyeTV at some point I will probably switch entirely! As it stands, I think I may setup XBMC to launch into movies, then use Plex to launch XBMC or something... dunno... probably just overthinking it and will only use XBMC once I get it setup completely... welcome home I guess!

Hmmm... just noticed a choppy skip in this Star Trek M2TS, but that could be anything... will just have to wait and see!

Thanks again... amazing work to date!

- ntloser - 2010-03-28

jtclark Wrote:T I wouldn't try to play 1080P content over wireless from my NAS anyway. I still have a working bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I think the bluetooth must not be on the Wifi chip on my model.

Bluetooth has always been separate from the Wifi at least it has been on all Intel based Minis I've worked on.

Streaming 1080p content over wireless has never been a (bandwidth related) problem for me. My wireless connection maxes out at 30-35 Megabits which is plenty for 1080p mkvs with DTS audio.

- Plutonium - 2010-03-29

Hi,

i have a problem using XBMC (latest nightly built) on OSX 10.5 with my mac mini 2,0 ghz and Broadcom crystal Hd. The Crystal HD software version is 1.0.3. it works and i have a low cpu %, but after a few minutes, viewing an M2TS video (full hd), the video freezes and xbmc have problems to start again. after an reboot, the video starts again but freezes again after a few minutes. xbmx stutters after freezing. The fan of the mac mini rotates very fast before freezing.
Please help me.

regards

(sorry for my bad english)

- davilla - 2010-03-29

Plutonium Wrote:Hi,

i have a problem using XBMC (latest nightly built) on OSX 10.5 with my mac mini 2,0 ghz and Broadcom crystal Hd. The Crystal HD software version is 1.0.3. it works and i have a low cpu %, but after a few minutes, viewing an M2TS video (full hd), the video freezes and xbmc have problems to start again. after an reboot, the video starts again but freezes again after a few minutes. xbmx stutters after freezing. The fan of the mac mini rotates very fast before freezing.
Please help me.

regards

(sorry for my bad english)

please don't cross post.

- Plutonium - 2010-03-29

sorry for postcrosing. i will try to find the logfile and post it at pastebin.

- icedtrip - 2010-03-30

@davilla

do you want us posting all our issues in the below thread? It was started by Amet, but I just wanted to make sure you would be looking there too....or simply, your take on the preferred place.

I have a video (King Arthur BD) that shows constant artifacts in the video while playing. I have tested it on a more powerful machine, and it works just fine, but not on my Mini 2.0 w/ Crystal HD. All other rips so far work as expected (only 10 ATM, but still ripping).

Also, as many have, I do get the FPS drop every now and then that is solved with a quick FF/RW or a pause and restart, but do you need anymore reports/logs for this particular issue?

Thanks for all the work you have done with this. It was because of these threads I decided to get a Crystal HD, drop my Boxee/Plex combo, and return to XBMC.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70537

- davilla - 2010-03-30

icedtrip Wrote:@davilla

do you want us posting all our issues in the below thread? It was started by Amet, but I just wanted to make sure you would be looking there too....or simply, your take on the preferred place.

I have a video (King Arthur BD) that shows constant artifacts in the video while playing. I have tested it on a more powerful machine, and it works just fine, but not on my Mini 2.0 w/ Crystal HD. All other rips so far work as expected (only 10 ATM, but still ripping).

Also, as many have, I do get the FPS drop every now and then that is solved with a quick FF/RW or a pause and restart, but do you need anymore reports/logs for this particular issue?

Thanks for all the work you have done with this. It was because of these threads I decided to get a Crystal HD, drop my Boxee/Plex combo, and return to XBMC.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70537

I see all threads. If you have something that does not play or shows symptoms outside what is already seen, then follow that thread and pastebin the asked for items.

- griffore - 2010-05-06

2 questions:

1. What is the recomended OS when using the Mini + Crystal HD card? I am running Windows 7 on my Macmini3,1 model, wondering if I can run the same on a Macmini1,1.
  2. Will a 1.66 GHz Core Duo with 512MB RAM MacMini + CrystalHD suffice for 1080p playback?

Massive Frames Dropped & Sync Way Off - zscholz - 2010-05-13

With EyeTV files (from XBMCEyeTVParser) played through XBMC I get almost constant dropped frames (maybe 10/second) and the sync is completely off. I recently installed the Broadcom Crystal HD Card and have the 1.0.3 drivers installed.

I have Broadcom Crystal HD selected from System | Settings | Video | Playback, but am unsure on how to "prove" that it's in fact working (any suggestions - I verified that it was loaded in the Console Log "Device Opened"??).

At any rate, here's my setup:

Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
OSX 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard)
XBMC r28256
2GB RAM
Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970012 (1.0.3 drivers)

All of my media (1080i MAX - between 15-20Mbps MAX) is stored on a Firewire 400 external drive and read from there - though I've moved one of these files to the internal hard drive and no change...

If I need to get some log files for troubleshooting - let me know and I'll post/send them ASAP.

Any suggestions would be GREAT!! Smile Thanks in advance!!