Kodi Community Forum
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? (/showthread.php?tid=66970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- Hidd3nFury - 2010-12-05

I "acquired" a 1080p half side-by-side mkv copy of How to Train Your Dragon and it plays great in XBMC with my Samsung 3DTV.

- timgray - 2010-12-10

SoWErA Wrote:hope it works with 10.0 because getting my 3dtv tomorrow and I would hate to have to use a secondary video player for 3d movies.

If you want 3d Support then you need to buy 2 of the developers a 3d tv and at least a set of glasses.

Honestly, they need gear thrown at them to get stuff added faster, they unfortunately dont get paid to write XBMC and dont have a budget to buy things for development.

If anyone wants 3d support fast, they need to ask where to have 3d tv's and equipment shipped to and get out their credit cards.

That said, short of someone giving equipment, I think we will see 3d support in XBMC in about 3 years.

- modernninja - 2010-12-11

poofyhairguy Wrote:I recently played the best full SBS file I have found. Results:

The good news is that it works with the newest Windows build, so no more DS player. More good news is playing a full SBS file with the GT430 knocks my TV into 3D mode. Its like the GPU knows to send the correct "its 3D" signal to my TV. So one day this could be easy - its not like that mode is locked in DRM hell.

The bad news is once in 3D you can't switch to SBS (on my TV at least) so to use full 1080p 3D that way the player must play the actual SSIF files. I am guessing it will take FFMPEG support for that.

More bad news was it did kinda lag. I am gonna try soon in Linux to see if the file actually plays at that res on that build.

My panasonic Viera gt25 offers 5 different 3d formats selectable by remote, including sbs. As far as the team getting equipment, im sure if some of you guys donated a few bucks it wouldn't be difficult to get them set up for some quality r&d. No bucks=no Buck. Rogers

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-11

robinsj Wrote:Could you please explain what exactly you mean by it works? Were you just playing a m2ts file ripped from a 3d blu ray, inside the latest windows build of xbmc? and it played?

What I meant was that when I played a full SBS file the Nvidia driver "knew" it was a 3D file and went into 3D mode.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-11

timgray Wrote:That said, short of someone giving equipment, I think we will see 3d support in XBMC in about 3 years.

Half SBS files work pretty much perfectly right now. That quality level is basically what Direct TV delivers, so it is obviously up to market standards.

- Anastrophe - 2010-12-17

I see boxee have now added this feature

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-18

Anastrophe Wrote:I see boxee have now added this feature

The main thing Boxee has done has made it so the GUI and subtitles are 3D when you are viewing SBS and TnB materials, presumably at half sizes. Pretty cool stuff. 3D compatible menus is really all XBMC is missing.

Also the Nvidia driver added 3D support:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143514

- topfs2 - 2010-12-18

poofyhairguy Wrote:The main thing Boxee has done has made it so the GUI and subtitles are 3D when you are viewing SBS and TnB materials, presumably at half sizes. Pretty cool stuff. 3D compatible menus is really all XBMC is missing.

Also the Nvidia driver added 3D support:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143514

And since they have provided source code (thanks boxee) it might make it into xbmc also. (Just wanted to be positive with all negative talks in the boxee thread)

- bleze - 2010-12-18

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10331

BD and BD3D support? - Vultures - 2010-12-22

Is it possible?

- iainmacleod - 2010-12-22

How did you get your device to playback top/bottom. I have a single 3d file and it just displays the top and bottom in one video, the playback is not merged.... is this a container issue, it is an MKVHuh

poofyhairguy Wrote:I recently played the best full SBS file I have found. Results:

The good news is that it works with the newest Windows build, so no more DS player. More good news is playing a full SBS file with the GT430 knocks my TV into 3D mode. Its like the GPU knows to send the correct "its 3D" signal to my TV. So one day this could be easy - its not like that mode is locked in DRM hell.

More bad news was it did kinda lag. I am gonna try soon in Linux to see if the file actually plays at that res on that build.

Did you get this working on Linux? Also, did you use an external player?

I playback a top/bottom file on my XBMC and it just shows a video with two playback, top and bottom. It does not merge the images.

I have XBMC 10.0, GT430, latest graphics drivers, a Sony 3D TV, and Ubuntu 10.10. ANy suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

I may have found the problem... I will need to check when I get home

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanual/NA/EN/2b-1/3dready_uc_2btdr.html

Supposedly this information is also found in something called a manooal, or manual - not sure how you say it Wink

My 5 cents - Vultures - 2010-12-22

Sorry, I don't have time to read the whole thread, so I might be repeating stuff someone already posted. Also I am a simple user without any dev experience, so the post might look a bit dactylic. My setup (I believe that would be typical XBMC 3D):
Geforce GT430
New Nvidia 260.xx drivers (with <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html">3DTV Play</a> support)
HDMI 1.4 cable
Viera VT20 (plasma with shutter glasses)
In this setup Geforce supports 3DTV natively. E.g. it can detect, that stereo content is played, and inform 3DTV to change mode accordingly, sync with glasses etc. IMHO 3D support is all about letting the Nvidia driver "know", that XBMC is playing stereo file (which can be side by side, over-under or BD3D). I can already play stereo pairs in XBMC, but TV mode needs to be adjusted manually every time, and UI is painful to look at. BD3D is not supported, so I am using the external player (Arcsoft TMT+daemon tools).
So to support 3D we need to:
- Detect stereopairs and pass corresponding info to Nvidia 3D Vision.
- Play BD3D as iso or mounted iso, as far as I know even regular BD are not supported yet.
I believe to develop/test the whole thing you need only 3D Vision set (less than 200 bucks), and 120 Hz monitor (a bit more than 200 bucks, but not much more).

- dagbro - 2010-12-23

how about those of us with polarized dual projector setups? It's really great, all you really need is two projectors, a metallized screen, polarizers and a pair of passive glasses that cost a buck each. (i got 15 pairs for $20 shipped.)

One significant advantage is that you can output true 23,976Hz, because
with a 120Hz shutter-glasses TV you'll get pulldown issues playing a 24fps 3d film.

AND, right now a setup like this is cheaper than just about any 3d-ready tv on the market.. and don't even get me started on price per inch >.<

Anyway, it's simply a matter of decoding the stream(or streams) and outputting the images for left and right to two separate X monitors simultaneously. (with of course the double subtitles that you'll need for any 3dtv too) Planar 3d displays use the same dual output btw.

No image sync or glasses control, just the two separate outputs.

Stereoscopic Player works fine, but it's not for linux and doesn't have a very sexy interface.. it's kinda like mplayerc but more grayish and boring, if it's at all possible.

btw, i think xbmc should scan the filenames for "3D" and more specifically "Half SBS" and so on, just to automagically know how it should output the file.. end users don't want to work through context menus and mark all their 3d stuff as sbs or over/under and so on Rolleyes