Kodi Community Forum
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? (/showthread.php?tid=66970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- ECEC - 2010-12-29

Vultures Wrote:Don't do it! Buy drapes or blinds. Drapes are better, there's special "blackout" fabric that will do the trick just fine. I've been in the exactly same situation, so I guess you can trust me...

I thought about that, but it's not really an option. If the 3D stuff was as eye popping awesome as say, SD > DVD, or DVD > HD, it'd be worth it. As it stands now, neither my wife or I were impressed enough to drastically change our living room layout. Even as a big gamer, I don't see a lot of value in it. PS3 and 360 games look amazing on the set, but the 3D effect was dimmed and more difficult to actually, you know, play. Every time I switched the games to 2D I was more impressed.

I probably shouldn't be going through this in a thread about building a 3D HTPC, though. Wink

The problem now is picking another TV. Plasma is right out, and I'm looking at various sets in the $2k and below range, but it really seems that the 3D sets are the best sets out there. I'm looking two LG sets, one 3D and one not, and the 3D set is obviously better (especially in the 55" range), but I'm having a hard time deciding.

Again, probably not the right thread though.

- Vultures - 2010-12-29

BDPNA Wrote:How did you get the ISO of the BD3D to play? What was your software and did you stream or play local?

I have mounted it in Daemon Tools and played in Arcsoft TMT. To do the trick you'll also need a card with HDMI 1.4, HDMI 1.4 cable, and 3DTV. Streaming from NAS didn't do well, so I had to copy the image to HTPC local drive. I am downloading the following ISOs directly to HTPC.

- Vultures - 2010-12-29

ECEC Wrote:I thought about that, but it's not really an option. If the 3D stuff was as eye popping awesome as say, SD > DVD, or DVD > HD, it'd be worth it. As it stands now, neither my wife or I were impressed enough to drastically change our living room layout.
Watch full blu-ray — Avatar or Guardians of Ga-thing in perfectly dark room, than make a decision.
FYI, plasma is bad choice for highly lit enviroments, especially 3D plasma (glasses are eating quite a bit of brightness, which is already limited in Plasma compared to LCD).

- ECEC - 2010-12-29

Vultures Wrote:Watch full blu-ray — Avatar or Guardians of Ga-thing in perfectly dark room, than make a decision.
FYI, plasma is bad choice for highly lit enviroments, especially 3D plasma (glasses are eating quite a bit of brightness, which is already limited in Plasma compared to LCD).

We did, I promise! Smile I ran it through it's paces. I don't have Avatar, but got a couple of other discs and we watched a good bit of those, as well as some downloaded 3D material from the PS3. I also played WipeOut HD, Super Star Shatter (or something), and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

And yeah, I somehow missed that little detail about plasmas when doing my research. Sad The new ones I'm looking at are LED/LCD.

- Vultures - 2010-12-29

It's your call=) After long and painful process of choosing 3DTV I think that Panasonic plasma is the best solution, but you definitely need a dark room to realize its potential. LED was dumped, because I SEE bloody ghosting. But some people don't, so it's a matter of physiological individual features...

- BDPNA - 2010-12-29

If 1:1 pixel mapping is important, I better rethink the manual geometry correction I did on my Mitsubishi 73 set -- Maybe I'm better off leaving it at factory. I seem to recall reading somewhere that as soon as you begin tweaking geometry that you lose 1:1 pixel mapping.

Ah the joys of a DLP set -- I do love the picture and large screen but this will likely be my last one as the larger screen plasma and LEDs drop in price and get better looking.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-29

bleze Wrote:poofyhairguy, is your calibration maybe a bit off? You need 1:1 pixel mapping to get the two images aligned perfectly over each other.
I do not notice any difference in cross talk between XBMC and using built in media player in my Samsung TV

Oh no, trust me I have pixel mapping set to 1:1. It is not that, it is the FFMPEG in XBMC. Something is going on, even my wife (who lacks my perfect vision) comments how much nicer it is watching on the Blu Ray player.

Using my Windows system, DS Player, and certain FFDSHOW settings I FINALLY got a quality level equal to the Samsung player. Seems like turning down or off all the post-processing settings really helps.

Unfortunately DS Player lacks the WAF I need (which is why I abandoned playing fully mounted ISOs), so for now I will just get by with the Samsung.

Vultures Wrote:I have mounted it in Daemon Tools and played in Arcsoft TMT. To do the trick you'll also need a card with HDMI 1.4, HDMI 1.4 cable, and 3DTV. Streaming from NAS didn't do well, so I had to copy the image to HTPC local drive. I am downloading the following ISOs directly to HTPC.

I did that for a while until I accepted the lack of WAF such a setup has.

If you find a way to automate that to a remote please let me know. For now I am willing to give up quality to mess with half-SBS rips, especially because most of the stuff I show to people have not been put on the net in ISO form.

- Vultures - 2010-12-29

WAF is wife acceptance factor?-)
I actually don't need to automate anything because I have this little thingy http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-diNovo-Edge-Keyboard-Black/dp/B000J43HJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293646527&sr=8-2
on my sofa all the time. Automation is quite simple — I open an image in DT, and it starts playing.
diNovo multimedia buttons work in TMT, what's more to desire?

- bleze - 2010-12-29

poofyhairguy Wrote:Seems like turning down or off all the post-processing settings really helps.

You really should not have any post-processing enabled in neither XBMC nor in the TV. Those are not ment for HD and actually only destroys the images. Sadly they are on per default and many people do not know this fact.
Also settings are saved per input and XBMC using HDMI will have different settings than using built in Media Player in TV

Vultures Wrote:I actually don't need to automate anything because I have this little thingy http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-diNovo-Edge-Keyboard-Black/dp/B000J43HJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293646527&sr=8-2
on my sofa all the time.

Yep, if I wasn't married I would do the same thing. As it is if I can't map something to a button on a Harmony remote it is basically useless to me.

Thanks for your response!

- Vultures - 2010-12-29

You can setup home automation system (e.g. crestron), and integrate it with TMT (and XBMC) via APIBig Grin
This way you'll have a button on the remote for everythingSmile

- enderlabs - 2010-12-30

Hi,

In the near features will XBMC offer 3D support ? Mainly for 3D Blu-Ray ISO ?

- MJFox - 2010-12-30

is it me or is TMT the slowest player ever?

when in 3D mode clicking on STOP takes a few seconds to acutally stop the movie, closing the player when in 3D mode takes forever, seeking in 3D mode is almost impossible (my HTPC is a Core 2 Duo E6600, so it's not the slowest machine in the world) etc.

does anybody know a decent player that can play 3D-ISOS? tried PowerDVD and WinOnDVD and they are even worse...

greetings

MJFox

- Yalla-One - 2010-12-30

Vultures Wrote:No. At the moment you'll need an external app for that. Namely new versions Power DVD (didn't work for me) or Total Media Theatre. The app however can be called from XBMC using Launcher plugins.

Have I understood it correct if the only reason for XBMC not being able to display for instance Avatar 3D perfectly in full 1080P best display-mode is lack of full 3D-support in FFMPEG? And the only reason for why PowerDVD and Total Media Theatre works is that they have 3D-support built-in where FFMPEG doesn't?

And if that was correct, then once FFMPEG is upgraded, a 3D-capable HTPC should be able to display a 3D Matroska container just as perfectly over HDMI 1.4 as a high-end BluRay player?

Or are there other factors present as well, such as a need for 3D-support in the XBMC codebase itself as well (ie for menus etc?) - if so - isn't that just looks, as the important part is the movie itself?

Thanks in advance for any replies with explainations!