Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) (/showthread.php?tid=67012)

- tsint - 2010-01-27

I don't think it is popular to release it as a binary with closed source. Probably ok for internal testing but not for the masses.

- Gamester17 - 2010-01-27

tsint Wrote:I don't think it is popular to release it as a binary with closed source. Probably ok for internal testing but not for the masses.
You are absolutly correct, )doing so is an violation of the GPL which XBMC source code is licensed under), even for internal testing you still have to provide the source code to those that you distribute if they request it.

Please, do not release/link/upload any binaries compiled from GPL'ed licensed source code without also offering also release/link/upload the source code for those binaries as well.

There is no need to start a discussion about GPL interpretations here as such discussion is bound to start a flamewar and we will be forced to lock this thread. So, no offense to David or anyone else, but let us now all just patiently wait until the source code is published first before we even ask for binaries.

- fekker - 2010-01-27

off thread topic, but Hey welcome back Gamester17 Big Grin

- Popeye - 2010-01-27

Aha, so thats the reason the link got removed. I honestly didnt expect a full xbmc.bin but rather a plugin...

- akezeke - 2010-01-27

Ok!

So lets try this again, now you can download the source or compiled binaries from http://github.com/akezeke/spotyxbmc/downloads

More info to come soon!

/David

- tsint - 2010-01-27

Thanks!

This is probably the best thing that happened to XBMC since the VDPAU feature =)

- calmdown - 2010-01-27

Maybe a stupid question, but since i dont have my own music library i really want spotify to pop up just as i press "music" on homescreen in alaska, maybe someone can point me in the right direction on how to do that?

And ofc. super thanks for this, have been waiting a long time, and finally someone put it together!

I think i have to edit Includes_Home_1.xml in skin/Alaska/720p/ folder on the line 31 that says:
Code:
<item id="3">
<description>Music</description>
<onclick>[color=red]ActivateWindow(Music)[/color]</onclick>

However I do not know the actual command for opening the submenu "spotify" directly, cant seem to find it in any configuration files (its probably embedded in the xbmc.bin file)?

- tsint - 2010-01-27

Can't you just right-click on Spotify and select "Make Default"?

- calmdown - 2010-01-27

tsint Wrote:Can't you just right-click on Spotify and select "Make Default"?

Ah well, that is one way you could do it, men det är ju inte rätt Rolleyes

Sometimes its the simplest things that is the hardest, thanks!

- Popeye - 2010-01-28

Missed the libspotify part but got it up and running now. FANTASTIC!

- freds - 2010-01-28

This is beyond excellent... Shocked

Is it possible to not get Wall as default viewing option though?

- jmarshall - 2010-01-28

Hi there,

I've had a quick review of the first patch, and have some general questions to begin with. We can take this to trac if you think it will be better there (after all, this is general discussion) - please feel free to open a ticket, attach your patch (no zipping please) so that others can review it as well.

1. What (if anything) prevents the directory browsing side of it being done in a plugin. Other than small portions (such as where you've injected spotify:// nodes into the library), it appears that very little of this couldn't be done directly externally (whether in a python plugin or via a dll).

2. What (if anything) is required for the streaming side - I'd much prefer if this was split off from the listing side of things where feasible.

3. Why are you adding spotify "albums" to the local database? What's the purpose of this?

Some suggestions for cleanup:

1. Get rid of the spotify-specific messages. They're unneeded as far as I can tell - just send general GUI_MSG_UPDATE_PATH messages.

2. Move the spotify URL stuff that's currently sitting in OnClick() directly into the spotify directory handler. One presumes that your search stuff could be done directly in there as well (i.e. fire off the search, throw up the progress dialog and wait for it's return) further eliminating callback stuff.

Some questions regarding the future:

1. This (like many plugins) appears to provide both browsing ability and search. Perhaps the search side of things could be hooked in in a more general way to XBMC's built-in music search, or perhaps some "find similar items" type of thing at each level in the music lib?

Cheers,
Jonathan

- gazwest - 2010-01-28

Fantastic work!

Im sorry for the incredibly stupid question, as I'm pretty new to this.

I have XBMClive Camelot. Is there a guide or HOW-TO to help me add this superb function?

- alex84 - 2010-01-28

I switched to XBMC 1 week ago and i took me 1day to get rid of my tvix 6500 "RIP" Then found this thread and man this is something great. An easy howto install would be wery helpful for me to. I want to start my install the second i come home tomorow. Keep upp the great work =)

- BouncinDave - 2010-01-28

gazwest Wrote:Fantastic work!

Im sorry for the incredibly stupid question, as I'm pretty new to this.

I have XBMClive Camelot. Is there a guide or HOW-TO to help me add this superb function?

Seconded please Laugh