Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) (/showthread.php?tid=67012)

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - carret - 2012-06-16

(2012-06-16, 07:34)Balthazar Wrote: I hope you do make an idiots guide for compiling this, as I seem to be an idiot. I am not exactly a newb, but I'll be dammed if I can get it to work. I have gone through Akezeke's instructions to the letter and it doesn't work. I must be missing something Confused

I'm not a newb either and I cant compile it on a 64 bits distribution ( I tried Debian and Archlinux). I suppose that there is a problem with that architecture.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - discmeister - 2012-06-16

I'm making progress. I have something approaching a working install of this on Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit.

I have been taking notes, and I hope to put a web page live soon that could help others going through the same trials.

However, one quick question to those who may know: how do I choose Eden (11.0) as the version of XBMC that I'd like to be rolled up in SpotyXBMC? Right now it's 12.0, which isn't exactly stable. Just wondering!

Discy

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - neoflex - 2012-06-16

(2012-06-16, 17:14)discmeister Wrote: how do I choose Eden (11.0) as the version of XBMC that I'd like to be rolled up in SpotyXBMC? Right now it's 12.0, which isn't exactly stable. Just wondering!

if you're using git:
Code:
git checkout Eden
within the directory you cloned the spotyXBMC2

Code:
git checkout master
will take you back to the last but not always stable version.

then
Code:
./bootstrap && ./configure && make clean && make && sudo make install

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - neoflex - 2012-06-16

(2012-06-16, 12:12)soder Wrote: About the "Master" and the "Eden" branch: Is both branches updated with Spotify stuff? If some changes are made that has to do with the Spotify part, is that then coming to the branch that is not up to date with the XBMC development, but based on the stable version of XBMC?

/Söder
yes, both version have spotify integrated. And yes, when we make changes to things related to spotify, we usually apply them to all branches.
Although, maybe that won't be always the case. For instance, when we'll update to last version of the libspotify. Last versions don't support the spotify radio. Should we remove the radio support from the stable Eden based version of spotyXBMC though? I would tend to say no but it's open to discussion.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - discmeister - 2012-06-17

Okay, thanks to those who helped. I've now compiled an Eden-based version of SpotyXBMC2 and it's working, well, very nicely indeed on an old laptop that I have.

General usability seems way beyond what's on offer by Spotimc. However, there's one thing I'm curious on.

I would like to be able to restrict the albums listed under any given artist to JUST those of that artist that I have starred. So to give you an example, I'd like to be able to star 'Born & Raised' by John Mayer only, and then have ONLY that album appear under John Mayer in Artists.

As I see it, the current way that SpotyXBMC2 works is that it automatically lists EVERY album available for that artist, whether I want that to happen or not.

Is that definitely the case, or am I missing an option either in set-up or in the configuration menu? And if it IS the case, are there any plans to offer the ability to cut down?

The reason I ask is that I'm frankly unlikely to use my XBMC box in the same way that I'd use Spotify app on my iPad or laptop, mainly because it's such a pain to type in artist names with a remote control. I'd like to be able to 'browse and discover' on other devices, then just have the 'starred' music offered to me via SpotyXBMC2 on my under-telly box.

All help/comments gratefully received. In the meantime, thanks for a terrific add-on. I'm going to put together a guide on how to compile this evening and will post a link to the web page it's on as soon as it's up and running, to help newbies.

Kind regards to all,

Discy

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Hetoft - 2012-06-18

@ discmeister:

You're a good man. Smile I went through the same process as you just did, a week ago. I got it working quite alright, but decided to just go with the regular XBMC builds and use Spotimc instead... Took me a day or two before I quite understood what all that Git stuff was about - let alone finding the right branch and compiling it! What a lenghty process. I still have the SpotyXBMC2 (Frodo Alpha 1 based) 32-bit Windows install .exe if anyone wants it?

In part because of the exact same "problem" you're talking about here. Because it has to load all that album information and cover art for every artist in your library, it takes A LOT of time (in which XBMC just freezes) before it opens... And there's no clear way to tell whether it's an artist from Spotify or a local artist, and thus, you also easily end up with two duplicate artists in your library view (one for local, one for Spotify).

Plus, I found it to be slow and a bit unresponsive... But it's on the right track, still.

Get it integrated a bit better, perhaps by adding a "Spotify" submenu (next to your local Artists, Album, Genre etc. submenus) and have it work the same way, and I'd definitely be using it. Oh, and maybe start compiling builds as well, and just uploading the finished .exes. Big Grin

I don't think what you're looking for is possible, the way SpotyXBMC2 works at the moment. But one can only hope they'll continue developing this otherwise excellent little gem. Smile

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - discmeister - 2012-06-18

Thanks for the reply, Hetoft. As soon as I get my Wordpress blog up and running, I'm going to post the instructions.

I'm still relatively optimistic that a solution can be found to my problem, if only because this still seems to be a relatively active project... Fingers crossed one of the dev team will reply and let me know whether I should keep hope or give up!

Regards to all,

Discy

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - neoflex - 2012-06-18

Quote:I would like to be able to restrict the albums listed under any given artist to JUST those of that artist that I have starred. So to give you an example, I'd like to be able to star 'Born & Raised' by John Mayer only, and then have ONLY that album appear under John Mayer in Artists.

I like this idea. How would you see this? As a additional parameter within the addon settings? It's maybe too much of an hassle to switch between both options then. Maybe a subcategory within the artist view of the music library could be better. all albums or starred albums. Or by default starred albums and on top an additional entry: all albums.

Don't know it's its possible and not too much work though, but I'd love to see this too.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - discmeister - 2012-06-18

I'd see it as a tick-box under the addon settings. 'All albums under artist', 'Starred albums under artist only'. Simple!

Given that SpotyXBMC already picks artists based on whether or not they have even one track starred, I'd surely have thought it was possible to do?

I hope someone involved in the build thinks it's worthwhile; it's the last step needed to make SpotyXBMC2 the complete integrated solution, really.

Regards to all,

Discy

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Balthazar - 2012-06-23

(2012-06-16, 23:29)neoflex Wrote:
(2012-06-16, 17:14)discmeister Wrote: how do I choose Eden (11.0) as the version of XBMC that I'd like to be rolled up in SpotyXBMC? Right now it's 12.0, which isn't exactly stable. Just wondering!

if you're using git:
Code:
git checkout Eden
within the directory you cloned the spotyXBMC2

Code:
git checkout master
will take you back to the last but not always stable version.

then
Code:
./bootstrap && ./configure && make clean && make && sudo make install

(2012-06-18, 11:32)discmeister Wrote: Thanks for the reply, Hetoft. As soon as I get my Wordpress blog up and running, I'm going to post the instructions.

I'm still relatively optimistic that a solution can be found to my problem, if only because this still seems to be a relatively active project... Fingers crossed one of the dev team will reply and let me know whether I should keep hope or give up!

Regards to all,

Discy

I'm looking forward to your blogpost on this Discy, hopefully it will help me make more sense of using Git.

A question for you guys: Are these the right steps to compile the Eden branch? If not what do I need to do differently? This assumes that I have the build dependencies installed correctly (which I do).

1. Clone spotyxbmc2 to a directory:
Code:
user@comp:~/xbmctemp$ git clone git://github.com/akezeke/spotyxbmc2.git

2. Git checkout the Eden branch in the same directory: (This is where I screwed up; this needs to be ran from ~/xbmctemp/spotyxbmc2. The correct command is:
Code:
user@comp:~/xbmctemp/spotyxbmc2$ git checkout Eden

3. Move the API key to the spotyxbmc2 directory:
Code:
user@comp:~/xbmctemp$ cp /home/user/appkey.h /home/user/xbmctemp/spotyxbmc2

4. Move into the spotyxbmc2 directory:
Code:
user@comp:~/xbmctemp$ cd ~/xbmctemp/spotyxbmc2

5. Compile:
Code:
user@comp:~/xbmctemp/spotyxbmc2$ ./bootstrap && ./configure && make clean && make && sudo make install

Please let me know if I am missing something here. I would love to get this up and running!

Edit: I finally got this to compile on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04! The master branch won't build, so switch to the Eden branch. Follow the steps above. Keep in mind everything before the $ is my command prompt, yours won't be the same.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Tommy24 - 2012-06-23

Hi to all,

hopefully someone can help. I wann compile Eden with pvr and Spotifyxbmc2 support, can someone give me a short introduction which git to use, waht libs to install? or maybe a script?

i got medium knowledge in linux so i just need to know the correct way to install.

Thanks in advance

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Balthazar - 2012-06-23

(2012-06-23, 15:00)Tommy24 Wrote: Hi to all,

hopefully someone can help. I wann compile Eden with pvr and Spotifyxbmc2 support, can someone give me a short introduction which git to use, waht libs to install? or maybe a script?

i got medium knowledge in linux so i just need to know the correct way to install.

Thanks in advance

As far as the libraries, according to the readme file for linux do:

Code:
# sudo apt-get install git-core make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev libplist-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev autopoint libltdl-dev

Follow the instructions in my previous post and substitute
Code:
https://github.com/dtony/xbmc-pvr-spotify.git
you should be good to go.

Discmeister is working on a blog to lay out more details.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - carret - 2012-06-23

Still no progress with 64 bits distros? It's a pain use the plugin spotimc...

(2012-06-23, 17:47)carret Wrote: Still no progress with 64 bits distros? It's a pain use the plugin spotimc...

@carret I did this on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. You have to use the Eden branch, the master branch still won't build. See post #910. If I understand things correctly the master branch is roughly equivalent to running nightly builds. I don't think all of the new audio engine stuff is working on Linux yet. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RE: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - carret - 2012-06-24

(2012-06-23, 19:13)Balthazar Wrote:
(2012-06-23, 17:47)carret Wrote: Still no progress with 64 bits distros? It's a pain use the plugin spotimc...

@carret I did this on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. You have to use the Eden branch, the master branch still won't build. See post #910. If I understand things correctly the master branch is roughly equivalent to running nightly builds. I don't think all of the new audio engine stuff is working on Linux yet. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oww! Thank you!! It compiled finally!! I missed your edited comment.

Now, I have a little issue, xbmc crash at boot (restarting itself) three times. Then it starts normally, I have to go to the addon configuration to enable it (I had to type my username and password that I tought that it wont be necessary because I compiled the addon with my spotify app key), then it works perfectly. I have this issue every time (at least it remembers my username and password). The master branch on 32 bit version works better. I hope that the master branch works on 64 bits soon.