Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD stuttering playback on Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD stuttering playback on Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=67526)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- reddeath - 2010-04-28

Dan1son and Bobby,
I applied all your suggestions and now HD movies run without buffering stops. Thanks! That was a great help.

- nikiiv - 2010-04-28

dan1son Wrote:Now I'm running both 2.4 and 5ghz bands and can keep up with any demand I've tried. Multiple 1080p streams while streaming HD from the net works without issue now.

Hey dan1son, what kind of router are you running?
I am considering buying dual wireless one but need an advise on the brand and model..

- dan1son - 2010-04-28

nikiiv Wrote:Hey dan1son, what kind of router are you running?
I am considering buying dual wireless one but need an advise on the brand and model..

I went with the D-Link DIR-825 mostly due to price. It's the first D-Link router I've bought and I have to say it's not bad. It's been rock solid for the three weeks I've had it. Their automatic QOS didn't work, but I manually set it up and it's working well. I normally run DD-WRT on my routers but haven't really felt the urge to do so on this one.

- dan1son - 2010-04-28

reddeath Wrote:Dan1son and Bobby,
I applied all your suggestions and now HD movies run without buffering stops. Thanks! That was a great help.

Good to hear it. There are some odd requirements for speedy 802.11N that don't seem to be "default" settings.

- boretti - 2010-12-05

Hi all,

I'm look for a nice media-player set and want to buy an Apple TV with broadcom HD card to use it with XBMC. Here and there I'm reading about stuttering video.
In this thread I've read there's a solution for this, but before buying the Apple TV, I want to be sure this is a good working solution.

My setup now is an old XBOX with xbmc, connected with an ethernet wire to a 10/100 MBps switch/router. All media is stored on a Conceptronic NAS. This is a good setup as long as you don't want to play HD movies.....

- konan - 2010-12-05

boretti Wrote:Hi all,

I'm look for a nice media-player set and want to buy an Apple TV with broadcom HD card to use it with XBMC. Here and there I'm reading about stuttering video.
In this thread I've read there's a solution for this, but before buying the Apple TV, I want to be sure this is a good working solution.

Don't go for Apple TV w/CrystalHD. It has constant problems with XBMC software that are not resolving. I've been a huge fan and a believer myself for over a year and now I am losing my hope. Just go for one of those Intel Atom + Nvidia ION smallish boxes (newegg sells a lot of them) with XBMC for Windows or Linux and it will work for you just fine.

It seems like XBMC team is dropping their attention to AppleTV platform (the same happened to XBOX earlier) since the playback problems on are not resolving and there are no signs for hope that they ever will.

- jthunder - 2010-12-05

Not true. Davilla and others are actively developing and fixing issues related to the ATV platform. Most of the focus, AFAIK, is around the atv-linux platform due to the performance overhead of running osx as the platform. The ATV/CrystalHD platform should be quite stable once the drivers and xbmc release are sorted.

JT

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2010-12-05

If you are having trouble with hd video after upgrading xbmc, try reinstalling the crystal hd drivers and restarting your machine.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84471&page=4

Post 32 in the thread, hopes this helps guys.

- konan - 2010-12-05

jthunder Wrote:Not true. Davilla and others are actively developing and fixing issues related to the ATV platform. Most of the focus, AFAIK, is around the atv-linux platform due to the performance overhead of running osx as the platform. The ATV/CrystalHD platform should be quite stable once the drivers and xbmc release are sorted.

JT

Glad you still have hope. My experience is quite the opposite. The last stable release that I can play HD 1080 movies on without much troubles is Beta 2 + r156. Everything that is later does not work to the point that I have to revert back to Beta 2.

- xeonicxpression - 2010-12-05

konan Wrote:Glad you still have hope. My experience is quite the opposite. The last stable release that I can play HD 1080 movies on without much troubles is Beta 2 + r156. Everything that is later does not work to the point that I have to revert back to Beta 2.

I'm on RC2 with r174 and I can play anything just fine. I get some dropped frames at the start of the movie and then its smooth as silk from there on out. To say that the team has abandoned the ATV platform is just plain stupid. Davilla is actively developing for the ATV Linux + Chystal HD platform. I too had almost lost faith in my ATV, but as of RC2 I'm back to being a happy camper. I watched a full 1080p movie last night with no issues.

- konan - 2010-12-05

xeonicxpression Wrote:... Davilla is actively developing for the ATV Linux + Chystal HD platform.

Are you suggesting that ATV owners have to switch to Linux + CrystalHD?

- davilla - 2010-12-06

konan Wrote:It seems like XBMC team is dropping their attention to AppleTV platform (the same happened to XBOX earlier) since the playback problems on are not resolving and there are no signs for hope that they ever will.

Oh so very wrong Smile

- Jimmer - 2010-12-06

konan Wrote:Are you suggesting that ATV owners have to switch to Linux + CrystalHD?

If you did, you'd never go back....

... seriously though this is a highly developed platform. Just because one or two betas suck - well guess what? They're Betas. That's right. That makes you a Beta Tester. That means things can and will break and we collect up our logs and try to help the team out. Then when the final rock solid release comes out you can take some small satisfaction that in some way you helped out. It probably won't pay the guys who do the coding back for even a millionth of the effort they've put in to this masterpiece, but it still something...

However, you could always go back to Camelot and wait for Dharma final if you've nothing constructive to offer in the testing phase...

- Riderzzz - 2010-12-06

Jimmer Wrote:If you did, you'd never go back....

... seriously though this is a highly developed platform. Just because one or two betas suck - well guess what? They're Betas. That's right. That makes you a Beta Tester. That means things can and will break and we collect up our logs and try to help the team out. Then when the final rock solid release comes out you can take some small satisfaction that in some way you helped out. It probably won't pay the guys who do the coding back for even a millionth of the effort they've put in to this masterpiece, but it still something...

However, you could always go back to Camelot and wait for Dharma final if you've nothing constructive to offer in the testing phase...

me liking this post

- Jimmer - 2010-12-06

Riderzzz Wrote:me liking this post

Lol! Just had to let it out man! Must have been building up...