Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD stuttering playback on Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD stuttering playback on Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=67526)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- ewequeone - 2010-03-17

thought I'd just update this thread as there has obviously been a fair bit of information lost since the lightning strike and subsequent data corruption.

The last nightly I've been running r28146 with minimal issues. Occasionally it stutters for perhaps less then a second randomly, and there is still the issue with initial playback stuttering, but apart from that, it seems pretty good to use.

Hope this helps others.

Cheers,

Jason.

- severe - 2010-03-17

Wow! There's a lot lost, huh?

At any rate, without getting too detailed at the moment, the latest build seems to include what seems like some type of memory leak. I'm experiencing stuttering and dropped frame issues that get increasingly worse as the movies progress. I've had this occur with both 720p and 1080p formats.

Most recently, I was unable to finish viewing a couple movies, as they stopped playing before they ended and would not continue when trying to resume.

Any similar issues out there?

- akg4y - 2010-03-17

Yup, sucks... ah well so goes the internets.

Same Here - rla1022 - 2010-03-17

severe Wrote:Wow! There's a lot lost, huh?

At any rate, without getting too detailed at the moment, the latest build seems to include what seems like some type of memory leak. I'm experiencing stuttering and dropped frame issues that get increasingly worse as the movies progress. I've had this occur with both 720p and 1080p formats.

Most recently, I was unable to finish viewing a couple movies, as they stopped playing before they ended and would not continue when trying to resume.

Sucks about the data loss. I experience the same thing. I have just gotten used to actually turning off the ATV.
I have the most recent build in launcher.
Here is the weirdest thing though, i have a (dont know the specs) file that played perfectly fine without the broadcom card, but now stutters a little. I will try to get the debug

- davilla - 2010-03-17

severe Wrote:Wow! There's a lot lost, huh?

"top -o cpu" will show any memory leaks. don't forget about 5) at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69384 .

- doogles - 2010-03-17

Davilla, i just got my card in the mail. everything works perfectly. Now here comes cool part. I got r41 compiled and ready to go. I want to help the effort and look for the driver mem leak #5. What is best way to output debug statments in the driver? Can i use IOLog? thanks and I looking forward to helping you.
Side thought, first test will be to decode one frame at a time and see how the size of the driver vmem grows.

- davilla - 2010-03-18

doogles Wrote:Davilla, i just got my card in the mail. everything works perfectly. Now here comes cool part. I got r41 compiled and ready to go. I want to help the effort and look for the driver mem leak #5. What is best way to output debug statments in the driver? Can i use IOLog? thanks and I looking forward to helping you.
Side thought, first test will be to decode one frame at a time and see how the size of the driver vmem grows.

You might want to back up from r41. R26 would be a good place to start. Beyond R26 is very unstable at the moment as bcm70015 support in going in.

IOLog and tail -f /var/log/system.log . It's not the decode process, it's starting up, shutting down. Just open/close the driver is not enough, need to actually decode video to trip it. I suggest using the h.264 example app to make things simple and quick rather than starting up/exit XBMC all the time.

Take a look at the IOMem and DMA calls and track their release state. Some class is not auto releasing.

- doogles - 2010-03-18

how do i svn 26?
when i run the svn command its just grabbing 41,
i got some ideas on how to determine whats not getting released.

ps i am not seeing it leak atm
i am almost an hour into matrix 720p and kernel task is not growing.
i am assuming the kernel task is qhat should be getting bigger since the kext is essentially a kernel extension

yes my idea is to use your sample to run through files decoding
i am going to dump kernel mem with another custom ext and see what structs are not getting freed

- davilla - 2010-03-18

doogles Wrote:how do i svn 26?
when i run the svn command its just grabbing 41,
i got some ideas on how to determine whats not getting released.

ps i am not seeing it leak atm
i am almost an hour into matrix 720p and kernel task is not growing.
i am assuming the kernel task is qhat should be getting bigger since the kext is essentially a kernel extension

yes my idea is to use your sample to run through files decoding
i am going to dump kernel mem with another custom ext and see what structs are not getting freed

svn checkout -r 26 http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ crystalhd-for-osx

- UnisonRuss - 2010-03-18

Is anyone here using the crystal HD card in a Mac Mini? I am wondering how your experience is while running 1080P? What's your CPU usage? My mini plays 720P like nothing, but 1080P does drop frames at times, and I'm thinking of giving this a try...Thank you!

- davilla - 2010-03-18

UnisonRuss Wrote:Is anyone here using the crystal HD card in a Mac Mini? I am wondering how your experience is while running 1080P? What's your CPU usage? My mini plays 720P like nothing, but 1080P does drop frames at times, and I'm thinking of giving this a try...Thank you!

Sweet on my 1.6GHz coreduo (one of my dev boxes).

- UnisonRuss - 2010-03-18

I definitely want in... I posted a few quick question in the other thread I started, so I won't repeat them here. Glad to know it gets full 1080P playback though, that's really exciting! Great job with all of your work Smile

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-03-18

davilla Wrote:Beyond R26 is very unstable at the moment as bcm70015 support in going in.

nice work Scott, keep it up. We all know what the BCM70015 and single threading is for Laugh

- severe - 2010-03-31

Ok...

Finally sat down for a movie tonight, since the last time I posted. Same issues as usual. See my previous post.

Fired up the ATV which had been unplugged for a week, began viewing a 720p movie, and it just crapped out about half-way through. Nothing. Won't resume at all. We restart many (4-6) times. The movie will just not play past the 52 minute mark.

Finally tried beginning from the start of the movie and fast forwarding. After nearly 15 minutes of that grueling process, we attempt watching at the 45 minute mark and it freezes up, yet again.

This is ridiculous. I cannot finish watching any HD content. I've read all about the CrystalHD status. How's 'bout throwing us a bone here and updating us with a progress report?

- davilla - 2010-03-31

severe Wrote:Ok...

Finally sat down for a movie tonight, since the last time I posted. Same issues as usual. See my previous post.

Fired up the ATV which had been unplugged for a week, began viewing a 720p movie, and it just crapped out about half-way through. Nothing. Won't resume at all. We restart many (4-6) times. The movie will just not play past the 52 minute mark.

Finally tried beginning from the start of the movie and fast forwarding. After nearly 15 minutes of that grueling process. We attempt watching at the 45 minute mark and it freezes up, yet again.

This is ridiculous. I cannot finish watching any HD content. I've read all about the CrystalHD status. How's 'bout throwing us a bone here and updating us with a progress report?

Since you did not pastebin xbmc.log and let me pull out my crystal ball and say, SMB sharing from 10.6 and 45-50 mins is about 2GB thus tripping the SMB sharing bug under 10.6. How's 'bout throwing us a bone here and pastebining xbmc.log so we might have some clue as to what the issue might or might not be.