Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu (/showthread.php?tid=67819)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Screenshots - matt456 - 2010-04-06

Hi,

The screenshots link has maxed out on rapidshare, anyone have another copy?

Cheers,
Matt

Screenshots - hottech956 - 2010-04-12

I am extremely new to this, i tried following the tut, but when it asks to follow the pics, i cannot download them. Could anyone please post the screenshots if they have them or Step by Step tut. Thanks

- shamo42 - 2010-04-16

I second this. Downloaded the backup file but without the screenshots I'm not able to follow the guides.

Could somebody please upload these screenshots again?

- myrison - 2010-04-16

I sent Deck a message to ask if he can repost them elsewhere or as a torrent. I don't have the originals myself, but if he gets back to me, I'll find some way to get them back online.

If you have other questions that you want to ask after trying to apply the image, feel free to try posting them here. I'll do my best.

- jthunder - 2010-04-16

How about until the screenshots are available, provide peeps with the "been using linux for a while crowd". What I need to get this done:

1. A list of the commands needed to properly partition the REVO drive.
2. The command needed to restore the image to the appropriate partition.

Thanks!

- shamo42 - 2010-04-17

myrison Wrote:I sent Deck a message to ask if he can repost them elsewhere or as a torrent. I don't have the originals myself, but if he gets back to me, I'll find some way to get them back online.

If you have other questions that you want to ask after trying to apply the image, feel free to try posting them here. I'll do my best.

Would be great. I'm following this guide from post 63

This part is where I don't know what to do because of the missing screenshots:
"Once in the GUI I opened a terminal window and followed the screenshots from the fist post (starting with screenshot #9) to fdisk the drive and partition it as required. The screen shots are step by step and work fine."

Is it correct that fdisk is used to parition the disk to the following sizes?
"Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19177 154039221 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19178 19457 2249100 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19178 19457 2249068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris"

I'm a linux noob but maybe I can do this with more research about the fdisk command. If I succeed I'll post the results here.

- shamo42 - 2010-04-21

Could please someone help me.

I finally managed to get the exact same partition table with fdisk and formated everything with mkfs.
Then I used partimage to restore the image and it seemed to work.
Instead of XBMC I get this message after rebooting:
"error: file not found
grub rescue"

Sad

What did I do wrong? Did I use the wrong option is partimage?

There were 2:
-Restore partition from an image file (I chose that one)
-Restore an MBR from the image file

It's 1 am and I'm giving up for today. Maybe I'll try some more tomorrow.

edit:
Ok, just found this:
http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-restore-grub-in-ubuntu/2008/04/11
will try it tomorrow. If it works, I'll write a tutorial for other inexperienced users.

- shamo42 - 2010-04-21

Finally it worked.
Many thanks to myrison, thermite451, DecK, Th3R00st3r and other members involved in this thread. Great work guys.

As promised a tutorial on how to get xbmc running on an Acer Revo 1600 or 1610 without stutter or judder in less than an hour:

What you need:

-Acer Revo 1600 or 1610
-USB Stick between 2GB and 32GB
-thermite's image: link to torrent
-PC with a working operation system (I used Windows7)

1. Format your usb stick to fat32 if it isn't already. In Windows you can do this by running cmd and typing "format <drive letter>: /FS:FAT32". Alternatively you can follow step nr. 2 from this tutorial to make sure your stick will be bootable later.

2. Download "parted magic from usb" from here and follow these instructions carefully on how to put it on your usb stick.

3. Copy thermite's image to your stick. You should now have 2 folders and the image in the root directory.

4. Put the USB stick in your Revo and make sure there are no other usb-sticks or hard disks (except the internal one) connected. (Re)boot it and immediately press F12 a few times to get to the boot menu.

5. Select to boot from usb. In the next screen with the timer countdown, select the 1. Option (default settings) or just let the timer run down to 0.

6. There will be another screen. Chose the 3rd option (xvesa) to boot into a "parted magic version" of linux.

7. Let it boot and open a terminal. There should be a shortcut on the lower left side.

8. What we need to do now is delete all partitions on sda and create a new partition table. (If you are totally unfamiliar with fdisk you might want to read part 5.1 and 5.2 from this how to) I will try to give correct instructions but as a beginner myself I may make mistakes:

9. Delete partitions:
in the terminal:
-type "fdisk -l" to list your hard disks and partitions. There should be one hard disk called sda and one usb stick calles sdb.
-type "fdisk /dev/sda"
-type "p" to show all your partitions. (About numbers: /dev/sda1 means the partition number is 1. or /dev/sda5/ means the partition number is 5)
-delete every partition by typing "d". you will be asked the partition number
-after deleting check again with "p" if there is no partition left

10. Create new partition table:
-type "n". Type "p" for primary. Enter "1" when asked for the number. For the "First cylinder" just hit return or enter "1". For the "Last cylinder" enter "19177"
-type "n". Type "e" for extended. Enter "2" when asked for the number. For the "First cylinder" just hit return or enter "19178". For the "Last cylinder" enter "19457" or hit return again
-type "n". Type "l" for logical. For the "First cylinder" just hit return or enter "19178". For the "Last cylinder" enter "19457" or hit return again.
-type "a" and then "1" to make the 1. partition bootable
-type "t", "5" and finally "82"
-check with "p" if your partition table now looks like this:
/dev/sda1 * 1 19177 154039221 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19178 19457 2249100 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19178 19457 2249068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris"
-type "w" to write the changes to the disk

11. Format the partitions (I'm not sure this is necessary):
In the terminal enter "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda1"
"mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda2"
"mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda5"
exit the terminal

12. Restore the image:
-click on "start" -> "system tools" -> "partition image"
-navigate with the tab key in this menu. "partition to save restore" needs to be "sda1"
-for "image file to create use" enter "/media/sdb/Revo_1600_XBMC.000"
Note: your usb stick might be under a different location. Type "fdisk -l" in the terminal to list your devices and replace "/media/sdb/" accordingly.
-for "action to be done" choose "restore partition from an image file"
-press F5 to continue and follow the instructions. In a couple of minutes the image should be restored

13. Final step. Restore GRUB:
-open the terminal again
-enter "grub"
-"find /boot/grub/stage1"
-"root (hd0,0)"
-"setup (hd0)"
-"quit"
-reboot

Done. Enjoy XBMC.

I recommend to make your own xorg.conf using this tutorial. This is important if you still suffer from judder.

Also make sure hardware acceleration is turned on in the menu:
VIDEO: Setting > Video > Play:
Set Render to - VDPAU

Optional:

Fix the "suspend bug" (thanks to owagner):
-exit XBMC
-type "sudo service gdm start"
-password is "xbmc!"
-after boot open terminal and wait until its ready
-enter "sudo gedit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf"
-enter password "xbmc!" again
-find the line <match user="root">
-modify it to read <match user="root|xbmc">
-save
-reboot
I haven't tried but I think this fixes the "shutdown bug" as well.

Enable HDMI sound:
open terminal
type "alsamixer"
unmute hdmi
more info here

Auto-mount USB Drive(s):
follow this excellent tutorial from prupert

- dc197 - 2010-04-21

Hi all
This looks very promising. Do you see any reason why this image would not work for a Revo 3610?

Thanks

DC

- dc197 - 2010-04-21

Hello all
The screenshots have disappeared, and are not downloadable from RapidShare. Where can I find them please? I can put them up on a server so make them available for others, but first I need them!
Cheers
DC

- myrison - 2010-04-21

I think only DecK has the original images. I unfortunately do not. If anyone else has downloaded them and retained a copy, it'd be nice if we could get them to dc197 to more permanently host them.

Image restored - hottech956 - 2010-04-22

I restored the image successfully, using the tut on post 98. Unfortunately when i tried playing a mkv movie, i still get a judder. The video and sound work well thru hdmi, except for the judder. Any ideas on how to overcome this?

- shamo42 - 2010-04-22

hottech956 Wrote:I restored the image successfully, using the tut on post 98. Unfortunately when i tried playing a mkv movie, i still get a judder. The video and sound work well thru hdmi, except for the judder. Any ideas on how to overcome this?

I recommend to make your own xorg.conf using this tutorial. I think this is important.

Also make sure hardware acceleration is turned on in the menu:
VIDEO: Setting > Video > Play:
Set Render to - VDPAU

- myrison - 2010-04-23

Hottech - I'd suggest you start a separate thread with the specifics including a log file, "MediaInfo" of the file being played, etc. You're more likely to have it seen by a wider audience than just including it here. If it turns out to be something wrong with the image, please let us know here so that I can update the thread accordingly.

- dc197 - 2010-04-24

Hi Shamo
Thanks for the detailed guide. Couple of points that came up. One, sudo is not found, so I just ran mkfs without sudo, ie by executing
mkfs -t blah
instead of
sudo mkfs -t blah

Secondly, for whatever strange reason, the partition program could not find /media/sdb/Revo_1600_XBMC.000, and nor could I.
I searched for it, then yanked out the USB and stuck it back in windows to verify the image's presence, stuck the USB back in the revo, searched again, and found it in /media/disk-1/
So if other people also see an error about not finding the image when you're trying to reload it, have a look in /media/ for it.

Eventually I got the image installed, and with a little tweaking got hdmi sound working (I had to unmute it in alsamixer).

Some of the problems with the environment (possibly due to flaws within Linux, rather than the image). Plugging in a USB drive doesn't automatically make it available to XBMC. This is very annoying. I went though a convoluted set-up to ensure that one of my drives gets automatically mounted at boot, farting around with fstab in a text editor, but this only works if the drive is present at boot. If not, and you plug it in later, it doesn't see it. That's kinda lame.

The set-up plays media very well but it's only half of the equation for me. There's no torrent client, no web browser, so I cannot use this PC to source new media, only play exiting media. SO I think I will go back to what I had before, 9.10 netbook remix with XBMC as an application. Before I do so, I would like to backup XBMC's settings. Can anyone tell me please: which config files are needed for this?

Thanks

DC