Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu (/showthread.php?tid=67819)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- ironcowboy - 2010-04-24

I'm not sure which step I'm messing up on but it wont allow me to copy anything into the home folder on the USB drive, the folder has a lock symbol on it and it denies me access.

- shamo42 - 2010-04-24

dc197 Wrote:Hi Shamo
Thanks for the detailed guide. Couple of points that came up. One, sudo is not found, so I just ran mkfs without sudo, ie by executing
mkfs -t blah
instead of
sudo mkfs -t blah

Secondly, for whatever strange reason, the partition program could not find /media/sdb/Revo_1600_XBMC.000, and nor could I.
I searched for it, then yanked out the USB and stuck it back in windows to verify the image's presence, stuck the USB back in the revo, searched again, and found it in /media/disk-1/

Thanks, I'll edit the guide.

dc197 Wrote:Some of the problems with the environment (possibly due to flaws within Linux, rather than the image). Plugging in a USB drive doesn't automatically make it available to XBMC. This is very annoying. I went though a convoluted set-up to ensure that one of my drives gets automatically mounted at boot, farting around with fstab in a text editor, but this only works if the drive is present at boot. If not, and you plug it in later, it doesn't see it. That's kinda lame.

I recently made a fresh install with the guide on the first page. It has ubuntu 9.10 and doesn't suffer from the usb issue which annoyed me as well.

dc197 Wrote:The set-up plays media very well but it's only half of the equation for me. There's no torrent client, no web browser, so I cannot use this PC to source new media, only play exiting media. SO I think I will go back to what I had before, 9.10 netbook remix with XBMC as an application. Before I do so, I would like to backup XBMC's settings. Can anyone tell me please: which config files are needed for this?

What do you mean? If it's just the settings in the menu you could note them down. Or the xorg.conf settings?
Or do you mean skin settings/library settings etc.?

- shamo42 - 2010-04-24

ironcowboy Wrote:I'm not sure which step I'm messing up on but it wont allow me to copy anything into the home folder on the USB drive, the folder has a lock symbol on it and it denies me access.

Weird. Can you copy it with the "sudo cp" command from the terminal?

- ironcowboy - 2010-04-25

shamo42 Wrote:Weird. Can you copy it with the "sudo cp" command from the terminal?

I was able to do it that way but only from a portable USB HDD I have, for some reason every time I tried another way, it wouldn't work.

Now I'm trying to find the screenshots, has anybody reposted those somewhere?

- dc197 - 2010-04-26

shamo42 Wrote:I recently made a fresh install with the guide on the first page. It has ubuntu 9.10 and doesn't suffer from the usb issue which annoyed me as well.

Oooh cool I will try that too, as part of my not-so-bare-bones installation.

shamo42 Wrote:What do you mean? If it's just the settings in the menu you could note them down. Or the xorg.conf settings?
Or do you mean skin settings/library settings etc.?

A file to describe my XBMC installation, without cosmetics. Yes, I think it's xorg.conf that I want. XBMC crashed a couple of times over the weekend (while talking to Last.fm - sounds like no-one's heard of try/catch/finally) and looking at the dump it seems that this file is the one I want.

Thanks again

- dc197 - 2010-04-27

One more thing - although the image is for Revo 1600, and Shamo has said that it's suitable for Revo 1600 or 1610, I have used it on Revo 3610 and it's fine.

- ironcowboy - 2010-04-27

It's been years since I've used linux but I was able to get it to work using Shamo's guide, thanks! Now I just need to find the idiots guide to installing plugins and skins.

- steve1977 - 2010-05-02

myrison Wrote:Pitfall 6: Remote control install
Again, there are several good guides for this. This one explains how it works fairly well. Second, this is a great guide if you have a Harmony remote. This thread is also very good.

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, none of them answers my question how LIRC can actually use the Revo-internal IR-Sender instead of a MCE Sener via USB. Is that at all possible?

- NickMc53 - 2010-05-13

Anyone find a fix for the power options issue? Doesn't seem like thermite uploaded a new image with the fix and the guide in the OP just mentions it isn't working right.

Found this code in this thread... could be the answer!?

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

I assume you replace xbmc with your user name.

Edit: How about those screen shots? At least 11 people have them.

- NickMc53 - 2010-05-14

Decided to try shamo's guide and am having issues with the parted image tut...

I copied the two folders from the download into my Fat32 formatted usb's root and when I type "syslinux.exe -d \boot\syslinux -ma I:" into the Windows 7 command prompt I get an error that says " 'syslinux.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." - No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: If anyone is having the same issue replace the command with "X:\boot\syslinux\syslinux.exe -d /boot/syslinux -ma X:" (X being your specific drive letter of course).

- JUICESIX90 - 2010-05-14

I'm currently beating my head against a brick wall using the same guide (linux though).

Any chance we can us Unebootin, seems a lot more straight forward...Sad

- NickMc53 - 2010-05-14

Well now it seems I can't figure out how to select "Restore partition from an image file" within the Partition Image program...

Edit: ... Spacebar... thought I tried that before...

- myrison - 2010-05-14

Re: lack of screen shots... yes, annoying... I've PM'd a few people with no response and I don't have them myself. Grr...

- NickMc53 - 2010-05-14

Doesn't seem like we're gonna get those screen shots so I suggest you link Shamo's guide (#98) in the OP. I was able to follow it and get everything working and only ran into the two issues above.

- Th3R00st3r - 2010-05-15

I haven't been back here in a while, sorry about that. I just saw the posts asking for the screenshots.
It just so happens I saved them locally when I did my REVO..I have them and will upload in a bit..

Here it is in a zip file..
xbmcbuild Screen shots.zip

OR

xbmcbuild Screenshots Slideshow