Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- Balthazar2k4 - 2010-02-03

fluffylob Wrote:I encode all my files using x264 to main profile and mux into mp4 / m4v and mine are all green so I don't think it's the profile. Must be something else...

FWIW, my x264 command line looks like:

Code:
%x264% --pass 2 --bitrate %bitrate% --stats ".\scratch\.stats" --profile main --level 3.1 --bframes 3 --weightb --subme 7 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --vbv-bufsize 3500 --vbv-maxrate 4900 --me umh --merange 12 --threads auto --thread-input --sar 1:1 --output .\scratch\recodedvideo.264 .\avsscripts\anamorphicdvd.avs

Well, after several test encodes I have concluded 8x8DCT (or the lack thereof) is causing the problem.

- cyradix - 2010-02-03

When I enable the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option all x264files I play are very choppy/stutters (at 3-5% cpu, but the picture stutters like it's not accelerated)
If I disable the option and set my windows refresh rate to 24Hz instead of my usual 60Hz everything plays just fine!

Asus Ion board + Windows 7 32bit...

- riccardoroma - 2010-02-03

it'a a fantastic news. Later i will try the last trunk build with my ION 330 HT

- AzzX - 2010-02-03

I assume the fact that Boxee is working for DXVA with ATI cards this must be another issue.

AzzX Wrote:I assume the fact that Boxee is working for DXVA with ATI cards this must be another issue.

The method Elupus is using for DXVA is not entirely the same. If you look back a page or two you can see Elis giving Elupus ideas on how to change the implementation for improved compatibility.

- elupus - 2010-02-03

ccMatrix Wrote:I played several 1080p and 720p h264 videos without any issue. But when I just now tried to play the lastest video from the TED video podcast [1] I had an all green screen instead of the actual video. Video is reported as
Debug log is available here: http://pastebin.com/m10260785

Yup, that looks like my greenscreen issue that i've not been able to track down yet.

And to all guys:
It's very much WIP at the moment. Don't assume any bug is related to drivers. ATI'sissue should not give a fully green screen. It should either fail totally (and fall back to software) or give some corrupt frames while some are somewhat correct.

- elupus - 2010-02-03

Balthazar2k4 Wrote:So I did some testing of MP4 videos to see if I could understand why some work and others don't. I took a recent TV episode and compressed it using RipBot264 with the following x264 profile:

--level 3.1 --vbv-bufsize 1000 --vbv-maxrate 10000 --no-cabac --filter 0,0 --ref 3 --no-mixed-refs --bframes 0 --b-adapt 0 --no-weightb --direct auto --subme 7 --aq-mode 1 --trellis 0 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --no-8x8dct --me umh --weightp 0 --profile baseline

This file would playback the video with a green screen. So I changed to this profile:

--level 4.0 --aud --nal-hrd --vbv-bufsize 25000 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-adapt 1 --direct auto --subme 7 --aq-mode 1 --trellis 1 --partitions all --me umh --weightp 2

This file played fine. Now I am no video wizard by a long shot, but could the baseline profile be the problem?

Update: I made another file using the original 3.1 profile, but turning on CABAC to make it Main Profile and it still played with a green screen. I then turned back off CABAC and turned on 8x8DCT making the file High Profile and it played without a problem.

Update: I took the Level 4.0 profile that worked previously and turned off 8x8DCT and the resulting file played with a green screen. Evidently, 8x8DCT is what is affecting playback. That said, I haven't the faintest idea what that means in terms of fixing the problem...

Now that was a damn helpfull Smile. Huge thanx, should help me narrow it down.

- toker - 2010-02-03

Anyone tried build 27422 on Win7 (Nvidia CPU)?
Build 27394 broken too much stuff to use,
Things broken on 27394
Apple h.264 - green screen
Raw h.263 - black screen and corruption if it plays at all
RSTP (BBC iPlayer) - green screen.

Staying with build 27340 DSPlayer for now as it plays everything just no Subtitle support.

- elupus - 2010-02-03

I suspect i've tracked it down. Looks like ffmpeg uses a transposed dct matrix for the 4x4 mode. Which is not what dxva expects. Will test when i get home from work. (hmm this wasn't what i was supposed to do here..)

<edit>
.. Hmm but the 8x8 one is transposed aswell.... so nevermind
</edit>

- Tartifless - 2010-02-03

Hello,
Thanks a lot for this huge breakthrough.
With the latest SVN is DSPLayer the default player or do we need to change the advancedsettings ? I can't wait to test it tonight and I am wondering if I can already remotely change my advancedsettings.xml to gain a few seconds...

;-)

- elupus - 2010-02-03

Balthazar2k4:
Could you encode something with high profile and without 8x8dct's and see if that works?

- spiff - 2010-02-03

Tartifless Wrote:Hello,
Thanks a lot for this huge breakthrough.
With the latest SVN is DSPLayer the default player or do we need to change the advancedsettings ? I can't wait to test it tonight and I am wondering if I can already remotely change my advancedsettings.xml to gain a few seconds...

;-)

this has nothing to do with dsplayer.

- ashlar - 2010-02-03

elupus Wrote:It should either fail totally (and fall back to software) or give some corrupt frames while some are somewhat correct.
What I see is that when it fails it just does that... fails. Unfortunately the past two builds, since CrystalHD introduction, have given me problems outside the video rendering or inside the video rendering phase even when using regular renderer... meaning it's tough for me to provide debug info, as the WAF of XBMC not working for regular use is not particularly high. Wink

elupus Wrote:Balthazar2k4:
Could you encode something with high profile and without 8x8dct's and see if that works?

Glad I can help. Let me see what I can do....

Balthazar2k4 Wrote:Glad I can help. Let me see what I can do....

It seems that I am unable to compress High Profile without 8x8DCT. I have absolutely everything cranked up in RipBot264 except 8x8DCT turned off and it keeps creating a Main Profile video. I looked up High Profile on Wikipedia and that appears to be the main differentiating factor for High Profile is 8x8DCT compared to Main/Baseline. Any suggestions?

Edit: Upon further research, 8x8DCT is the switch that determines HP vs MP/BP when using x264. I don't think it is possible to encode HP without it (at least with x264 encoder).