Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- iblastoff - 2010-11-22

excuse my ignorance but i had stopped using xbmc because its dvxa support wasn't up to par and thus some of my mkv files were unplayable. i had to use the inferior boxee software for a while which played the same mkv files just fine.

this was several months ago though and i do not know where xbmc development is at right now. sorry for not sifting through 119 pages of forum posts but is it safe to say xbmc is at least on par with boxee on dvxa powered video playback now? is it still only available in nightly builds or is the 'official' (rc1) build now including it?

- steelman1991 - 2010-11-22

Been available for months - RC1 has it System\System\Video\Playback\Allow Hardware Acceleration.

- iblastoff - 2010-11-23

steelman1991 Wrote:Been available for months - RC1 has it System\System\Video\Playback\Allow Hardware Acceleration.

thanks for the clarification. can't wait to return to xbmc!

- nu1mlock - 2010-11-23

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried searching but couldn't find anything useful - all posts seemed useless;

According to different places on the Internet nVidia 7xxx series should be able to handle DXVA2 in W7. I've got an integrated 7050PV but activating DXVA2 doesn't make any difference - the CPU does all the work anyway.

Perhaps the 7-series doesn't support DXVA2 eventhough some places say it does? Anyone got an idea?

My CPU can handle most 1080p material anyway, but some movies won't stop studdering, which is kind of annoying, since it makes it unbearable.

Thanks

- elupus - 2010-11-23

nu1mlock, debug log would tell..

- CrystalP - 2010-11-23

W7 supports dxva2 but the nvidia 7xxx only have partial acceleration, which xbmc cannot use.

- dave77 - 2010-12-09

I've just turned on DXVA as I've started ripping bluray's, I have an Acer Revo 3610 Win7 - Dharma RC1.

When I play any video I now just get a black screen, sound works though, can anyone advise what to do?

- christoofar - 2010-12-09

dave77 Wrote:I've just turned on DXVA as I've started ripping bluray's, I have an Acer Revo 3610 Win7 - Dharma RC1.

When I play any video I now just get a black screen, sound works though, can anyone advise what to do?

You could begin with more info on how you are "ripping blurays" first of all.

- dave77 - 2010-12-09

christoofar Wrote:You could begin with more info on how you are "ripping blurays" first of all.

When I play any video file with DXVA on I get a black screen, not just bluray rips (which were done with makemkv)

- endpoint - 2010-12-21

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to get the latest release working on my new Zotac ION system working with hardware acceleration for 1080p content.

The spec of the system is;

- Zotac ION-ITX-A
- OCZ Onyx 32GB SSD
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
- 2GB RAM (with 512mb assigned to the GPU via the BIOS)
- Latest nVidia drivers (non-beta)

I've tried;

- Latest XBMC stable release (Dharma 10.0)
- Latest XBMC nightly build (35647 from 2010-12-17)
- Latest DSPlayer stable release (33619 from 08.09.10)

I can see the dxva2 option in the menus (for the official XBMC branches, not DSPlayer) and I just end up with a blank screen when attempting to play an .mkv. I eventually gave up and tried MediaPortal & it works perfectly with the same files.

Personally, I'd like to stick with XBMC, so is there anything I can do to make this work? XBMC seems to be acting the same whether I have the dxva2 option set or not.

- ashlar - 2010-12-21

You should post a full debug log, see my sig. Smile

DXVA Newbie Questions - User 82703 - 2011-01-16

Been struggling with how I want to build my XBMC HTPC, and a lot of it revolves around what I keep hearing about DXVA/DXVA2 (what's the difference?!).

I've been temporarily using XBMC on my laptop which is a C2D T6500 with integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics. Am I using DXVA with this setup? How would I check - would DXVA show up when I hit 'o' while watching a movie?

Does DXVA get used (with proper HW) on all video formats/resolutions/containers or just certain ones?

Really wanted to go with an i3 but keep hearing it can't support DXVA. Will it ever? If the i3 with iGPU would be as good or better than my current laptop with integrated gfx (even without DXVA support), it's good enough for me. I can always add a dedicated gfx card later if needed.

Edit: I enabled DXVA2 on my laptop XBMC setup and it is playing everything except 1080p VC-1 perfectly. So the C2D / 4500MHD combo is supported with XBMC DXVA2 but i3 iGPU is not?

- m4rky - 2011-04-20

My i3 with built in gpu doesn't like it when I use dxva2.

If I add a dedicated gpu card should it work properly with dxva2 enabled or is it down to the CPU??

- jhsrennie - 2011-04-21

m4rky Wrote:My i3 with built in gpu doesn't like it when I use dxva2.

If I add a dedicated gpu card should it work properly with dxva2 enabled or is it down to the CPU??

If you add a suitable NVIDIA or ATI card the hardware acceleration should work fine (I assume the on board video can be disabled).

JR

- m4rky - 2011-04-21

Thanks the onboard isn't even enabled.

My CPU is showing 86% load there really is something wrong there I know :-(