Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher (/showthread.php?tid=69321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Aswall - 2012-04-06

Hi. Resurrecting an old thread I know, but putting Eden on my atv has prompted me to get round to fitting a CrystalHD card. The card came today and fitting was straightforward, getting the drivers working and checking that XBMC recognised it all went fine, with a noticeable difference in playback, particularly with mkv files, which have gone from choppy to very smooth.

Problem is, the sound on them is now screwed up, with speech drowned out by a sound like a helicopter. It only seems to be the mkv files that are affected and the offending files playback fine when streamed to vlc on a MacBook so I'm baffled. The sound on the same files was fine on the atv before fitting the card as well, so I'm baffled. Do I need to alter the sound settings? I've tried fiddling with them randomly but no change Confused

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-04-06

You shouldn't require any special settings for sound. Can you get a debug log (wiki) from the ATV when playing the files back, and maybe run MediaInfo (wiki) on one of the mkv files?

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Aswall - 2012-04-06

I carried on messing about last night and also found that every time I exited xbmc to go back to the ATV interface it crashed, locking up and restarting after a couple of minutes. I went back to 10.1 and changed the sound setting to analogue and that seemed to fix the problem. I don't know which of these changes made the difference as I ran out of time, but I'll read up on getting that info tonight. Thanks for the reply.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Aswall - 2012-04-07

Actually, going back to 10.1 appears to have cured all the problems, and it's much more stable so I think I'll just give 11.0 a miss and stay as I am. The CrystalHD card has transformed watching larger video files and means no more having to use Handbrake to make them playable, highly recommended.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-04-07

In that case you might want to take the final step into making the ATV1 into the ultimate XBMC box: Crystalbuntu (wiki)

It's a replacement linux-based OS with XBMC v11, and it runs fantastically on an ATV1+BCHD. It's what I'm watching XBMC on right now. It runs with less overhead so the UI is faster, and can output a full 1080 (instead of just 720 upscaled on original ATV OS).

The best part is, you can install it on a USB stick and leave your normal installation alone. Great for just trying it out, or even as a dual boot option.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Aswall - 2012-04-08

I've had a look at it but not sure what benefit I would get from it. Most of what I use XBMC to watch are TV show torrents so 720 is fine. Plus I use the original OS equally as much, as I watch a lot of video podcasts, pulled from an iTunes server in the attic that also feeds multiroom music via Airports.

I have tried using XBMC to view the podcasts by pointing it to the appropriate folder on the server, but it isn't very user friendly for that. The initial view is of the subfolders and you have to go through each one to see if there is a new podcast, and then there is no auto-delete once watched so you have to do it manually.

Having said that, I'll probably give it a go on an external USB just out of curiosity, thanks.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - wrxtasy - 2012-04-17

Deleted...

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - puulima - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-07, 11:09)Ned Scott Wrote: In that case you might want to take the final step into making the ATV1 into the ultimate XBMC box: Crystalbuntu (wiki)

It's a replacement linux-based OS with XBMC v11, and it runs fantastically on an ATV1+BCHD. It's what I'm watching XBMC on right now. It runs with less overhead so the UI is faster, and can output a full 1080 (instead of just 720 upscaled on original ATV OS).

The best part is, you can install it on a USB stick and leave your normal installation alone. Great for just trying it out, or even as a dual boot option.

Ned - I see you replied to my XBMC posting on getting CrystalBuntu to work on my ATV1 - but can you also take a look at this posting @ STMLabs forum - summary of issue: CrystalBuntu install on USB thumb drive = 100% CPU utilization regardless of video file/codec type - don't have any issues playing the same video files on the ATV base OS hacked to include XBMC.

Forum post at STMLabs forums

Haven't had a chance to try (a) a larger USB drive install or (b) the advancedsettings additions you proposed or © the ALSA driver update - hopefully have time this evening - but looking for as much feedback as possible. Since there are others seeing/experiencing the same issue - hoping this will get some attention.

Thanks!

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - vorpaldinger - 2012-05-03

Do I still need to follow this driver installation process if I am running xbmc Eden on the ATV, or is the driver now already included?

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-05-04

(2012-05-03, 18:30)vorpaldinger Wrote: Do I still need to follow this driver installation process if I am running xbmc Eden on the ATV, or is the driver now already included?

I believe you still need to install the driver.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - bdavis2701 - 2012-05-08

Why am I having such difficulties with this? I have the launcher installed and shh into the atv1 via ip and when i try to login as ssh frontrow@appletv.local with a pw of frontrow I get an access denied.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Aswall - 2012-05-26

(2012-05-08, 03:26)bdavis2701 Wrote: Why am I having such difficulties with this? I have the launcher installed and shh into the atv1 via ip and when i try to login as ssh frontrow@appletv.local with a pw of frontrow I get an access denied.

I had the same problem but found it worked fine if I used the ip address of the ATV instead of appletv.local

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - bdavis2701 - 2012-06-04

I cannot seem to figure this out which is frustrating!

I log in into the atv1 and this is what I get after enter the required text

-bash-2.05b$ defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array-add http://crystalhd.sartori.at/files/crystalhd.plist
-bash-2.05b$ -bash-2.05b$

once I hit enter all i get is bash again

Thanks guys!

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Krieg - 2012-06-04

IIRC that's OK. Go to Finder/Launcher and now a new option to install the Crystal drivers should be there. Click on it.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - bdavis2701 - 2012-06-04

I reset the atv and go to downloads and all i see is eden, dharma, and launcher, I even tried to updated the launcher and nothing changes.

Would the atv power on and work if the broadcom card wasn't working or installed properly?

Any ideas,

Thanks![/align]