Kodi Community Forum
Advanced SSA and ASS subtitle support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Advanced SSA and ASS subtitle support? (/showthread.php?tid=6982)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Advanced SSA and ASS subtitle support? - GuBi-GuBi - 2003-11-22

can you please try and get xbmc to display ssa subtitles with all the effects like karaoke (when the words change colour and move to the song, used all the time in anime fansubs) and different font colours and styles? i couldn't get xbmp to even show anything of the ssa file but xbmc did but it was just plain white and only displayed the text at the bottom of the screen when it should of been at the top and bottom... also a few people have requested matroska, i also really hope this gets added as xbmp couldn't play it either. if you do add it can you please consider the proper ssa display as the whole advantage to mkv over ogm is the more advanced subtitle styles. thanks

- Morien - 2004-11-06

hi,

i recently found out about advanced matroska subtitles and thought they were pretty nifty.
on pc what they do is overide default subtitle settings and define subtitle colour, size, location, etc. however when displayed on xbmc they're just normal.
would this be possible? when displayed through xbmc at times it stuffs up and subtitles begin or end too quickly due to conflicting subs.

here's a screenshot of it on pc:
(note: they are selectable subs)

in the mkv there is a srt. here's the part that corrosponds with the above picture:
Quote:644
01:15:11,940 --> 01:15:16,940
643,0,default,,0000,0000,0000,,{\3c&h002d71&}"birds hide high up in the sky, and fish hide deep\nin the water."

01:15:11,940 --> 01:15:16,940
644,0,f.o.,,0000,0000,0000,,note: he's quoting ryokuu saitou.

could this be implemented at all?
thanks
morien

- deltop - 2004-11-06

afaik this is an mplayer problem, you need to be bugging the mplayer guys for better sub support.

xbmc itself doesn't have anything to do with the content of the subtitle streams, it's mplayer which is ignoring the extra sub info and not making use of it.

- Kreeblah - 2005-02-10

i'm wondering how (if?) i can configure xmbc to recognize ttf fonts that are referenced by matroska files. for instance, i've got an mkv file that references a few fonts that are not included in the xbmc install (they're listed in the ssa file i extracted from the mkv file as gothikka el+, bangle el+, and so forth), but i'm not sure how to configure xbmc to recognize and use them (assuming it's possible to do).

i checked the manual, but the subtitles section only covers where to put separate subtitle files, but not where to put fonts to use. looking through the manual for "fonts" just returns a couple of results having to do with skinning xbmc. i haven't been able to find anything via the search function forums either.

if anybody can help me out with this, i'd be very grateful.

- deltop - 2005-02-10

afaik it's not possible since mplayer does not support this feature. mplayer only has very basic ssa support.

- Kreeblah - 2005-02-10

hmmm. that's what i was afraid of. Sad

i guess i'll check to see whether the mplayer people have any plans to add support for it, then.

- Gamester17 - 2005-02-11

(kreeblah @ feb. 10 2005,19:05 Wrote:i guess i'll check to see whether the mplayer people have any plans to add support for it, then.
though it needs to be implemented into mplayer for xbmc to use it you're probebely better of requesting a feature patch (for mplayer) from the matroska developers :hmm:

- TiaoMacaleh - 2005-07-09

on srt tags <i>aaaaaaa</i> show as italics or show the <i> ? :nuts:

- Hullebulle - 2005-07-10

dunno if i did understand what you mean.
but in case you wanna know what will happen if you use the <i> tag... why don't you just try? Smile

ps: i think italic is not supported but i might be wrong.

- TiaoMacaleh - 2005-07-10

its cause im stil checking stuff to buy or not Smile

yup its that what i mean... my philips dvp show horribles <i>text</i> instead of text....

anyone know for sure how xbmc deal with that? is that possible to be implemented?

- jmarshall - 2005-07-10

everything is possible - it just needs someone with time and interest enough to do it.

and no, currently it doesn't handle it, but as you say, it probably isn't too hard to implement if someone wants to give it a go.

- StoneRoses - 2005-07-13

ssa format tag support might be better imho.

because srt does not design for any text formatting but ssa the format tag was included in its spec. and the dev can borrow the code from vobsub (project guliverkli)

ssa specs:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html

project guliverkli
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

- TiaoMacaleh - 2005-07-14

that whould be awesome... :bowdown:

subs ripped from dvd have lots of italics, on regular dvd players it looks horrible,

srt is more popular and easyer to edit the subs and probally to code too since it has only to add the <i> tag... ssa has lots of options

- Morien - 2005-07-14

hi,
would it be possible for advanced subtitle options to be implemented?
some of the newer, better done subtitles have styling implemented to suit the show/movie/etc. would it be possible to implement support for this into xbmc?
as is, xbmc ignores the special tags altogether (which is better than showing the code in the subtitle or not showing anything).

here are some screencaptures of both xbmc and media player classic (with directvobsub).

xbmc:

mpc:

and this is what that line looks like in notepad:
Quote:104
00:10:05,280 --> 00:10:08,680
103,0,normal,,0000,0000,0000,,we are not pals,\nwe are partners in fate!

(images hosted by imageshack)

thanks for your consideration
morien

- Gamester17 - 2005-09-07

fyi, it sounds as if robert ramiega <jedi at plukwa.net > is looking (or is going to look) into 'advanced' subtitle attributes for mplayer so you might want to contact him if you are a c/c++ programmer and you can (or want to try to) help him. ps! you might want to suggest to him that he looks at media player classic's subreader source code as it seems to support italics, bold, colors and font-styles, etc.