Kodi Community Forum
Asrock ION 330 HT question - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Asrock ION 330 HT question (/showthread.php?tid=70008)

Pages: 1 2 3

Asrock ION 330 HT question - t.smurf - 2010-02-09

Hi.

First of all, this is not a technical support question, only a general wondering.

I have a Asrock ION 330 HT-BD (Gen 2) with Ubuntu 9.10 Server/Minimal installation and XBMC, and it seems to have some big issues with gigalan.
I know there are other users that have this setup on the Asrock and I was wondering if any of you experience any issues with gigalan.

The problem only appears when the Asrock is connected to a gigalan switch/router, and when it is, I only get 2-300 kbytes/sec on my local network. Tried different types of switches/routers and OS (Ubuntu, Gentoo and Windows Vista), but they all gets the same results.
The only thing that works is a normal 100 mbit router (but no gigalan) and if I connect the Asrock directly to another computer (no switch/router).

Anybody else having these or similar problems? And again I'm not asking for a solution on the problem, only to see if anybody else have these problems. Smile

I'm awaiting a reply from Asrock on this issue.

BTW... Since it's my first post: Awesome mediacenter! Smile

- bleze - 2010-02-09

I have a Gigabit D-Link switch working fine with the same machine. But why do you need Gigabit anyways?
Some switches have problems with Gigabit - there used to be Jumbo frame problems

- t.smurf - 2010-02-10

Thanks for the quick answer.

And to answer your question... I guess I don't need gigabit, but still I bought a product that supports it and I want it to work. And my only wireless router is a gigabit router, so now I need one router and one switch just to get everything connected since my Asrock don't communicate properly with my gigabit router.

- Marvel - 2010-10-12

I'm having the exact same issue, I've been trying to troubleshoot it for hours with no luck. Well I can can get gigabit to work one way not the other. 718Mbit/s one way 217Kbits/s the other EekHuhAngry

- Kolabor - 2010-10-12

Interesting. I will test my Asrock 330 HT. There shouldn't be any problems with GbE.

- Kolabor - 2010-10-12

Tested. No problems at all. Tested with cat.5E cable and MikroTik RouterBOARD 450G as gigabit router.

- Marvel - 2010-10-12

I'm a bit jealous Tongue

Asrock ion330HT + Linksys WAG320N = really slow wan speeds 217 Kbytes and slow lan speeds 1 Mbytes.

I have 2 other pcs running through this router both are fine, one's running windows 64Bit and the other ubuntu 10.10 64Bit and they both achieve 1.2MB/s on wan and 35MB/s lan.

It's totally driving me insane, I've even had 712Mb/s coming from the asrock but 217Kb/s going to it, that's using iperf.

Now if I set to 100 Mb/s I get 98Mb/s both ways when using iperf

I'm stumped I dont know if it's a nic + router problem or damaged nic or what ?

I've tried different cat5e cables also

- Kolabor - 2010-10-13

Well... to be honest You've got fastthernet working good, so you really need gigabit for XBMC?

I'm selling network devices (wifi and wired) and I'm telling You - there could be hundreds of issues You may have. Really hard to guess what's wrong in your case.

- Marvel - 2010-10-13

Kolabor Wrote:Well... to be honest You've got fastthernet working good, so you really need gigabit for XBMC?

I'm selling network devices (wifi and wired) and I'm telling You - there could be hundreds of issues You may have. Really hard to guess what's wrong in your case.

Well kind of yeh, I've just spent £100 so I could have a gigabit network Big Grin

I haven't got my nas yet so I'm sending large files across the network, especially to my xbmc box. And what's to say when I get my nas there isn't the same issue.

The problem must be between the asrock and the router ? because both ubuntu and windows have the same problem. I'm just not sure where to take the issue to try and troubleshoot it? Linksys, Asrock, Os forum?

M.

- Kolabor - 2010-10-13

If you have checked different cables already, then we can assume that it is not the cable problem. Those cables were bought or you made them by yourself? If they are selfmade, maybe it is RJ-45 problem? Tried those cables with different device? What is the speed then?

Have you tried different ports on router? Maybe one of them is borked somehow? It happens sometimes.

When you try to test throughput with iperf other devices are "doing" something? I mean those devices connected to your router.

- Marvel - 2010-10-13

Hey

Yep I've tried different cables, the asrock sits at the end of a 20m cat5e. I didn't have any other cables that long so i brought the unit upstairs and tried
1. Brand new cat 5e - supplied with the router
2. A spare cat 5e

It can't be the 20m cable tho, because I can get gigabit speeds when using this cable one way Eek

Yep I've tried all 4 ports on the router

So if I set "iperf -s" on my main pc and then run the following command via the asrock "iperf -c 192.168.1.100" I see a result of 718Mbit/s. But if I do vice-versa I get a result of 217Kbit/s - 5Mbit/s Eek

I also have another desktop pc running ubuntu 10.10 and the wan and lan speeds are fine 1.2Mbyte/s wan and 35+Mbyte/s lan .

It's basically the incoming speeds to the asrock when the nic is set at 1000Mbit/s. wan speed is 200ishKbits/s lan 5ishMbit/s.

Any help or advice is very welcome Big Grin

M.

- Kolabor - 2010-10-13

Iperf is iperf. Try to test it a bit differently. Use SMB or FTP. Try to run FTP server on Asrock and download some big file (HD movie maybe) from its disk. You should be limited then to disk speed. If FTP is a problem then try SMB.

Edit: Strange, but looks like Atom CPU hasn'y got too much power to generate such big traffic. But two cores@1,6 GHz? Hmm… Test FTP/SMB and report.

- adgr - 2010-10-13

I just tested connections in all directions among an ASROCK ION 330 (not the HT with the wifi feature), 2 laptops and a DS209 Synology NAS all connected to a gigabit router with CAT5E cables using iperf.
In all cases around 80-85 Megabyte/s.

- Kolabor - 2010-10-13

Marvel: I just tested iperf. From my NAS-PC to my Asrock 330-HT I've got 278 Mbps and from my Asrock 330-HT to my NAS-PC there is 278 Mbps. So it's the same. I think that I could fine tune NICs settings to achieve better transfers.

Maybe You have some firewall running on your Asrock?

- Marvel - 2010-10-13

yep I've done a sftp from the asrock to my main pc and I achieve gigabit speeds.

When the switch is set to 1000Mbit/s my internet download speed is like dial up speed Confused

Nope no firewalls, I've had ubuntu 10.4 minimal ubuntu 10.10 minimal and windows 7 on there and the actual xbmclive disc install.

So why can the asrock nic and router peform at 100Mbit/s but it all goes tits up on 1000Mbit/s .

I need a serious network technician on this one LOL .

I'm going to try Asrock support and Linksys and see if they can help troubleshoot but I'm more than likely to get the usual, have you turned it on, did you plug your ethernet in Angry

M.