Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware (/showthread.php?tid=70068)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- furii - 2010-04-30

nbennett1970 Wrote:Hi Furii - thanks. That makes sense. I've re-run JumJums script and discovered that 720p works much better on my display that 1080p (amended xorg.conf to reflect this). Still getting quite a lot of stuttering (particulalrly on vertical pans such as the opening scene of 'Day after tomorrow', although not dropping frames any more as far as I can tell. I've uploaded my xorg.conf & xbmc debug files (with the advanced settings you suggested) - if you get a chance to have a look I'd appreciate it.

http://pastebin.com/L7fmpWxM - Xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/i57ZLCnG - xbmc.log

first, when posting debug logs, you need to make sure you have debug logging enabled. add the following to your advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<loglevel>1</loglevel>

secondly, i'm not a dev so looking at the logs doesn't really tell me much. that said you're going to get the judder on 24p material because your tv does not have a 24p mode and instead uses 60hz with a 3:2 pulldown method. there's no way around this as it is a hardware limitation. what you have now is the best you will get short of buying a new tv.

- derchris - 2010-05-02

stefano85 Wrote:sorry but is anyone here have the same problem as us? i've updated to lucid rc but it's the same thing. allow flipping with 24/23.976 hz films gets me stutter, it's that maybe related to the fact that xrandr can't handle non integer values? xbmc don't report frame drops, but that stutter is driving me almost crazy.

How bad is the stutter?

I followed the guide, and now have a 23/59 setting in xorg.conf.
I can see XBMC switching modes when it detects such a Video file.
However, I can also see stutter happening.
It is I would say every 3-4 sec., and can only be seen on slow parts of the movie. If there is a lot happening in the movie you don't recognize the stutter at all, but it is still there.
It is not taking away the movie watching experience, but is a little bit annoying.
What could cause this symptom.
Maybe one of the XBMC settings, i.e "A/V sync method"?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Christian

- Asswipe44 - 2010-05-04

you are the shit my friend! this is the first time i have been able to get 1080p to show up on my tv via xbmc and, by trusting your commendable bash script, it was as easy as copy and paste Smile

- godjuh - 2010-05-04

thank you for this script. works perfectly!

- justdoit - 2010-05-06

first post in a long time .. forgot i even had an account on here since xbox days. anyhow, i just picked up a aspire revo 1600 and using XBMC Live

quick question in regards to resolution. I have a samsung plasma 1080p and under settings, its showing it as "1920x1080 @ 50hz"

- is that the correct setting? shouldn't it be listed as 60hz?
- will doing the xorg.conf change allow me to select 60hz? what benefits would that give?

thanks!

- gekados - 2010-05-06

Hey.

Wanted to give this script a shot, but i'm getting a few errors while running it.
I'm running a jaunty xbmcbuntu install svn28*** something.
This it the output when i'm running the script :

Quote:xbmc@htpc:~/Downloads$ sh nvidia.sh
1/6 Backing up settings
2/6 Applying Xorg settings
3/6 Restarting Xorg to find available modes
$xbmc-live: unrecognized service

4/6 Adding 23.97Hz and 59.94Hz to xorg.conf

5/6 Applying NVIDIA settings

Attribute 'SyncToVBlank' (htpc:0.0) assigned value 1.

Attribute 'AllowFlipping' (htpc:0.0) assigned value 1.

Attribute 'FSAAAppControlled' (htpc:0.0) assigned value 1.

Attribute 'OpenGLImageSettings' (htpc:0.0) assigned value 3.

Attribute 'LogAniso' (htpc:0.0) assigned value 0.

Attribute 'GPUScaling' (htpc:0.0, display device: DFP-0) assigned value 1,1.

6/6 Applying XBMC settings
--- All done
xbmc@htpc:~/Downloads$

Any chance for a version to be used with an xbmcbuntu install ?

- JumJum - 2010-05-07

gekados Wrote:Hey.

Wanted to give this script a shot, but i'm getting a few errors while running it.
I'm running a jaunty xbmcbuntu install svn28*** something.
This it the output when i'm running the script :

Any chance for a version to be used with an xbmcbuntu install ?

Seems your install has neither gdm nor the xbmc-live startup script. How is Xorg started/stopped? All you need to do is replace the four "sudo service xbmc-live start/stop" lines with a command works on your setup.

- Marvel - 2010-05-07

ferry Wrote:How do I get the | symbol using a UK keyboard? It shows as a > symbol on the screen

Thanks

It's Shift + \ on mine mate

- neil.j1983 - 2010-05-10

hi,

i installed your script and it says it will choose 23.97 and 59.94 when i do the command which checks.

However, I get a single jerk every now and then. and sometimes a whole spate of them at once.

I'm going to try disabling "flipping" as some have reported success with that.

What I would like to know....is there a way to measure the refresh rate? i thought glxgears might but it runs at 1000ish fps.

apologies for the bold, it was to highlight my main question.

THanks.

Neil

- -FX-RIDER- - 2010-05-10

Hi,

thank you very much for this genius how-to (made it by hand) ... Worked like a charm for xbmcfreak LiveCD generic V4.

I'm just wondering about one point:
My TV (Pioneer 4280XA) can handle this mode:
"1920x1080_24_0" : 1920 x 1080 @ 23.97/24 Hz

When selecting a 24p movie, I can see switching due to a new hdcp synchronisation. But, XBMC gives me the info that the movie is running with 23.95-23.98Hz and the output is 24Hz. Why is the fps from the movie source changing and why doesn't xbmc switch the output to 23.97Hz?

- coupas - 2010-05-10

neil.j1983 Wrote:is there a way to measure the refresh rate?

"O"

- neil.j1983 - 2010-05-10

coupas Wrote:"O"

....thanks for the tip, but that definitely doesn't measure the refresh rate. it's rounded to the nearest integer.

I will look in the logs to see if it specifies it before rounding.

- justdoit - 2010-05-13

quick question in regards to refresh rate ...

I currently have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" check and able to get my tv to change to 24hz when playing a movie. I was curious as to what effect "sync playback to display" has. is it necessary to have that check also?

- bobo1on1 - 2010-05-13

neil.j1983 Wrote:....thanks for the tip, but that definitely doesn't measure the refresh rate. it's rounded to the nearest integer.

I will look in the logs to see if it specifies it before rounding.
Play a video, pause it, then press o and look at the fps, assuming vsync is on and the gpu is fast enough, the fps should be a reasonably good measurement.

justdoit Wrote:quick question in regards to refresh rate ...

I currently have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" check and able to get my tv to change to 24hz when playing a movie. I was curious as to what effect "sync playback to display" has. is it necessary to have that check also?

What that feature does is described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=336538

- justdoit - 2010-05-13

bobo1on1 Wrote:Play a video, pause it, then press o and look at the fps, assuming vsync is on and the gpu is fast enough, the fps should be a reasonably good measurement.

What that feature does is described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=336538

thanks!! mustve missed that when i search for adjust refresh rate Smile