Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Tomkun - 2011-12-22

OK, so that mystery is solved. I still can't work out why the videos won't play in the info view though.

In the meantime, I think it would be wise to work out with the skin makers where you would like the files to be; at the moment they are conflicting with each other and confusing things!

Please don't be downheartened. This is constructive criticism I hope. I love this script and think it has so much potential!

- malte - 2011-12-22

Tomkun Wrote:I still can't work out why the videos won't play in the info view though.
What happens when you navigate up/down after launching the info view? Ofc I will check if I can find the cause of this problem.

Tomkun Wrote:In the meantime, I think it would be wise to work out with the skin makers where you would like the files to be; at the moment they are conflicting with each other and confusing things!
I thought I already asked them to remove the files. I will check if I really did and maybe ask again. Thanks for the hint.

Tomkun Wrote:Please don't be downheartened. This is constructive criticism I hope.
Yes, it is. Always welcomeSmile

- Tomkun - 2011-12-23

malte Wrote:What happens when you navigate up/down after launching the info view? Ofc I will check if I can find the cause of this problem.

Yes, you are right; the video plays if I press up or down.

- altoiddealer - 2011-12-23

malte Wrote:Check if there have been changes to the file itself or if you have to set the execute permissions again.

Yep, that did it Tongue Thanks! I'm very happy with the new version~ previous versions sometimes displayed games for the wrong platform when scrolling through different platforms too quickly. That always bugged me... but so far appears to be fixed! Big Grin

- Dasko - 2011-12-23

Hey Guys,

Where do I download the games?

- Elviguiero - 2011-12-23

Dasko Wrote:Hey Guys,

Where do I download the games?

I'm not sure it's something to ask here, but google is your friend.
You can start with "abandonware" for ex, for old pc games.
But read the FAQ:
7. Don't discuss (or link to any) pirated, shared movies, music, pictures, retail software, etc!
8. Don't ask for or link to any illegal (or 'gray') copies of copyrighted materials in any form!
9. Don't ask how to get or copy/backup games, videos, music, (even if you own the original)!

- st graveyard - 2011-12-23

Hello all,

Malte, the import now works. I still think this could be a bit more user friendly, like we discussed during the weekend. Or maybe some better documenting at the wiki. The link to the parser when using the local scraper is confusing imho. But once you know how it works, it is all fairly simple. So thanks already for all the help.

Anyway, I have some more questions regarding screenshots. If you use the 4 small screenshots in the main view, I was wondering how you can add 4 in game screenshots there? I know you can configure the info view and the main view, that is not the problem. What I don't understand, when looking in this thread I see people who have 4 ingame shots in the main view, when going to the info screen, we have the box, cart, add ...

I know that in RCB you can add an screenshot, a title shot, an action shot ... But what if you want 4 screenshots? How do you do this. Does this mean you have to link you screenshots to other fields for example in game shot to action, another to box, another to title, another to cart? And than add these to the main view? But what if you have a cart and box shot, you are not able to add this anymore? You understand my question?

Also, if you have scraped all your game info, can you re-scrape for screenshots and other pictures without overwriting the existing nfo files?
Is there a way to scrape for more than one screenshot in XBMC? If not, where do you get your shots? I use emumovies, but they also only have screenshot and title? Anybody any tips?
Is it possible to configure the screenplacements of the shots per system? I don't think so?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a NOOB and want to fully understand and do the work right for the first time :-)

Thank you for your time ...

Cheers,
Grave

- malte - 2011-12-24

st graveyard Wrote:Anyway, I have some more questions regarding screenshots. If you use the 4 small screenshots in the main view, I was wondering how you can add 4 in game screenshots there? I know you can configure the info view and the main view, that is not the problem. What I don't understand, when looking in this thread I see people who have 4 ingame shots in the main view, when going to the info screen, we have the box, cart, add ...

I know that in RCB you can add an screenshot, a title shot, an action shot ... But what if you want 4 screenshots? How do you do this. Does this mean you have to link you screenshots to other fields for example in game shot to action, another to box, another to title, another to cart? And than add these to the main view? But what if you have a cart and box shot, you are not able to add this anymore? You understand my question?
It is possible but you need some handwork and tweaking of config.xml to achieve this.

1. Create subfolders for your additional screenshots (e.g. screen1, screen2, ...) and put your screenshots in there.
2. Add new FileType elements in config.xml FileTypes like this:
Code:
<FileTypes>
    <FileType id="15" name="screen1">
      <type>image</type>
      <parent>game</parent>
    </FileType>
    <FileType id="16" name="screen2">
      <type>image</type>
      <parent>game</parent>
    </FileType>
</FileTypes>
3. Use these new FileTypes in your ImagePlacing configuration.
4. Add the pathes to your new FileTypes via Edit Rom Collection Dialog or just add them via config.xml.

A complete example of such a modified config.xml could look like this: link (not tested, just edited it like I think it should work).

st graveyard Wrote:Also, if you have scraped all your game info, can you re-scrape for screenshots and other pictures without overwriting the existing nfo files?
Nfo files won't be overwritten once they exist. Also the info in database may not be updated if you set the update flag to false: Allow update.

st graveyard Wrote:Is there a way to scrape for more than one screenshot in XBMC? If not, where do you get your shots? I use emumovies, but they also only have screenshot and title? Anybody any tips?
No, atm this is not possible. I want to update this in future but this is not yet done. Sorry, no idea where to get them. Maybe somebody else can help.

st graveyard Wrote:Is it possible to configure the screenplacements of the shots per system? I don't think so?
Yes, the image placing options can be set per Rom Collection. You could also add more ImagePlacing configurations (e.g. one per Rom Collection) if you like.

Note: I know this image placing thing is not the way XBMC usually handles display of your artwork. But I think once you understood how to use it, it is a good way to let RCB show your artwork the way you like it. Without editing any skin files and (more important) this configuration will stay in your userdata folder and remains valid when you update your skin or RCB.

st graveyard Wrote:Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a NOOB and want to fully understand and do the work right for the first time :-)
Again, no problem. I like it much more if users come here and ask questions or give critique than that they just vanish and say RCB is so hard to use or does not work for them.

BTW: Merry christmas to all who celebrate it. All others just have a nice daySmile

- st graveyard - 2011-12-25

Hello Malte,

Thank you very much for all the info. This really is the power of RCB. Fantastic options. I will play around with these a bit. I'm still curious how people download more than 1 in game shot. If I don't find a way, I will stick with 1 image in main view.

I do have another question. In AEON MQ3 I'm not able to get the the sort options of RCB. When I press up or down, nothing happens. When I press left, I get the options of XBMC. I'm unable to access the sorting options of RCB. Is this skin related or is there another button to press to get in that menu?

- Elviguiero - 2011-12-25

@ St Graveyard:
you can access RCB sorting options in AEon MQ3 by choosing "filter" in the view options (when you press left or up, depending on your view).

- Domina - 2011-12-26

Hi Malte, I have done side by side coverflow in my skin and had begun the empirical coverflow mode and I took a project to games also do not know if it was the last add svn, but if it was possible in a future update to add support for 3 more types of images available to appear in the gallery, exemple such as red (classifcation, media and title)
title (I usually put just a logo for game), though I think your original idea is a screenshot of the game's title screen.
I ask because these inclusions would be beneficial for the RCB as a skinner would have more options and look at the confluence prórpia would be better, since with 3 icons the look is to asymmetrical, seems like something is missing.

Thanks!

- Elviguiero - 2011-12-26

@Domina, Malte:
Quick though regarding your request, Domina, and as i had the same "problem", here is what i've done to manage more pics without adding more extraimages:
you can use your nfo fields to match your needs.
ex: regarding the console logo, i wrote in my skin:
<texture>platform/$INFO[ListItem.Property(console)].png</texture>,
and in the media folder, created a folder "platform" with all consoles logos.
This can by use for various infos: controller, perspective, media, even companies logos can be done that way. The only restraint is that you have to exactly match the name in your nfo and in your media folder (can be difficult for game companies).
Using this, you'll only need a new tag in the nfo for age rating (i personnaly use rating for age rating and votes for game rating), and keep your extraimages for specific games pictures (like the logo).

- pingomister - 2011-12-26

Hello. Is the "filter" sub-screen the only way to browse the rom collection by console? Why doesn't RCB have at least a console browsing screen when the application is opened?

- Domina - 2011-12-26

Interesting "Elviguiero" I will try your tip, thanks!
But I think it would be better if this support come from the addon, because it forces me to edit all nfo one by one for each game, to put classification (parental rating).

- re5et - 2011-12-27

I am having trouble importing my mame collection. Every time I attempt to do so, I get the message "First 10 games could not be imported. Continue anyway?" Selecting "Yes" repeats the error. Some relevant excerpts from the log can be seen here. Trying to access any of the scraping URLs mentioned in the log results in a 404. Is the scraper just down or am I missing something?