Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- st graveyard - 2012-02-20

malte Wrote:I just updated the wiki page on scrapers. Maybe it gets a bit more clear now. Will check how to improve it in the addon anyway.

Thanks a lot for this...

- malte - 2012-02-20

st graveyard Wrote:Malte, I have some more questions. How do you switch the videos off? I've changed this parameter in the config.xml :
<fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>
No need to fiddle in config.xml for this. In Aeon MQ3 skin there is an option "video mode" that you can set to automatic, manual or off.

In Confluence skin you can use Edit Rom Collection dialog. On Browse games tab there is an option "Autoplay video".

st graveyard Wrote:The gameinfobig I understand, but the gameinfosmall (I guess this is the game details window in XBMC) I don't get in MQ3. Nothing seems to change here when I fiddle with the parameters. Do you perhaps have some bit of documentation based on the MQ3 view for this? (I know I'm asking a lot ) EDIT : I'll switch to confluence for this, it's more clear in there ...
You can also set these options via Edit Rom Collection dialog (in Confluence and Aeon MQ3). For me it has an effect in Aeon MQ3 when I switch between "Four small" and "One big" options for main window and info window. Maybe I can upload some screenshots tomorrow to show the difference.

- Tomkun - 2012-02-21

I just discovered MQ3. Finally a skin that lets me have the same view for Movies, TV shows, Music and Games!

One thing though, is it possible to get the movies playing in the info window? I've not managed it.

- malte - 2012-02-21

st graveyard Wrote:Do you mean the nr of seconds it takes for the info panel to pop up? I've switched this off but it does not solve the delay
I have Video Mode set to "Automatic" and Mode in Information Panel set to "Show always". This works fine for me. Again, there is always a short delay before a video is started but it should always start audio and video synchronously.

Tomkun Wrote:One thing though, is it possible to get the movies playing in the info window? I've not managed it.
There is a "Play video" button. I guess there is no way to autostart video in Info window.

- st graveyard - 2012-02-21

Thanks for the info Malte. I will test more this evening.

I've managed to set up the art in my info screen just the way I want it and it is looking amazing. Only the async in the videos, that is something that I still like to try and solve.

I will now start looking through the collection, there are still games that have no info from the scraping. So this is where single game scraping functions come in handy. But I read that Angelscry has made the nfo files of ALA compatible with RCB. That might be a temporary solution for my problem ;-)

Cheers

- st graveyard - 2012-02-21

Hello Malte,

Sorry If I have asked this before, but I'm now browsing through the collection. It's looking awesome :-)
However, as mentioned above, I have some games for which an nfo file is created, but this nfo file contains no info (just xml tags).
For example, I have the game "Aladdin". It has its own empty nfo file, a video and some art. The game sits nicely in the collection and all art and the video is linked to it in XBMC, but ofcourse it has no info. Now, is there currenly a way I can use RCB to do a re-scrape without damaging my current collection or nfo files? I would like to fill the nfo file (I can't imagin there is no info for such a famous game).

Any tips are welcome ...

Oh, I also tested some more with the options in the MQ3 skin. I have set it up exactly like you have, but my videos still have serious lag. The sound plays way ahead of the video and after awhile the video plays in fast forward to keep up with the sound :-)
But don't worry, I will find this eventually ...

Thanks for your time,
Grave

- malte - 2012-02-23

st graveyard Wrote:However, as mentioned above, I have some games for which an nfo file is created, but this nfo file contains no info (just xml tags).
For example, I have the game "Aladdin". It has its own empty nfo file, a video and some art. The game sits nicely in the collection and all art and the video is linked to it in XBMC, but ofcourse it has no info. Now, is there currenly a way I can use RCB to do a re-scrape without damaging my current collection or nfo files? I would like to fill the nfo file (I can't imagin there is no info for such a famous game).
One (very unhandy) way would be to use the file mask. Instead of *.zip or whatever you can enter full rom names here. RCB will only update this one rom. If you have mouse and keyboard next to your htpc it may be easier to do this directly in config.xml.

Rescraping single games should be one of my next tasks I guess. But not sure when it will be done. I am still not sure if I can make it a single task or as part of bigger changes to database layout and import mechanism...

- st graveyard - 2012-02-23

malte Wrote:One (very unhandy) way would be to use the file mask. Instead of *.zip or whatever you can enter full rom names here. RCB will only update this one rom. If you have mouse and keyboard next to your htpc it may be easier to do this directly in config.xml.

Rescraping single games should be one of my next tasks I guess. But not sure when it will be done. I am still not sure if I can make it a single task or as part of bigger changes to database layout and import mechanism...

This is a very good tip Malte! Thank you, I will test this. Can't wait for the new updates, but take your time with it ;-)

Malte, another thing I was thinking about. In MQ3 in the movie section you can watch trailers. I have beautiful 1080P trailers linked to the movies. They can be played full screen or in window. These things play without stutter. Silky smooth. This got me thinking. Why does a 1080p trailer play so good, and a little windowed game video clip so bad? So I was wondering, the technique you used to play the vids in RCB, is that the same as the one used for playing trailers in the movie section of XBMC? If not, wouldn't it be possible to rip this technique and implement it in RCB for better performance?
Are there other users out there who have slow playing video game clips in RCB?

- Tomkun - 2012-02-24

Probably not what you want to hear, but my videos all play fine. Do you have a huge database perhaps? Like thousands of entries?

- malte - 2012-02-24

st graveyard Wrote:Malte, another thing I was thinking about. In MQ3 in the movie section you can watch trailers. I have beautiful 1080P trailers linked to the movies. They can be played full screen or in window. These things play without stutter. Silky smooth. This got me thinking. Why does a 1080p trailer play so good, and a little windowed game video clip so bad? So I was wondering, the technique you used to play the vids in RCB, is that the same as the one used for playing trailers in the movie section of XBMC? If not, wouldn't it be possible to rip this technique and implement it in RCB for better performance?
I guess it is the same technique that is used to play the videos. There is just a python wrapper available for scripts but I would think it is the same player core that is used to play the videos.

Can you try to add some of your game videos as source to XBMC and play them with the native player technique?

And, what happens if you play the videos in RCB in fullscreen? Press "Play" or space bar to do this.

- st graveyard - 2012-02-24

malte Wrote:I guess it is the same technique that is used to play the videos. There is just a python wrapper available for scripts but I would think it is the same player core that is used to play the videos.

Can you try to add some of your game videos as source to XBMC and play them with the native player technique?

And, what happens if you play the videos in RCB in fullscreen? Press "Play" or space bar to do this.

Ok, I will test this and let you know. Thanks.

I'm also using now the filemask to scrape single games. This seems to be a good way, now I find the game, but it is not added to the DB or a file is created Huh I will expirement some more and let you know.

Tomkun, my DB contains currently 781 games linked to their videos.

X Server Standalone - Finn10111 - 2012-02-24

Hello everyone,

first thanks for the good work. I used RCB the last time about a year ago with a normal Ubuntu.

Now my HTPC runs Arch Linux and only the X Server and XBMC. I start XBMC automatically via .xinitrc:

Code:
exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -fs

If I replace the line with "exec /usr/bin/uae" it starts.
But If I try to launch the emulator via RCB there is a little text saying "Launch Game xxx" but it disappears after less than a second and nothing happens.

I have looked into the xbmc.log and pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/kU4CAn1S

The interesting lines seem to be:

Code:
15:51:39 T:140096858744576  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launch emu
15:51:39 T:140096858744576  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launch emu done
15:51:39 T:140096858744576  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: End launcher.launchEmu
15:51:39 T:140096858744576  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: End launchEmu

There seem to be a problem launching uae, possible it is because of the X Server standalone installation?

I am glad for every kind of help, thank you!

- malte - 2012-02-24

@Finn10111:

2 ideas:
1. Try to disable Escape emulator cmd.
2. The rom is named "1942 (19xx)(Palace-P. Hodges)(PD)[SEUCK].adf". There have been some problems with [] in rom names in the past. I am not sure if they are all solved on all platforms. You could try another game or rename the rom file as a test (you need to reimport it then)

- st graveyard - 2012-02-24

malte Wrote:One (very unhandy) way would be to use the file mask. Instead of *.zip or whatever you can enter full rom names here. RCB will only update this one rom. If you have mouse and keyboard next to your htpc it may be easier to do this directly in config.xml.

Malte, I'm gonna sound like a complete NOOB ... again ...

I've set the mask to aladdin*.* . When scraping using the select method, I now understand why it was not scraped, the game is called 'Disney's Aladdin'. When I select the entry the info is downloaded but it is not added to the DB, there is no nfo file created (I removed the empty nfo file).
When I remove the game from the DB and do a re-scrape using the mobygames scraper, the game is found, but not added to the DB. Really weird. When the game is deleted from the DB, the total count of games stays at 781.
When I do a re-scrape using the Genesis collection scraper, the game is added again, without nfo of course. Then doing a re-scrape using the moby game scraper, the entry is found at mobygames, but now the info is not added to the DB AND the game is removed.

I don't understand a thing of this behaviour ... Any ideas?

EDIT : OH MY GOD, I'm such a stupid head ... the game is offcourse at 'D' ... Disney's Aladdin ...Conclusion , Malte the mask technique works perfectly. THANKS.

- malte - 2012-02-25

Great! That will give me some time to implement a real rescrape optionSmile