Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-07-25

Sorry, no. I did not have the time to check this.

But I just read a bit through this thread and it seems that they are not really happy with people implementing robots that scrape their site. Anyway, when I will have more time again I will ask for permission. Maybe it is possible with some bandwidth limitation or something similar...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - rantanplan - 2012-07-25

Hello. I'm just starting with rcb and have one question:

I'm trying to add a rom collection for snes and i have zip roms named something like "rom name x [spa].zip" and "rom name x [usa].zip". They are the same game but different region or language. When I added them to the rcb, the program only add one game with the name "rom name x" using the first rom (rom name x [spa].zip), making imposible to add (and launch) the game "rom name x [usa].zip".
Is there a way to make this posible?
Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-07-25

(2012-07-25, 18:47)rantanplan Wrote: Hello. I'm just starting with rcb and have one question:

I'm trying to add a rom collection for snes and i have zip roms named something like "rom name x [spa].zip" and "rom name x [usa].zip". They are the same game but different region or language. When I added them to the rcb, the program only add one game with the name "rom name x" using the first rom (rom name x [spa].zip), making imposible to add (and launch) the game "rom name x [usa].zip".
Is there a way to make this posible?
Thanks.

The best way I found to be able to choose between different versions of the same game was zip them in a single file. RCB will ask which file/version you want to play each time you start the game.
You may take a look in programs like GoodTools and GoodMerge to make some management of your games like renaming, merge, etc

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Not Sure - 2012-07-25

(2012-07-25, 21:30)Maleficium Wrote: The best way I found to be able to choose between different versions of the same game was zip them in a single file. RCB will ask which file/version you want to play each time you start the game.
You may take a look in programs like GoodTools and GoodMerge to make some management of your games like renaming, merge, etc

This would be hell to maintain, since DAT files aren't built for it. There are also plenty of situations in which a person may want same name variants in their collection (multiple translations, hacks, region differences etc.)

While I understand that changing how RCB uniquely identifies ROMs is a major undertaking and not likely to happen, I am still hoping for a log of these "same name exclusions" during import so that I can easily determine which games I need to edit the NFO files of. Lack of this is basically the only thing holding me back from using RCB at this point.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Sgt.Stedenko - 2012-07-25

(2012-07-25, 17:45)malte Wrote: Sorry, no. I did not have the time to check this.

But I just read a bit through this thread and it seems that they are not really happy with people implementing robots that scrape their site. Anyway, when I will have more time again I will ask for permission. Maybe it is possible with some bandwidth limitation or something similar...

Thanks for the reply!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Greg. - 2012-07-26

ok what am i overlooking, have read the wiki which seems outa date. am using 1.50 and eden service pack, unsure where to put mame synopsis files or where in config i point to them. i have over 5000 roms, gameboy,gba, genesis,
neopocket, nintendo 64, and majority are mame, whenever i import any game i get the 'cannot import first 10 games' error

http://pastebin.com/tjcVPLd2 for xbmc log.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-07-26

Not Sure Wrote:While I understand that changing how RCB uniquely identifies ROMs is a major undertaking and not likely to happen, I am still hoping for a log of these "same name exclusions" during import so that I can easily determine which games I need to edit the NFO files of. Lack of this is basically the only thing holding me back from using RCB at this point.
This feature is on my list but as you say it will not be easy to implement and my time is very short these days.

Greg. Wrote:have read the wiki which seems outa date
It is up to date with current version in repo which is 0.9.9. At least it should be. If there are issues with the wiki or things that are not understandable please notify me. I handle these as bugs, too.

Greg. Wrote:am using 1.50 and eden service pack, unsure where to put mame synopsis files or where in config i point to them. i have over 5000 roms, gameboy,gba, genesis,
neopocket, nintendo 64, and majority are mame, whenever i import any game i get the 'cannot import first 10 games' error

Can you please upload your config.xml to pastebin? There seems to be an error in your configuration. It seems to associate jpg files with your game description. Additionally this configuration seems to show a bug in RCB that I would like to fix.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - perkins.jt - 2012-07-26

Spun off from the Aeon Nox thread. I removed all the unrelated parts.
perkins.jt Wrote:
(2012-07-23, 05:26)Greg. Wrote:
(2012-07-20, 05:37)perkins.jt Wrote: Not an Aeon Nox issue, but is it normal for RCB to load every single game in a category before I can resume browsing? With 3000+ games, it makes maneuvering pretty cumbersome.

do you have the 'always rescan imported games' under 'import games' under rcb configuration, from system addons on?
I'm assuming this is in response to the last part of my post. I do not have this setting enabled. I don't believe anything is being rescraped, but it seems like the entire collection of games has to be loaded into memory before I can continue. For example, if I left the filter on NES, I would have to wait maybe 20 seconds for all 576 games to load before I can navigate between those games. This process has to be repeated any time I change any filters. What I was expecting was for the first ~10 games to load, then when I move up/down/left/right, the addon would then load and show those next few games, and so on. My (maybe incorrect) understanding was that the caching option CACHEITEM would solve this, but it does not. Is this behavior normal?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-07-26

perkins.jt Wrote:This process has to be repeated any time I change any filters. What I was expecting was for the first ~10 games to load, then when I move up/down/left/right, the addon would then load and show those next few games, and so on. My (maybe incorrect) understanding was that the caching option CACHEITEM would solve this, but it does not. Is this behavior normal?
Yes, caching option CACHEITEM or CACHEITEMANDNEXT should do what you are looking for. RCB is not loading all data of the list into memory but it has to fill the complete list with names and artwork urls. This is what takes some time depending on the number of games. In earlier versions of XBMC this was a bit nicer as RCB could lock the UI while filling the list. I think this was (or felt) a bit faster than the current way where you see it adding all games separately.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - perkins.jt - 2012-07-26

(2012-07-26, 19:23)malte Wrote:
perkins.jt Wrote:This process has to be repeated any time I change any filters. What I was expecting was for the first ~10 games to load, then when I move up/down/left/right, the addon would then load and show those next few games, and so on. My (maybe incorrect) understanding was that the caching option CACHEITEM would solve this, but it does not. Is this behavior normal?
Yes, caching option CACHEITEM or CACHEITEMANDNEXT should do what you are looking for. RCB is not loading all data of the list into memory but it has to fill the complete list with names and artwork urls. This is what takes some time depending on the number of games. In earlier versions of XBMC this was a bit nicer as RCB could lock the UI while filling the list. I think this was (or felt) a bit faster than the current way where you see it adding all games separately.
So there's nothing I can do but wait, it seems. Thanks for the response.

There are some hints to improve performance here. Also you can post an xbmc.log file after you loaded RCB and changed some filter settings. Maybe I see something that decreases performance more than on other systems.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Greg. - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-26, 12:46)malte Wrote:
Not Sure Wrote:While I understand that changing how RCB uniquely identifies ROMs is a major undertaking and not likely to happen, I am still hoping for a log of these "same name exclusions" during import so that I can easily determine which games I need to edit the NFO files of. Lack of this is basically the only thing holding me back from using RCB at this point.
This feature is on my list but as you say it will not be easy to implement and my time is very short these days.

Greg. Wrote:have read the wiki which seems outa date
It is up to date with current version in repo which is 0.9.9. At least it should be. If there are issues with the wiki or things that are not understandable please notify me. I handle these as bugs, too.

Greg. Wrote:am using 1.50 and eden service pack, unsure where to put mame synopsis files or where in config i point to them. i have over 5000 roms, gameboy,gba, genesis,

Can you please upload your config.xml to pastebin? There seems to be an error in your configuration. It seems to associate jpg files with your game description. Additionally this configuration seems to show a bug in RCB that I would like to fix.
http://pastebin.com/1CGw3tPm, aside from your inkling does mame.txt and parserconfig.xml have to be in path do they?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-07-27

MAME.txt and parserconfig.xml must be stored somewhere on your PC. Then open "Edit offline scraper" dialog and select the MAME scraper. Select "Path game desc" and browse to MAME.txt, then select "Parseinstruction" and browse to "parserconfig.xml". That should do the trick. Same with Genesis if you have description and instruction for Genesis games, too.

You will find more info about configuring offline scrapers here.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Greg. - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-27, 07:01)malte Wrote: MAME.txt and parserconfig.xml must be stored somewhere on your PC. Then open "Edit offline scraper" dialog and select the MAME scraper. Select "Path game desc" and browse to MAME.txt, then select "Parseinstruction" and browse to "parserconfig.xml". That should do the trick. Same with Genesis if you have description and instruction for Genesis games, too.

You will find more info about configuring offline scrapers here.
oh i c now, appears to be importing now, that is not clear on the wiki, that statement is and should be, imho, included in the wiki, as these things use to be my bread and butter b4 my stroke, im certainly note thick, but had major probs with these 2 files. thanks for your help and rcb malte.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-07-27

Hey Malte,

I have a question regarding pub/dev logo's. I'm currently testing MQ4 and I have installed the extra pack which also contains a game logo pack for RCB. However, nothing is to be seen on screen. I asked Marcos and he tells me this is RCB specific. Is this true? How do you install an game icon pack in RCB? I just can't seem to figure this one out Sad

Thanks,
Grave

PS : any plans on adding thecoverproject.net scraper support? ;-)