Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-08-31

Is there a way to open directly to RCB? I have been trying autoexec.py but have not had any luck. I looked into the documentation regarding the "service" but it doesn't give a clear example of how to start an add-on using services.

Thanks,
JOe K.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-08-31

Also, another thing I noticed is that with Aeon Nox 3.5 the filter names don't appear in the side bar. So when I go to change consoles it's a little unclear of what filter I'm using because they are unlabeled. I know the top is console but it took me a while to figure it out.

Still no luch with the autoexec.py file. Opening directly to the emulators would be awesome.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dkplayaclub - 2012-09-01

Sorry if I missed something, but a little searching around hasn't got me the answer I need. How exactly do I get my standalone windows games to show up? Tried a few things but like I said, I must be missing something and searching hasn't come up with much yet.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-09-01

I found my issue. Two things:

1) the autoexec.py needs to be in the %appdata%\XBMC\userdata folder not just the %appdata%\XBMC\ folder

2) This script xbmc.executescript('C:\Users\allnightpwny\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.gam​​es.rom.collection.browser\default.py') is okay EXCEPT the backslash "\" small "a" is an escape sequence. I needed to add extra slashes to get it interpreted properly xbmc.executescript('C:\Users\\allnightpwny\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\default.py')

Now it's working perfect!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dkplayaclub - 2012-09-02

OK. I figured out how to get my PC games working. It was just an error in my settings. Now when I scan the games XBMC finds fanart for each game, but when I display them in showcase, there are no thumbnails (cover art). How can I add these manually?

UPDATE : Tried adding a .jpg in each of the folders created for artwork for all my emulator games, but none of them showed up in XBMC. Also, where is the option to show only games of one type?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-09-02

Hey malte,

Any chance to have a scrapper for GameFAQ in the next releases ? Most of the titles published only for the japanese market can't be found with the current scrapers (at least for SNES, NES, Genesis) and image files either (even with EmuMovies). GameFAQ have the biggest covers database (sometimes not the best quality) that I know.

Another good option its the capacity to place the Articles ("The", "A") at the end of the filename.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-09-03

Avatarass Wrote:Well, I am pretty sure what you did in 1.0.5 version works only on Windows. In order to make it work on Linux machine I had to change it to:

proc=subprocess.Popen([cmd], shell=True)
proc.communicate()
Ok, I was quite sure this would work the same on Linux as on Windows but I could not test it myself. Sorry, but I also don't have an idea why the multitask code doesn't work.

tjcinnamon Wrote:Also, another thing I noticed is that with Aeon Nox 3.5 the filter names don't appear in the side bar. So when I go to change consoles it's a little unclear of what filter I'm using because they are unlabeled. I know the top is console but it took me a while to figure it out.
This is skin related. I don't have any influence on how the skins for RCB are built by their maintainers. Maybe you can ask this question in the Aeon Nox section of the forum.

dkplayaclub Wrote:OK. I figured out how to get my PC games working. It was just an error in my settings. Now when I scan the games XBMC finds fanart for each game, but when I display them in showcase, there are no thumbnails (cover art). How can I add these manually?

UPDATE : Tried adding a .jpg in each of the folders created for artwork for all my emulator games, but none of them showed up in XBMC. Also, where is the option to show only games of one type?
Sorry, I don't really understand the issue. An xbmc.log file may help to understand better.

Maleficium Wrote:Any chance to have a scrapper for GameFAQ in the next releases ? Most of the titles published only for the japanese market can't be found with the current scrapers (at least for SNES, NES, Genesis) and image files either (even with EmuMovies). GameFAQ have the biggest covers database (sometimes not the best quality) that I know.
I won't add a scraper for GameFAQ. They explicitly forbid you scraping in their terms of use unless you ask and they allow it. I did ask some months ago but they did not answer (so they did not allow me scraping their site).

Maleficium Wrote:Another good option its the capacity to place the Articles ("The", "A") at the end of the filename.
Yes, this will be a valid point for my todo list. But I did not find any time in the last weeks to change one line of code in RCB so I am afraid you will have to wait some time until I can add this feature.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-09-03

(2012-09-03, 16:49)malte Wrote: I won't add a scraper for GameFAQ. They explicitly forbid you scraping in their terms of use unless you ask and they allow it. I did ask some months ago but they did not answer (so they did not allow me scraping their site).

RCB is THE game plugin for XBMC: THE cross-platform mediacenter. Maybe you should ask again.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-09-04

Indeed, a gamfaq scraper would be cool, I currently download all art manually from that site. A lot of work ;-)

Just a feeler : Info and artwork packs for RCB rom collections - st graveyard - 2012-09-04

Hello all,

I don't want to mess up this thread, but I don't know where else to post.

I have an idea to create some kind of nfo/artwork packs for rom collections in RCB. I know that most of you think this is already available @ hyperspin and this is partly true.

Currently I have completed the Genesis collection based on the hyperspin dat file. I have the following artwork :

3D box (from hyperspin)
2D box front (the highest quality I could find on the net, mostly from thecoverproject)
2D box back (the highest quality I could find on the net, mostly from thecoverproject)
Titlescreen (From emumovies or created myself)
Action screenshot (From emumovies or created myself)
3D cart (from hyperspin)
Logo (from hyperspin - maybe Malte will implement game logo's one day in RCB ;-) )
preview movie (from emumovies)
nfo file for each game (scraped using RCB)

Now, I know the preview movie I can not share, so I won't (you have to be a member of emumovies), but all the other art is freely available on the net (and from the hyperspin website).
Why did I do this (and not just use the artwork from hyperspin?). Because the 2D artwork overthere is small and low res and there is no backside scan of the box.

So in conclusion, in RCB I have linked 3D box on the main screen together with the preview movie. In the infopanel I have the 2D front and back scan, and the title and action shot. This looks really cool.

This way of working seems to me the best way for local scraping, all data, including info files is there...

As I stated, my Genesis collection is complete and I am missing only about 15 backscans, that's it. For all 781 games I have all artwork. I'm now working my way through the SNES collection, which is harder. But I already have all artwork for snes from thecoverproject cropped and linked.

Is there any interest out there? I would gladly share the work. If there are people out there who like to help out, let me know ... It is just stupid if we would do the same work :-)

RE: Just a feeler : Info and artwork packs for RCB rom collections - sudopinion - 2012-09-04

(2012-09-04, 09:22)st graveyard Wrote: Hello all,

I don't want to mess up this thread, but I don't know where else to post.

I have an idea to create some kind of nfo/artwork packs for rom collections in RCB. I know that most of you think this is already available @ hyperspin and this is partly true.

Currently I have completed the Genesis collection based on the hyperspin dat file. I have the following artwork :

3D box (from hyperspin)
2D box front (the highest quality I could find on the net, mostly from thecoverproject)
2D box back (the highest quality I could find on the net, mostly from thecoverproject)
Titlescreen (From emumovies or created myself)
Action screenshot (From emumovies or created myself)
3D cart (from hyperspin)
Logo (from hyperspin - maybe Malte will implement game logo's one day in RCB ;-) )
preview movie (from emumovies)
nfo file for each game (scraped using RCB)

Now, I know the preview movie I can not share, so I won't (you have to be a member of emumovies), but all the other art is freely available on the net (and from the hyperspin website).
Why did I do this (and not just use the artwork from hyperspin?). Because the 2D artwork overthere is small and low res and there is no backside scan of the box.

So in conclusion, in RCB I have linked 3D box on the main screen together with the preview movie. In the infopanel I have the 2D front and back scan, and the title and action shot. This looks really cool.

This way of working seems to me the best way for local scraping, all data, including info files is there...

As I stated, my Genesis collection is complete and I am missing only about 15 backscans, that's it. For all 781 games I have all artwork. I'm now working my way through the SNES collection, which is harder. But I already have all artwork for snes from thecoverproject cropped and linked.

Is there any interest out there? I would gladly share the work. If there are people out there who like to help out, let me know ... It is just stupid if we would do the same work :-)

LOL: "I can't share the preview movie" Circo thinks he owns those for some reason....like he licenses any of that media....what a douche.

Whatever man. I've got a small repo I'm building here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/413403/meta.html

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-09-04

Hi Sud,

Thanks for the reaction. For the record, I agree with you regarding the licenses things and all ... I understand making these previews takes a lot of time and effort, but I would never ask money for them. I have spent countless of hours/days/months coding www.atarilegend.com in the days. Never asked a dime of course.
I am however a member of emumovies, because, well ... I really wanted those preview movies ... :-)

Anyway, I just don't want to step on anyones toes, that is all ...

I will check out your link this evening (it is blocked overhere at work) ...

cheers,
Grave

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-09-04

Thanks by the offer st graveyard, unfortunately for me, my collections are based in the No-Intro datas so the name games sometimes don't match.

I left you a PM just to share an idea with you about what I'm doing to fill the missing data in my collections.

Maleficium,

The hyperspin dats are based on No-Intro ... The doubles are left out. So with a simple rename program in WIN (fuzzy rename), we are able to help eachother ;-)

I just need a place to upload my work ...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dkplayaclub - 2012-09-04

dkplayaclub Wrote:OK. I figured out how to get my PC games working. It was just an error in my settings. Now when I scan the games XBMC finds fanart for each game, but when I display them in showcase, there are no thumbnails (cover art). How can I add these manually?

Sorry if this was not very clear. Here is a screenshot of what I'm dealing with :

I like to view my games in "shift", as you can see. The icons across the bottom always show up as clear boxes. My question is how can I add artwork manually for these?