Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-27

Sorry, I am on a trip right now. But looping issue is fixed on my dev machine. Will provide a new release soon.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Sawn - 2012-11-28

(2012-11-26, 09:25)e2zippo Wrote: And a suggestion, when changing consoles, it would be nice if you'd have to press enter to really change from one console to another. As it is now, one collection starts loading as soon as you scroll to it, and I have some really large collections.

For instance, I want to change from NES to N64, and in between lies GBA and SNES, and when I scroll to N64 both GBA and SNES loads as well, maybe not the whole collection if I'm fast enough, but still.

And since RCB has a way of hanging when switching fast between collections it's not really a good solution.

Cheers!

Agreed. Would seem more logical to me and may even avoid some issues as well Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-28

New test version available: 1.0.9

List of changes:

Browse Games:
  • bugfix: MostPlayedRoms-widget in Aeon Nox caused RCB-loop on startup

Just a quick fix for the latest issues with the new Aeon Nox widget.

Previous version: 1.0.8

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - reverendj1 - 2012-11-29

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've looked all over this massive thread (and the documentation) and didn't see anything about it. Since no one else has asked (that I have found), I'm guessing I must be missing something stupid. Is there any way to have it sort the titles without "The", like XBMC does for movies/TV shows? I have a bunch of games listed as "The so and so game", and it makes it really hard to browse. I have the appropriate sorttokens value set in my advancedsettings.xml. Is there something I'm missing here, or that I need to do on the RCB side? Not sure if it matters, but I am using the Metropolis skin, with RCB set to Confluence.

To make myself crystal clear and not cause anyone to waste time, this is what I have listed when browsing games:

A Boy and His Blob
Battletoads
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Super Mario Bros
The Legend of Zelda
The Simpsons Bart vs the Space Mutants

And this is what it should look like:

Battletoads
A Boy and His Blob
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
The Legend of Zelda
The Simpsons Bart vs the Space Mutants
Super Mario Bros

Also, thanks for the excellent plugin Malte!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-30

jalia43 Wrote:I've tried to do that by going to the file manager and added a new source. I then added both the top directory to my emulators. Two levels up from where the ROMs are. I've also tried to add the whole hard drive as a source. This still does nothing to my problem

Could it be that since I'm running this on the RPi and the ROMs are on a hard disk on another machine running Windows 7?
I don't really understand. You say that you added your hard drive but your roms are on another PC? Then you must access them via network (nfs or smb). Did you add these locations as network sources to your XBMC file manager?

e2zippo Wrote:And a suggestion, when changing consoles, it would be nice if you'd have to press enter to really change from one console to another. As it is now, one collection starts loading as soon as you scroll to it, and I have some really large collections.

For instance, I want to change from NES to N64, and in between lies GBA and SNES, and when I scroll to N64 both GBA and SNES loads as well, maybe not the whole collection if I'm fast enough, but still.

And since RCB has a way of hanging when switching fast between collections it's not really a good solution.
Yes, I thought about that. Will be done in one of the next releases.

negge Wrote:I've never coded with Python myself so I don't really know how to fix it, although I guess launcher.py needs to be modified (perhaps the method mentioned at StackOverflow only needs to be used if the OS is UNIX-like).

What are your thoughts on this?
Sorry, I did not yet have the time to look at this in detail. I will check this but first want to finish some latest changes to get a new repo version done.

reverendj1 Wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've looked all over this massive thread (and the documentation) and didn't see anything about it. Since no one else has asked (that I have found), I'm guessing I must be missing something stupid. Is there any way to have it sort the titles without "The", like XBMC does for movies/TV shows?
I guess you are really the first on who requested this. I am not sure if this is something that I have to do in the script or if this is a XBMC/skinning thing. Will add this to my list and check it.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - reverendj1 - 2012-11-30

@malte, thanks! I'm surprised this didn't bug anyone else. :-)

One more thing which may help you. When I was scraping yesterday, I noticed that RCB would hang when downloading artwork from thegamesdb.net. When it would do this (every 5-10 minutes), it would wait and wait and wait, until it finally timed out, which could be up to 20 minutes or more! I was actually not sitting in front of my PC, but just checking the logs via SSH, and commented out the dialog pop-up when it fails to download a file. I peeked at your code, and I didn't see where you set the socket timeout was set, i.e.

import socket
socket.setdefaulttimeout(60)

So, I went ahead and added it in the script, but it still wasn't timing out. Turns out that there is a bug with urllib when it receives a response, but it doesn't receive the headers. It thinks the connection is active until it gets the headers, and finally decides to really timeout after like 20 minutes or so. At any rate, you may want to try and switch to using urllib2 (http://docs.python.org/2/library/urllib2.html) if possible, as it does provide a built-in timeout, and I don't think it has this issue. I'll try and cobble it together when I get home tonight and try scraping another collection and see if it makes a difference.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kyrios2021 - 2012-12-01

Hey guys,

I love the add-on, but it seems to be crashing on me with Aeon MQ4. Not sure if its the add-on or the skin but i have a snipit of the crash log

Code:
DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
12:53:45 T:3932   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (C:\Users\XMBC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.aeonmq.4\720p\script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml) ------
12:53:45 T:3932    INFO: Loading skin file: C:\Users\XMBC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.aeonmq.4\720p\script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml, load type: LOAD_ON_GUI_INIT
12:53:45 T:3932   DEBUG: LocalizeStrings: no strings.po file exist at C:\Users\XMBC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\language\english, fallback to strings.xml
12:53:45 T:3932 WARNING: Trying to add unsupported control type 1
12:53:46 T:3932 WARNING: Previous line repeats 3 times.
12:53:46 T:3932   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory ()
12:53:46 T:3932   DEBUG:   ParentPath = []
12:53:46 T:3676  NOTICE: RCB_DEBUG: onFocus: 50
12:53:46 T:1100   DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0xb514ef0
12:53:46 T:3676  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Begin onInit
12:53:46 T:3932   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating PlayerControl(stop)
12:53:46 T:3932   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To PlayerControl(stop)
12:53:46 T:3932   ERROR: m_pD3DDevice->BeginScene() failed. 8876086C - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL (Invalid call)
12:53:46 T:2176   ERROR: Previous line repeats 4 times.
12:53:46 T:2176   DEBUG: Recaching image 'http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/plugin.video.nolife/icon.png' to 'b/b679283b.png':
12:53:46 T:2176   DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/b/b679283b.png' size 256x256
12:53:46 T:3932   ERROR: CApplication::FrameMove(), too many exceptions

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Stildawn - 2012-12-02

Could someone walk me through getting this to work? I have tried a few things including copying the first use video exactly.

When I copied the video, I got to the importing part and afterwards it only imported Simcity haha. But when click on simcity a window quickly appeared and disappeared but nothing else happened. The only thing I did different to the video was that my emulator is different

I read a part about the importing problems but all the roms I tried are zips and I used the correct file mask.

I also read that I need the command line or something for the emulators, how would I find these? Or alternatively could someone direct me to the more popular emulators to use that people already know how to set it up in Xbmc?

Thanks in advance.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-12-02

reverendj1 Wrote:At any rate, you may want to try and switch to using urllib2 (http://docs.python.org/2/library/urllib2.html) if possible, as it does provide a built-in timeout, and I don't think it has this issue. I'll try and cobble it together when I get home tonight and try scraping another collection and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the hint. I will see if I can change this.

kyrios2021 Wrote:I love the add-on, but it seems to be crashing on me with Aeon MQ4. Not sure if its the add-on or the skin but i have a snipit of the crash log
Looks like an error while playing back video. Do you use videos along with your games?

kyrios2021 Wrote:When I copied the video, I got to the importing part and afterwards it only imported Simcity haha. But when click on simcity a window quickly appeared and disappeared but nothing else happened. The only thing I did different to the video was that my emulator is different

I also read that I need the command line or something for the emulators, how would I find these? Or alternatively could someone direct me to the more popular emulators to use that people already know how to set it up in Xbmc?
Can you show me the log file after you tried to import the games and after you tried to launch a game? Maybe I can see what happens.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - negge - 2012-12-02

(2012-12-02, 09:34)Stildawn Wrote: Could someone walk me through getting this to work? I have tried a few things including copying the first use video exactly.

When I copied the video, I got to the importing part and afterwards it only imported Simcity haha. But when click on simcity a window quickly appeared and disappeared but nothing else happened. The only thing I did different to the video was that my emulator is different

I read a part about the importing problems but all the roms I tried are zips and I used the correct file mask.

Thanks in advance.

Some more information would be nice, e.g. what platform are you using, what emulator are you using, what game are you trying to run, can you play other imported games.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gegy - 2012-12-03

Can somebody tell me how to launch vice 64 (Commodore 64 Emulator) in Fullscreen mode from Rom Collection Browser?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-12-04

(2012-12-03, 23:25)gegy Wrote: Can somebody tell me how to launch vice 64 (Commodore 64 Emulator) in Fullscreen mode from Rom Collection Browser?

Didn't tested yet but you may try to have a look:
http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=Commodore_64

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Stildawn - 2012-12-04

(2012-12-02, 21:39)negge Wrote:
(2012-12-02, 09:34)Stildawn Wrote: Could someone walk me through getting this to work? I have tried a few things including copying the first use video exactly.

Thanks in advance.

Some more information would be nice, e.g. what platform are you using, what emulator are you using, what game are you trying to run, can you play other imported games.

Win7 with Eden

I have heaps, but for starters I was trying to get SNES and N64 working. Emulators are: zsnesw and project64

I copied the first use video for the SNES one, but it didn't import all the zips only simcity and that didn't work.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-12-04

@Stildawn:
Sorry, I quoted you with the wrong username above,so maybe my question got lost. Can you show me the log file after you tried to import the games and after you tried to launch a game? Maybe I can see what happens.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kyrios2021 - 2012-12-04

(2012-12-02, 14:50)malte Wrote:
kyrios2021 Wrote:I love the add-on, but it seems to be crashing on me with Aeon MQ4. Not sure if its the add-on or the skin but i have a snipit of the crash log
Looks like an error while playing back video. Do you use videos along with your games?

I checked last night and i do not believe i have any sort of video plugin running with rom browser.... which is kinda odd.. re-installing doesn't help