Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - e2zippo - 2013-02-26

(2013-02-26, 14:25)malte Wrote: I guess this is something skin related. Did you also test to get the original file name working with other menu items?

I just tried it on another menu item and you're right, it's a skin issue.

Cheer!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-26

(2013-02-26, 10:27)malte Wrote:
Dondi Wrote:My PSX ROM set is a ReDump set which are .7z files with .cue & .bin files inside (sometimes multiple .bin files). When I go to launch one, I get a second RCB dialog box (just like my 3DO set) asking me to select one of the files in the .7z archive. I think Im supposed to select the .cue. When I do, nothing much happens after that. A DOS dialog box it displayed. There seems to be a long time before focus comes back to RCB and whichever file I choose in the secondary RCB dialog box, gets extracted into the RCB tmp folder. Shouldn't all the files be sent to the tmp folder and the .cue be passed to RetroArch?
I did not yet test this scenario. I will do and report back.
Ok, pretty much got all my consoles going except PSX and still fiddling around with Atari 7800. The MESS stuff is working nicely. Great job malte!!

Working consoles: NES, SNES, N64, 3DO, Coleco, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, GBA, GBC, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Sega CD, Sega Master System, Sega 32X, Genesis, Game Boy

(2013-02-26, 10:27)malte Wrote:
Dondi Wrote:Am I doing something wrong like not following/understanding what you wrote here:
In RetroPlayer you can have several gameclients (cores) for the same platform (e.g. for SNES you have bsnes, snes9x, snes9x-next, ...). If you download all of them, RetroPlayer will ask you which gameclient to use every time you launch a game. With the "<gameclient>"-setting in config.xml you can force RetroPlayer always to use the specified gameclient. One day you may notice that game A does not run well with your default gameclient but all others do. So you can highlight this one game in RCB, select "Edit Game Command" and choose the preferred gameclient. From now on this one game will be launched with another gameclient than all others.
Ahhh... ok, so this is for the more adventurous who are following the Integrated RetroPlayer thread and are compiling while Garret is updating. I have been following the thread. I do not yet know how to do a lot of the compiling and advanced XBMC stuff. I am still feeling my way around so-to-speak.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ivanalbright - 2013-03-01

I am having a problem with Gens / genesis games not launching correctly.

When I try to launch a genesis rom in rom collection browser, it launches to a black screen (fullscreen) with only sound (no video). In messing around once or twice, I was able to then use alt-enter to switch Gens back to windowed mode, where the video started working again. I then went into the configuration and found that gens did not remember any of my configuration settings (resolution, key bindings, etc). I think for some reason RCB is launching it with the default settings, and the fullscreen default settings did not work for me.

In the rom collection browser addon, I've tried changing the popen and "launch in solo mode" settings to all the combinations possible, but no luck. I am using the default launch parameters "%ROM%"

Is there something I need to do so that Gens remembers its configuration settings when R.C.B. launches it with a rom? If I manually drag and drop a ROM onto the gens.exe file, it *does* remember my settings and so it works fine - launches full screen with my correct key bindings etc.

(I understand how to set everything up in R.C.B. in general and already have n64 (project 64) and snes (zsnes) working correctly launching from rom collection browser in XBMC.)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - XeroKool - 2013-03-01

I am getting the following error whenever I try to launch a ROM after Solo Mode quits XBMC and relaunches back into RCB.

Code:
13:46:37 T:1004  NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error while launching emu: os.chdir not supported in xbmc

If I quit RCB and then go back into it I can successfully launch ROMs again. I'm using XBMC Frodo on Windows 7 (x64). Thoughts?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-01

(2013-03-01, 05:32)ivanalbright Wrote: I am having a problem with Gens / genesis games not launching correctly.

When I try to launch a genesis rom in rom collection browser, it launches to a black screen (fullscreen) with only sound (no video). In messing around once or twice, I was able to then use alt-enter to switch Gens back to windowed mode, where the video started working again. I then went into the configuration and found that gens did not remember any of my configuration settings (resolution, key bindings, etc). I think for some reason RCB is launching it with the default settings, and the fullscreen default settings did not work for me.

In the rom collection browser addon, I've tried changing the popen and "launch in solo mode" settings to all the combinations possible, but no luck. I am using the default launch parameters "%ROM%"

Is there something I need to do so that Gens remembers its configuration settings when R.C.B. launches it with a rom? If I manually drag and drop a ROM onto the gens.exe file, it *does* remember my settings and so it works fine - launches full screen with my correct key bindings etc.

(I understand how to set everything up in R.C.B. in general and already have n64 (project 64) and snes (zsnes) working correctly launching from rom collection browser in XBMC.)

Have you tried using RetroArch? I am pretty sure you can pass a particular config file to the EMU core by inserting the config file path into the commandline param using the -c switch, .i.e., -c "PathToMy\RetroArch\ConfigFolder\MyEMUConfig.cfg"

Here is malte's commandline for genplus that he posted a couple pages ago:
"%ROM%" -c "C:\Program Files\Emulatoren\retroarch-win32-0.9.8-beta2\MyGenPlus.cfg" -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll

I personally have not yet had to pass custom configs to the EMU, but the above should work for RetroArch. RetroArch works very well and will minimize the # of emulators to keep track of. Plus, it will be soon integrated into XBMC itself.

Also, the Adv. Launcher wiki has helpful commandline/EMU-specific documentation that can serve as a guide when setting up your RCB
http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=Main_Page

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ivanalbright - 2013-03-03

(2013-03-01, 21:38)Dondi Wrote: Also, the Adv. Launcher wiki has helpful commandline/EMU-specific documentation that can serve as a guide when setting up your RCB

Thanks, that link was very helpful. I ended up switching to kega fusion instead of gens. The launch paramaters / arguments listed at that link are very helpful. For kega I also had to turn off popen and use solo mode I believe.

Retroarch sounds interesting, but it sounds like it may have been more work to set up than I wanted. I could be wrong since I haven't ever tried to get it working, but I just wanted to finish getting Genesis roms working since I already had the other systems working well. As far as I understand, you have to use retroarch along with other emulators? Or do you just install retroarch and it comes with the ability to load all roms?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-03

(2013-03-03, 08:17)ivanalbright Wrote:
(2013-03-01, 21:38)Dondi Wrote: Also, the Adv. Launcher wiki has helpful commandline/EMU-specific documentation that can serve as a guide when setting up your RCB

Thanks, that link was very helpful. I ended up switching to kega fusion instead of gens. The launch paramaters / arguments listed at that link are very helpful. For kega I also had to turn off popen and use solo mode I believe.

Retroarch sounds interesting, but it sounds like it may have been more work to set up than I wanted. I could be wrong since I haven't ever tried to get it working, but I just wanted to finish getting Genesis roms working since I already had the other systems working well. As far as I understand, you have to use retroarch along with other emulators? Or do you just install retroarch and it comes with the ability to load all roms?
There is no "install" for RetroArch. Just unzip. RetroArch has multiple emulators (i.e., cores) for many platforms. Different cores are available via the in-program GUI download. As cores are updated, you just pull it from within the RetroArch GUI (Retroarch-phoenix.exe). I try to avoid installing anything I don't need to, and for me, RetroArch has replaced several emulators. I think I have close to 18 sets of ROMs that I am working with and RetroArch is handling the majority of them. The only other EMUs I have going besides RetroArch are 4DO, MESS and Project64 (P64 is the only one requiring an install).

When you get a chance, check out RetroArch. I have found the documentation fairly sparse, but once you get it to work for one platform, it's pretty much universal across the other cores. Here's a link. And if you have any questions, just ask. I only discovered it like 3 weeks ago. It's real easy to use and it works great (for me)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Ryoga79 - 2013-03-03

Hi all, i'm using the script so far to great success, there's just two minor questions i have that i wasn't able to find when poking around the thread and the plugin itself, ones that you guys can probably answer very quickly:

1) Is it possible to "mark game as finished" like in advanced launcher? (Using nox 4.0 skin)

2) Is it possible to sort by alpha and ignore the "The" at the beginning of a title?

Thanks in advance, loving the plugin!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - BugRaider84 - 2013-03-04

Hi there,

I new to this stuff so please don't punish me if this was asked a million times before but I'm not looking forward to read 320 pages ;-)

I am running xbmc Frodo with Aeon Nox on my Mac (newest OS) and installed RCB like advised on the Wiki... I also installed the Emu SNES9x for OSX on my Mac and added a new Rom Collection in RCB using my Emu and my SNES roms. This far all good.
Now I'm trying to start a game. It doesn't, to say that first. The program (SNES9x) is starting and XBMC is going into window mode but the rom is not starting... If I'm starting a game directly (without xbmc/RCB being involved) it runs just fine. Well I read about some changes in the RCB options and/or Emu on the Wiki but I didn't get how or where ... or what lol
As I said I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like that but I'd really like to run my roms through xvmc .... btw without going into window mode if possible.

Anyone wants to help me out here ... thx a lot in advance! I'm lost Big Grin

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dohnalradek - 2013-03-05

Hi.
I try to start work with RCB, but Im unable to run it. I have XBMCbuntu v.12. I install service.rom.collection.browser-1.0.0-1.zip and script.games.rom.collection.browser-1.1.2.zip via *. zip files (not from reposites). When I try to run RBC I got error message : "error: script failed! script.games.rom.collection.browser". Other program addon works ok...

My HW is core i3 3220T (graphic HD2500) with MB Gigabyte H77N-Wifi.

Can you help me please? Log fle is attached: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2401

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dark_Slayer - 2013-03-05

(2013-02-18, 00:01)malte Wrote: I guess it is the "-f" option that you are after. Here is an example of my configuration (Genesis):
Code:
"%ROM%" -c "C:\Program Files\Emulatoren\retroarch-win32-0.9.8-beta2\retroarch.cfg" -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll

Sorry to be such a noob in this area, but can you explain this any?

I think the -c and "C:\Path" is to switch configurations, and -f is for fullscreen. What is -D and -L for?

Also, does the single retroarch.cfg allow you to config all of the cores you are using, and you append each "%ROM%" or %ROM% with the above switches and specific core dll?

Sorry, if you just point me to a good retroarch w/ RCB resource I can probably figure a lot of it out

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-06

I think the -D param suppresses the DOS box from popping-up and I believe the -L param is for launching the game/core/EMU (I think)

You can use RetroArch-Phoenix.exe to configure each core and save the config. With the -c you can specify which config to pass to the core on a per-platform/console basis. So, if you have a particular "special" configuration for your video and/or audio settings for a particular platform/core (i.e., GameBoy Color), you would set up a GameBoyColor.cfg file using retroarch-phoenix.exe with your special settings and pass -c "Path\to\my\Retroarch\ConfigFolder\GameBoyColor.cfg" with the rest of the traditional commandline params (-f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64.dll "%ROM%").

I have not yet set any special configs for my ROM sets/cores. I think if you omit the -c param, it'll use the default retroarch.cfg.

I do not have a whole lot of experience yet with RetroArch, so please someone, chime-in if I am mistaken here. I must say though that the cores that I do have set-up, are performing nicely

So far, all of my commandline params are pretty-much identical:

Genesis = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
Sega Master System = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
Sega CD = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
SNES = -f -D -L libretro-git-snes9x-next-x86_64 "%ROM%"
Atari 2600 = -f -D -L libretro-git-stella-x86_64 "%ROM%"
GameBoy = -f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64 "%ROM%"
GameBoy Color = -f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64 "%ROM%"
GameBoy Advance = -f -D -L libretro-git-vba-x86_64 "%ROM%"
NES = -f -D -L libretro-git-bnes-x86_64 "%ROM%"

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-03-06

XeroKool Wrote:I am getting the following error whenever I try to launch a ROM after Solo Mode quits XBMC and relaunches back into RCB.

Code:
13:46:37 T:1004  NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error while launching emu: os.chdir not supported in xbmc

If I quit RCB and then go back into it I can successfully launch ROMs again. I'm using XBMC Frodo on Windows 7 (x64). Thoughts?
Thanks for the hint. I will try to solve this with next release.

Ryoga79 Wrote:Hi all, i'm using the script so far to great success, there's just two minor questions i have that i wasn't able to find when poking around the thread and the plugin itself, ones that you guys can probably answer very quickly:

1) Is it possible to "mark game as finished" like in advanced launcher? (Using nox 4.0 skin)

2) Is it possible to sort by alpha and ignore the "The" at the beginning of a title?
Both on my list but not added yet.

BugRaider84 Wrote:Now I'm trying to start a game. It doesn't, to say that first. The program (SNES9x) is starting and XBMC is going into window mode but the rom is not starting... If I'm starting a game directly (without xbmc/RCB being involved) it runs just fine.
Did you launch the game via command line? Make sure that you use the exact command line in RCB that works outside of XBMC. If you still have trouble please show me a log file after you tried to launch the game.

dohnalradek Wrote:I try to start work with RCB, but Im unable to run it. I have XBMCbuntu v.12. I install service.rom.collection.browser-1.0.0-1.zip and script.games.rom.collection.browser-1.1.2.zip via *. zip files (not from reposites). When I try to run RBC I got error message : "error: script failed! script.games.rom.collection.browser". Other program addon works ok...
I guess this happens because you don't have sqlite3 (python module) installed on your system. Usually this should be shipped with XBMC.

@Dondi: Everything you said looks good to me. But I am also new to retroarchSmile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dohnalradek - 2013-03-06

malte: How can I install this missing sqlite3 module please? I have a new installation of Frodo XBMCbuntu and Im sure I didnt delete/unintall any files...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dark_Slayer - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 05:38)Dondi Wrote: I think the -D param suppresses the DOS box from popping-up and I believe the -L param is for launching the game/core/EMU (I think)

You can use RetroArch-Phoenix.exe to configure each core and save the config. With the -c you can specify which config to pass to the core on a per-platform/console basis. So, if you have a particular "special" configuration for your video and/or audio settings for a particular platform/core (i.e., GameBoy Color), you would set up a GameBoyColor.cfg file using retroarch-phoenix.exe with your special settings and pass -c "Path\to\my\Retroarch\ConfigFolder\GameBoyColor.cfg" with the rest of the traditional commandline params (-f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64.dll "%ROM%").

Thanks for this, I like the idea of a single config. I'll try using this for most

Without a N64 core, I guess I'll be sticking with Project64. Does -f -D "%ROM%" work to make it full screen with a suppressed DOS prompt as well? I'm a command line rookie, so I can't tell if these parameters are unique or universal. FWIW, I did read this page first

I'll try it either way, but I don't typically get to play with configurations until the weekends so I was trying to do the legwork in attempts to spend more time actually playing the games than setting them up Smile

Thanks for the help, and great job on this addon (EDIT: I intended the thanks to everyone and the addon kudos to malte I suppose? Malte do you work on this alone?)