Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2013-05-06

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is not directly related to RCB, but I have since december last year an ubuntu minimal install (no GUI), just the basics to run XBMC in 64 bit linux. This is my HTPC and I want to keep this machine as clean as possible (I have a laptop for testing - this is a WIN97 based system).
Now I'm thinking of adding my game collection using RCB. I'm a NOOB when it comes to linux.
I was wondering if I would be able to install emu's without a GUI. Just install them and use them in RCB/XBMC. Can anybosy help me in this department? I mean, maybe even a link to how to install them using the linux commands? Anyone any experience in this department? I would like to start with my Genesis collection ...

Thanks a lot for reading.

Grave

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Cosmo_Kramer - 2013-05-06

(2013-04-30, 16:47)Scratch Wrote: Is there a howto or wiki link to manually add mame artwork. Naming conventions etc.... Also I am having the same issue stated by Cosmo. If I run the emulation for longer than a few minutes. On exit xbmc is not in full screen. Win7 64

I am still having this problem. I am using Transparency as my skin. Would this be the culprit?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - msarro - 2013-05-06

Hey everyone. I am running into issues trying to get PCSXR running in OSX Mountain Lion. Has anyone had luck getting this running?

The wiki has nothing listed about OSX.
http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=PCSX-Reloaded

I have been unable to get anything to work configuration-wise. Most of the time I will get the window to open, and then immediately close. If no luck with PCSXR, is there another PSX emulator that is recommended for OSX?? PCSX doesn't include more than very early plugins, so it's not optimal.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-05-07

Ringoko Wrote:It happens every time. I currently don't have any collections set up as I was about to change the emulator...

Here is the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=16505
I am sorry, I can't see anything obvious in the logs. Can you please provide a debug log file?

What language is XBMC set to? Maybe there is an issue with reading the correct strings.

st graveyard Wrote:Sorry if this is not directly related to RCB, but I have since december last year an ubuntu minimal install (no GUI), just the basics to run XBMC in 64 bit linux. This is my HTPC and I want to keep this machine as clean as possible (I have a laptop for testing - this is a WIN97 based system).
Now I'm thinking of adding my game collection using RCB. I'm a NOOB when it comes to linux.
I was wondering if I would be able to install emu's without a GUI. Just install them and use them in RCB/XBMC. Can anybosy help me in this department? I mean, maybe even a link to how to install them using the linux commands? Anyone any experience in this department? I would like to start with my Genesis collection ...
I would try to get retroarch to work. I guess it should be possible to do all tasks via command line. But my linux test machine is a full Ubuntu install so I installed it the easy way using the gui. So I can't be of help with command lines.

BTW: You should update your test machine to win98 at least Smile

Cosmo_Kramer Wrote:I am still having this problem. I am using Transparency as my skin. Would this be the culprit?
I don't think so. But it would be worth testing. I am sorry but I did not yet found the time to get into this myself.

msarro Wrote:I have been unable to get anything to work configuration-wise. Most of the time I will get the window to open, and then immediately close. If no luck with PCSXR, is there another PSX emulator that is recommended for OSX?? PCSX doesn't include more than very early plugins, so it's not optimal.
Maybe this helps.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2013-05-07

(2013-05-07, 08:06)malte Wrote:
st graveyard Wrote:Sorry if this is not directly related to RCB, but I have since december last year an ubuntu minimal install (no GUI), just the basics to run XBMC in 64 bit linux. This is my HTPC and I want to keep this machine as clean as possible (I have a laptop for testing - this is a WIN97 based system).
I would try to get retroarch to work. I guess it should be possible to do all tasks via command line. But my linux test machine is a full Ubuntu install so I installed it the easy way using the gui. So I can't be of help with command lines.

BTW: You should update your test machine to win98 at least Smile

Hey Malte,

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I'm really looking forward to the whole Retroarch/libretro core stuff in XBMC, but I don't want to install this on my UBUNTU machine while this is still in such an early fase.
My test machine has WIN7 (typo) Big Grin

Anyway, I will try and figure the command line stuff in unix out, see how far I get ...

Cheers...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Ringoko - 2013-05-07

(2013-05-07, 08:06)malte Wrote: I am sorry, I can't see anything obvious in the logs. Can you please provide a debug log file?

What language is XBMC set to? Maybe there is an issue with reading the correct strings.

debug log, http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=16853

Language is set to English, region is Australia for some reason though I'm UK.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-05-08

st graveyard Wrote:Well, I'm really looking forward to the whole Retroarch/libretro core stuff in XBMC, but I don't want to install this on my UBUNTU machine while this is still in such an early fase.
Oh, i did not mean the builtin libretro cores of garbears branch. I talked about retroarch as standalone application that can be launched as any other emulator with current XBMC releases. It can easily be launched via command line but I am not sure how flawless it can be installed and configured without a gui.

Ringoko Wrote:debug log, http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=16853

Language is set to English, region is Australia for some reason though I'm UK.
Maybe this was a misunderstanding. I meant XBMC debug, not RCB debug. Please enable XBMC debug logging in System/Debug menu.

In the log you should find something like this:
Code:
07:05:02 T:7728   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogContextMenu.xml) ------
07:05:02 T:7728   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogAddonSettings.xml) ------
07:05:02 T:7728    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogAddonSettings.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
07:05:02 T:7728   DEBUG: LocalizeStrings: no translation available in currently set gui language, at path C:\Users\lom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser.dev\resources\language\English (US)
07:05:02 T:7728   DEBUG: LocalizeStrings: no strings.po file exist at C:\Users\lom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser.dev\resources\language\English, fallback to strings.xml
07:05:05 T:7728   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 01, sym: 001b, unicode: 001b, modifier: 0
07:05:05 T:7728   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: escape (f01b) pressed, action is PreviousMenu
07:05:05 T:7728   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogAddonSettings.xml) ------

BTW: can you explain what you are doing exactly? In the log I can see that you try to launch RCB but then cancel the import wizard. Correct? How do you try to launch the settings dialog?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - n1md4 - 2013-05-08

(2013-05-06, 09:41)st graveyard Wrote: Sorry if this is not directly related to RCB, but I have since december last year an ubuntu minimal install (no GUI), just the basics to run XBMC in 64 bit linux. This is my HTPC and I want to keep this machine as clean as possible (I have a laptop for testing - this is a WIN97 based system).

I too run Ubuntu minimal.

To install emulators you can either press a/ ctl-alt-Fx to switch to a text based login, or b/ SSH to your machine - your XBMC box will need to have ssh installed.

Now find the emulator you want to install. Ubuntu uses the Debian package manager, so use aptitude search, then the emulator name:

e.g.

$ aptitude search snes
p snes9x-x - X binaries for snes9x - Super NES emulator
p zsnes - Emulator of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System ™

You can install packages by substituting search for install.

If you can't find the emulator you're looking for then you might find a PPA repository you can add:

e.g.
https://launchpad.net/~hunter-kaller/+archive/ppa hosts an Ubuntu packaged version of bsnes

Or, check the official webpage's download section, they sometimes have .deb packages too. Other wise, there'll likely be a source tarball (I'm not going in to that).

Once you have your emulator installed, use whereis and the emulator name to locate the binary; needed for adding collections.

Getting to the emulators UI is another challenge Wink I usually find once a game is launched the UI is available by an appropriate keypress.

Let me know if that's helpful, or if you need any thing else - I don't mind breaking parts down, and was going for an overview first.

p.s. sorry for hi-jacking your thread, malte, on something not entirely RCB Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2013-05-08

(2013-05-08, 10:50)n1md4 Wrote:
(2013-05-06, 09:41)st graveyard Wrote: Sorry if this is not directly related to RCB, but I have since december last year an ubuntu minimal install (no GUI), just the basics to run XBMC in 64 bit linux. This is my HTPC and I want to keep this machine as clean as possible (I have a laptop for testing - this is a WIN97 based system).

I too run Ubuntu minimal.

To install emulators you can either press a/ ctl-alt-Fx to switch to a text based login, or b/ SSH to your machine - your XBMC box will need to have ssh installed.

Now find the emulator you want to install. Ubuntu uses the Debian package manager, so use aptitude search, then the emulator name:

e.g.

$ aptitude search snes

Thanks a lot! I will be playing with this and pm you in the near future.

Thank you for your help.

Grave

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - n1md4 - 2013-05-09

MAME
How to add MAME roms with offline game descriptions
I have successfully scraped a ROM, but don't have local artwork. Is there a Linux alternative to the packaged used to download art?

It's also not launching games, if some one can help me by checking the log it would be appreciated
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=17154

Additionally, I have just noticed that there are thousands of these (of different game names) is xbmc.log, and they're stopping me launching RCB. Is there a way to stop this behaviour?
May 9 01:12:06 tag_xbmc_log: 01:12:06 T:2780244800 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: searching for Key: buster
May 9 01:12:06 tag_xbmc_log: 01:12:06 T:2780244800 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: game Buster was found in parsed results but not in your rom collection.

Scummvm
I would like to add my ScummVm ROM collection scraped with RCB, but have not been successful. Has any one done this?
http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=ScummVM#Linux

Steam
Lastly, I have the Steam client working, but is there a way to launch Steam games, without the Steam UI?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2013-05-09

(2013-05-08, 10:50)n1md4 Wrote: I too run Ubuntu minimal.

e.g.

$ aptitude search snes

I now have installed GENS for genesis emulation using this command :

sudo aptitude install gens

But I'm now wondering, where is it installed? Which directory? How do I start it? If I don't know the dir, how can I use it in RCB?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - n1md4 - 2013-05-09

(2013-05-09, 11:49)st graveyard Wrote: I now have installed GENS for genesis emulation using this command :

sudo aptitude install gens

But I'm now wondering, where is it installed? Which directory? How do I start it? If I don't know the dir, how can I use it in RCB?

Code:
$ whereis gens
gens: /usr/bin/gens /usr/bin/X11/gens /usr/share/gens

/usr/bin/gens is the one you're after Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - jmacdoug - 2013-05-09

What's the easiest way to re-import/scrape locally all of my games with nfo and artwork that has been acquired previously through a run with online scrapers in RCB?

My attempts so far have resulted in 0 games imported.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Scratch - 2013-05-09

(2013-05-06, 16:06)Cosmo_Kramer Wrote:
(2013-04-30, 16:47)Scratch Wrote: Is there a howto or wiki link to manually add mame artwork. Naming conventions etc.... Also I am having the same issue stated by Cosmo. If I run the emulation for longer than a few minutes. On exit xbmc is not in full screen. Win7 64

I am still having this problem. I am using Transparency as my skin. Would this be the culprit?

I Am using Ace. So it does not sound skin specific

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Necromancyr - 2013-05-11

I'm having some issues around videos - basically just getting a black area where the video should be. The files I have are just AVI (DivX5 video, MP3 audio) - not from emumovies i don't think.

Nothing seems to play. I have the autoplay setting on and still nothing. If I hit play on a game, it plays the video full screen and when I exit it continues to play on the browse screen, but it's all screwed up (no items selected, just the video showing, shifts back to start of the list, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated - or, at the least, how to make it just show a screenshot and completely remove the non-playing video black screen. Smile

(Unrelated - is there a way to use RCB with ScummVM? Turning up next to nothing in searches and it would be GREAT if it did work...)