Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - aoaaron - 2013-12-10

update: i've figured out how to map escape and alt+f4 to my mceremote... now all i need is advice please on how to boot dolphin games up. keeps coming up with an error.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-12-10

What error? Get it working via command line then use the working command in RCB.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-12-11

g3kk0 Wrote:I can confirm the import is making it into the DB as I've used SQLite Browser to check.

You can find a copy of the xbmc.log with RCB log level set to debug here http://pastebin.com/dvSz6L5R

I'd really like to use this plugin as I miss all my old game on the big screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Very strange. I can't find any additional and related errors in the log file, so I don't know what is happening. Could you try a clean install of RCB? Also delete the RCB folder in addon_settings. Sorry for the hassle but I have no other idea atm.

forumjoe Wrote:If I quit out of RCB at this stage, I can't reopen it or else I get the same error. If I go into the config.xml and delete all references to the MAME Rom collection and the MAME scraper, it works as it used to, but without the MAME collection.
I'm happy to post the config.xml file and the xbmc.log file if it will help someone work out what's going on.
Yes, please upload the contents of your files to xbmclogs.com and post the link here. Otherwise we can't see what is happening.

aoaaron Wrote:now all i need is advice please on how to boot dolphin games up. keeps coming up with an error.
If you have issues with a specific emulator you should first follow these steps

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bs0d - 2013-12-12

Does anyone else have an issue with RCB not showing the local HD when identifying the path to the Emulator? All I see is my external HD and Fusion loader (via XBMCHUB).

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-12-12

You need to add it as a source - in the file manager from memory.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bs0d - 2013-12-12

Thanks that worked like a charm.

Right now I have 3 key issues (FYI - I'm using the mednafen emulator (thanks teeedubb for suggestion)):

• How can I tell RBC to open game in full screen? Currently opens approx. 1/6th size, top left corner.

• Why doesn't it have any sound? How can I fix this?

• When RBC launches a ROM, the keyboard becomes inactive. I have to physically reboot machine - it essentially locks me out. Provided this, can someone point me in the right direction for drivers & instructions to use the xbx 360 remote? Does it work with mednafen?

These are probably simple issues, but figured this would be the best place to find an answer. Thanks again

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-12-12

You need to use a command line switch to set full screen and the full screen resolution. The mednafen documentation is very informative. Get it working via command line first then use that info with rcb.

Sound can be a major pita in Linux. From memory you need another command line switch to select the audio device.

How exactly are you running the emulators( os, solo mode, xbmc session? etc)

I just pointed XBMC to the mednafen.exe as part of the config creation at first start-up for RBC. All of this is ran in XBMC Frodo. I have the XBMCBuntu Linux package.

Running games/emulators ontop of xbmc has always given me problems, so I use solo mode, but it wont work with the xbmcbuntu session in xbmcbuntu. You can open a openbox(a lightweight desktop) session to run the emulator or simply use to run xbmc/your games - see my signature for a quick howto.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - aoaaron - 2013-12-13

(2012-06-04, 23:35)pantherts Wrote: Rom Collection Browser - Multiple Disc Patch
By: pantherts

Rom Collection Browser
Project Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/
By: malte

------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION
First off, thank you to malte for creating Rom Collection Browser! I'm sure we all couldn't imagine our XBMC setups without it! He put in a lot of work to make sure that RCB was everything we needed in our emulation setups and I want to be clear that while this patch works it's most likely only a temporary implementation due to his plan to release a new version with this functionality included. If you love Rom Collection Browser, be sure to DONATE on the project's homepage! Also, malte, I'm not trying to step on your feet at all and really did this just to provide a temporary solution for many of us experiencing this limitation. Let me know if you spot anything in these files that could cause problems for users as I tested them the best I could but am not sure how the changes will effect emulators that load multiple disks at the same time. To easily find the changes I made, please search for 'pantherts' in the launcher.py file. Okay, on to the patch!

EXPLANATION
The one thing that many of us have inquired about on the forums was the ability to choose an individual disc in a multiple disc game. Games on Playstation, for example, can span 2-4 discs which requires the user to load up another disc to continue playing. This patch adds code to launcher.py to allow the user to select an individual disc when loading these types of games. You must first be using a 'Disk indicator' in the Import Games menu for the Rom Collection containing these games.

Example: Disk indicator: _Disk

This is the naming convention for the games with multiple discs that you must abide by. If you have Final Fantasy VII for example, the names should look similar to this if using the above example:

Final Fantasy VII_Disk1.bin
Final Fantasy VII_Disk2.bin
Final Fantasy VII_Disk3.bin

This allows RCB to only list the game once and it allows this patch to properly list the multiple discs used by the game. Okay, let's get patching!

Files Modified: launcher.py, launcher.pyo
Tested On: v0.99, v1.02

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the zip file containing the patched files here: Rom Collection Browser - Multiple Disc Patch
2. Shutdown XBMC (not completely necessary but do it to be safe)
3. Browse to C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib
4. Make a copy of both launcher.py and launcher.pyo files (for backup).
5. Unzip the patched files into this folder replacing the old files.
6. Done! Launch XBMC and pick a multiple disc game. You'll get a prompt asking you which disc you'd like to launch.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. Just realize this is most likely a temporary solution to this issue and that malte is planning on implementing this feature in a new release at a later date.

EDIT: Changed some logging messages for clarity. 5/6/2012

hey this didnt work whatsoever.. .does anyone have any fixes for multiple disc games?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bs0d - 2013-12-13

Anyone able to resolve issues of no sound and the keyboard locking up after launching a ROM?

I'm using mednafen

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - faroukzidane - 2013-12-15

(2013-12-13, 05:05)bs0d Wrote: Anyone able to resolve issues of no sound and the keyboard locking up after launching a ROM?

I'm using mednafen
Same issue here. Sometimes when I launch a PC game, it launches with no sound.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Daeymon - 2013-12-16

I've been trying to build a coverflow skin. Basically, using a transparent wraplist on top of images which change based on how you interact with the wraplist. It's derived from what others have done in standard skins, but never implemented on RCB. I'm having trouble getting animations on the images to work, I can't seem to be able to get the conditional, visible or hidden type animations to trigger. I'm trying to get the animations to trigger on Container.OnNext and Container.OnPrevious but with no luck. Is this a limitation in RCB?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-12-16

aoaaron Wrote:hey this didnt work whatsoever.. .does anyone have any fixes for multiple disc games?
Usually the builtin multi disc selector should work. It depends on your file naming and your configuration of "Disk indicator" in "Edit Rom Collection" dialog. Common error is that "Disk indicator" works as a regular expression and users use a wrong value. You could show me your naming scheme and I could try to get it working.

bs0d Wrote:Anyone able to resolve issues of no sound and the keyboard locking up after launching a ROM?

I'm using mednafen
Did you try to use solo mode in combination with Openbox like teeedubb suggested?

Daeymon Wrote:I've been trying to build a coverflow skin. Basically, using a transparent wraplist on top of images which change based on how you interact with the wraplist. It's derived from what others have done in standard skins, but never implemented on RCB. I'm having trouble getting animations on the images to work, I can't seem to be able to get the conditional, visible or hidden type animations to trigger. I'm trying to get the animations to trigger on Container.OnNext and Container.OnPrevious but with no luck. Is this a limitation in RCB?
Not that I know of. RCB is just using XBMCs skinning engine but I am not sure if there are any limitations for addons in general. I know for sure that you can use conditional animations as I am using them myself. Not sure about Container.OnNext and OnPrevious. Maybe you are checking the wrong container?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bs0d - 2013-12-17

I can't use solo mode because I'm using XBMCBuntu. And installing STEAM through openbox doesn't allow me to play ROM's.

My goal is to get Rom Collection Browser to actually do what it sounds like it's suppose to.

I found this thread which shows some promise, but it's a bit dated: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86630&pid=703394#pid703394 Has anyone used the code that user bedek describes:

Code:
/usr/bin/killall -STOP xbmc.bin
$HOME/Emulators/Launcher/launcher.sh pasuspender -- /usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 $1
/usr/bin/killall -CONT xbmc.bin

I also read of users having success with this line to correct sound issues:
Code:
-sounddevice "sexyal-literal-default"
"it forces mednafen to use the Alsa default sound device"

or, another option via bedek, from same thread link above):
Code:
pasuspender -- mednafen game_file.nes

I haven't tested that yet- I'm not sure if that's something you pass along with the %ROM% line in RCB or if it could be added to the above mentioned script to be an "out-of-the-box" solution. If so, we should add it to the Wiki page for RCB as mednafen seems to be a widely used emulator through this platform.
Is this a file you can have ROM Collection browser execute while opening a ROM? I'd like to learn how to implement this. I'm just new and not up to speed on perhaps some of the common assumed things.

Thanks