Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trnzaddict - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-12, 08:44)malte Wrote: New test version available: 2.0.12

List of changes:

General
  • Edit Rom Collection: workaround to update button labels with empty strings

Import Games
  • update moby scraper: reflect changes on page

Launch Games
  • add option to suspend audio before launching games
  • add option to toggle screen mode before launching games

This release should fix the mobygames scraper again. It may happen that it will break again as there are still some changes on the site.

The Edit Rom Collection fix is also meant to be a temporary one. There are some issues with deleting text in the Edit Rom Collection dialog. This is due to the behaviour of XBMCs Button Control as I posted here. I hope that this can be fixed in XBMC some day. For the time being I hope my workaround will suffice.

The new options in Launch Games have been added as some users reported issues with RCBs default behaviour. So, if you have trouble with launching games, these two options could be worth to play with.

There are still some fixes in my pipeline. I hope that there will be another release soon.

Note: I can't provide new RCB releases on Google Codes download page anymore. You should use the direct link above to download RCBs latest version or you can use RCBs repository to get latest test releases: link to repository

@trnzaddict: this release should fix you issues as well.

Previous version: 2.0.11

Thanks for the update. It is scraping info better now, but certain titles still refuse to get any info like Gyruss and Koffi Yellow Copter, both for Atari 5200. When I do selective matching, it finds both titles on Moby Games, but does not fill in any of the info after it scrapes.

Aside from a few years it didn't scrape for some games I just rescraped the games and it filled it but it's still not 100%.

Would my xbmc log help you?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-12

Yes, a log would help. Please do a scrape and show me your log afterwards. And tell me for what games info is missing (just some examples).

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - rjbogz - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-10, 19:30)malte Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 22:58)rjbogz Wrote: I put the log here: http://pastebin.com/TLc6JHNE

Thank you!
Looks like the games have been imported already and RCB won't do it again. Can you try to enable the option "Rescrape already imported games" in Addon settings?
It seems that there is only 96 different games being imported, while i have over 700 in the folder. I recognizes the 96 just fine, but it just won't pick up the ones it hasn't scraped already.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-13

(2014-03-12, 20:25)rjbogz Wrote:
(2014-03-10, 19:30)malte Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 22:58)rjbogz Wrote: I put the log here: http://pastebin.com/TLc6JHNE

Thank you!
Looks like the games have been imported already and RCB won't do it again. Can you try to enable the option "Rescrape already imported games" in Addon settings?
It seems that there is only 96 different games being imported, while i have over 700 in the folder. I recognizes the 96 just fine, but it just won't pick up the ones it hasn't scraped already.
Ok, it looks like there is some misbehaviour with the max folder depth parameter. Can you try to set it to 999 in Edit Rom Collection dialog?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2014-03-13

(2014-03-07, 22:25)malte Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 12:03)malte Wrote:
Tomkun Wrote:When I select 'edit rom collection' from the context menu, I am taken to the edit window as expected. It defaults to the first rom collection (in my case Genesis), also as expected. However, when I try to change the rom collection to edit, all the option remain fixed on the first rom collection. Does that make sense?
I can reproduce this. This happens only on "Launch Games" tab. Others seem to work. I will see how to fix this.
Strange. For some reason I cannot reproduce this issue anymore. Can you show me a log when this happens again to you? I will also test some more but right now it does not happen to me.
I just realised that it only happens when I use "Aeon MQ5", not "Confluence". Did something change that would have broken it in 3rd party skins?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trnzaddict - 2014-03-14

(2014-03-12, 18:30)malte Wrote: Yes, a log would help. Please do a scrape and show me your log afterwards. And tell me for what games info is missing (just some examples).

ok Malte, sorry it took a while to get back to you.

The games I tried scraping are Gyruss, Koffi Yellow Copter and Castle Crisis for the Atari 5200 I think. I read the log myself, it is coming up with many errors and warning when trying to
parse info from Moby Games on these titles. Like I said it finds them but can't suck it off the site.

http://pastebin.com/wi9Rx4T7

there's the log.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-15

(2014-03-14, 16:45)trnzaddict Wrote:
(2014-03-12, 18:30)malte Wrote: Yes, a log would help. Please do a scrape and show me your log afterwards. And tell me for what games info is missing (just some examples).

ok Malte, sorry it took a while to get back to you.

The games I tried scraping are Gyruss, Koffi Yellow Copter and Castle Crisis for the Atari 5200 I think. I read the log myself, it is coming up with many errors and warning when trying to
parse info from Moby Games on these titles. Like I said it finds them but can't suck it off the site.

http://pastebin.com/wi9Rx4T7

there's the log.
Thanks for the log. I am afraid the problem is, that my current scraper implementation is a bit unflexible. It fails when the structure on the scraped site varies from game to game. In your case some games are missing Perspective information, other games are missing Developer information. And not only the information itself, they are missing the complete entry including the key word. This makes my scraper fail.

I already started to build new scrapers from scratch but I had to stop my work on this a while back. I am not sure if I can easily adopt the work that I have already done in RCBs current release. I will check if it is possible with reasonable effort. But expect it to take a while.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-15

(2014-03-13, 13:53)Tomkun Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 22:25)malte Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 12:03)malte Wrote: I can reproduce this. This happens only on "Launch Games" tab. Others seem to work. I will see how to fix this.
Strange. For some reason I cannot reproduce this issue anymore. Can you show me a log when this happens again to you? I will also test some more but right now it does not happen to me.
I just realised that it only happens when I use "Aeon MQ5", not "Confluence". Did something change that would have broken it in 3rd party skins?

Ok, I found it. The new RetroPlayer-config options are not yet included in other skins than Confluence. This is why it fails. As this is still a "hidden" feature I did not inform other skinners to include these options in their skins. I have to double check my code that it does not fail for the rest of the configuration at least.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - rjbogz - 2014-03-17

(2014-03-13, 08:55)malte Wrote:
(2014-03-12, 20:25)rjbogz Wrote:
(2014-03-10, 19:30)malte Wrote: Looks like the games have been imported already and RCB won't do it again. Can you try to enable the option "Rescrape already imported games" in Addon settings?
Ok, it looks like there is some misbehaviour with the max folder depth parameter. Can you try to set it to 999 in Edit Rom Collection dialog?
This seems to have fixed it. Thanks Malte!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - herds - 2014-03-19

Bit late to the party, have a couple questions.

1) how is the Android support? I saw a thread that described getting RCB working, just wondered given Gotham etc whether this was now a simple process of installing the app.

2) is there a way, once setup and all is good to backup RCB and restore it on another device (currently looking into 3 android devices)

Cheers.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Solid One - 2014-03-19

I've tested this addon and it's really great. After downloading a few boxes, snaps and videos, the final result is really fantastic!

However, I have a question: Is there any option to add a delay for playing videos after focusing a game in the list? I mean, the videos are played right away, and sometimes this can make game browsing experience slow when I press "Left" or "Right" key a lot of times in a row. If there's a little video delay, this slowdown will decrease.

As I couldn't find anything alike on RCB, I'm asking: Can you please implement this feature on the future? I've tested a lot of emulator frontends with video support, and all of them have a video delay option, and that will be really welcome on RCB.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-20

herds Wrote:1) how is the Android support? I saw a thread that described getting RCB working, just wondered given Gotham etc whether this was now a simple process of installing the app.

2) is there a way, once setup and all is good to backup RCB and restore it on another device (currently looking into 3 android devices)
1) Android support is still being worked on. The thread that you mentioned shows one way to get it working on the Ouya and it still needs some manual modification on RCBs source files to get it working. I never tested this myself as I don't own an Ouya.

Right now I am trying to get it working on my Android phone and if I will be able to do it I will try to get it done without the need to change any source files by the user. But atm I am not very confident that I will succeed. I am not that deep into Android and right now I guess I am struggling with very basic stuff. Maybe I can tell you more some days/weeks later.

2) If you use the exact same locations for your rom files, artwork and emulators you should be able to copy your config.xml and MyGames.db to another device. You should also copy all artwork that RCB downloaded to the other devices.

Solid One Wrote:However, I have a question: Is there any option to add a delay for playing videos after focusing a game in the list? I mean, the videos are played right away, and sometimes this can make game browsing experience slow when I press "Left" or "Right" key a lot of times in a row. If there's a little video delay, this slowdown will decrease.
What skin are you using? In Confluence skin there is already a delay just for this reason. I can move fast from A to Z and it will just start the video of the game where I come to halt.

But the delay is not configurable right now. Maybe it is too short for slower systems?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Solid One - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 10:49)malte Wrote: What skin are you using? In Confluence skin there is already a delay just for this reason. I can move fast from A to Z and it will just start the video of the game where I come to halt.

But the delay is not configurable right now. Maybe it is too short for slower systems?

I'm using Confluence. Tested Aeon Nox too, but I got some issues (such as no video playback support).

Now that you said that there's already a delay for this, I checked and confirmed there's really a delay between game focus and video showing. However, it's very short.

I guess that the delay is of approximately 250ms (or less), and for slower systems it can make a pain to navigate on interface.

You said that it's not configurable right now, but can I increase this delay by editing a few files? I don't mind editing python or XML files for that.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 13:23)Solid One Wrote:
(2014-03-20, 10:49)malte Wrote: What skin are you using? In Confluence skin there is already a delay just for this reason. I can move fast from A to Z and it will just start the video of the game where I come to halt.

I'm using Confluence. Tested Aeon Nox too, but I got some issues (such as no video playback support).

Now that you said that there's already a delay for this, I checked and confirmed there's really a delay between game focus and video showing. However, it's very short.

I guess that the delay is of approximately 250ms (or less), and for slower systems it can make a pain to navigate on interface.

You said that it's not configurable right now, but can I increase this delay by editing a few files? I don't mind editing python or XML files for that.
You can edit the skin files directly to change the delay. In RCBs addon directory open the file: "resources/skins/Default/720p/script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml" and search for these lines:

Code:
<animation delay="300" effect="fade" start="100" end="100">Focus</animation>
<onfocus>XBMC.PlayMedia($ESCINFO[ListItem.Property(gameplaymain)],1)</onfocus>
I guess you know what part to editSmile

Note: this code should occur two times in the file.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - IncognitoMan - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 10:49)malte Wrote:
herds Wrote:1) how is the Android support? I saw a thread that described getting RCB working, just wondered given Gotham etc whether this was now a simple process of installing the app.

1) Android support is still being worked on. The thread that you mentioned shows one way to get it working on the Ouya and it still needs some manual modification on RCBs source files to get it working. I never tested this myself as I don't own an Ouya.

Right now I am trying to get it working on my Android phone and if I will be able to do it I will try to get it done without the need to change any source files by the user. But atm I am not very confident that I will succeed. I am not that deep into Android and right now I guess I am struggling with very basic stuff. Maybe I can tell you more some days/weeks later.

2) If you use the exact same locations for your rom files, artwork and emulators you should be able to copy your config.xml and MyGames.db to another device. You should also copy all artwork that RCB downloaded to the other devices.

If you need any help lemme know... technically setting it up atleast for proper OS detection and pulling what emulators are actually installed wouldnt be much of an issue... I'd say probably best thing to do for OS detection is have it check the version of android installed by doing "getprop ro.build.version.release" and if it returns something its android... for some more "automation" of things possible set it up where it pulls the list of packages installed via "pm list packages" and then if it matches any to a pre-configured emulator list it'll put those under selectable emulators.

This "pre-configured" emulator list should be able to be selected from a path if the user needs to ( for incase a emulator dev changes package names or intents ).... I was thinking maybe inside of it it could have them configured something to the effect of this?

Code:
package:paulscode.android.mupen64plus.free=start -n paulscode.android.mupen64plus.free/paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.MainActivity -a android.intent.action.VIEW -eu Uri "file://%rom%"

something to that effect.

As for the other issue... just make it state utf-8 if android is selected.

----------------edit:

Oh also.... although my guide is written with Ouya slightly in mind ( since the only functional decently powered device I have atm is the Ouya... ) the guide can be applied to pretty much any device... the only exception is with mupen64+ and retroarch ( both easy fixes )