Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- malte - 2010-12-10

luke255 Wrote:Would the resurrectionxtras torrents be compatible with RCB (after creating a suitable config.xml)?
As Tomkun said, they are mostly compatible (RCB does not support manuals and maps but all the other stuff). To get xtras game descriptions imported, you will need the description files and a valid parserConfig. Check this for more info. If you have trouble to get all this together in a working config.xml just ask and I am sure you will get help.

carabalb Wrote:Is there any way to have a static background for all roms in a collection in the mainview for example? Everytime i try to define a media path with a specific image name like "snesbackground.png" doesn't work, but %GAME% does.
Maybe the same problem that hikaricore already reported. I totally forgot about that. Will check it again.

But I guess the way to get static artwork is a bit unhandy atm. I think I have to rework the handling some day.

- Tomkun - 2010-12-10

I'll be happy to help anyone who needs it, although with the new 'wizard', I think most people should manage by themselves from now on.

On a related note, is it possible to start the wizard without starting from scratch? Say for example I want to add a new emulator in the future?

- HollywoodZero - 2010-12-10

malte Wrote:@mcborzu: Very nice! Thanks a lot again.

I don't understand. If your artwork files and the rom files are named the same, this should already work. And when RCB downloads artwork it names the files the same as the rom file. Or maybe I just misunderstand this one?

Hello Malte,

I see your point. My proposition was to force people to use Goodxx names for the roms so it gets easier for everybody to create synopsys, image and every other fileset without mismatch with the games names. But you don't want to force people to use those name, this is your choice, you do the work, I respect it.

I'm going to test the 0.79 and I will post bug reports if I find any.

Once again, thanks for the job !

- malte - 2010-12-11

srsobieraj Wrote:Sorry to interject, but has anyone in this thread tried the Advanced Launcher Application (ALA)?

It looks like it provides a similar feature set and I was merely curious as to what experience ALA provides versus RCB.

The addition of a full-featured ROM browser seems to be in full swing, as both ALA and RCB are on the front page of the Script Devel page!
Maybe I am not the one who should answer this question but I will try to be objectiveBig Grin

Atm RCB has some more features than ALA (automatic scraping, video support, offline scrapers, game filters, ...) but you have to edit a configuration file to get certain features working (lot of users don't like this). I think ALA is supposed to be more easy to use but maybe less flexible and powerful.

But both addons are developed continously and especially ALA is growing fast. So I guess that in some weeks ALA will have caught up with features and RCB may be a bit easier to use.

The main difference that will persist: ALA is a plugin, RCB is a script. That means RCB has to define its own views and ALA uses the available views of the selected skin. Pro for RCB: A new feature like video playback or new filters controls can be shipped with the script and will be available in all skins. Con: RCB HAS to define views for every available skin or it will not share the look and feel of the selected skin. Atm there are only skins for Confluence, Night and Carmichael. In other skins it may look a bit off.

If you want to use a new feature in ALA you are dependent that this feature is available in the selected skin. The new stuff like fanart and game descriptions is only available in some skins like night, alaska revisited and some more. I am sure that the others will follow but this has to happen again if there will be other new features. But the pro for ALA is that you have the same look and feel for your games as for your movies in all skins.

Tomkun Wrote:On a related note, is it possible to start the wizard without starting from scratch? Say for example I want to add a new emulator in the future?
Not now. But it will be available soon.

HollywoodZero Wrote:My proposition was to force people to use Goodxx names for the roms so it gets easier for everybody to create synopsys, image and every other fileset without mismatch with the games names.
I don't want to force anybody but of course you should be able to use these filenames. There was a bug in the previous versions with importing image names with [] in the file name. I hope this is fixed in 0.7.9.

- malte - 2010-12-12

Planning this for a long time and in the last days I finally started to play around with fraps & co.

Here is the first result: RCB video "tutorial" (youtube)

Still needs some rework but it is a nice possibility to show this in action.

- HollywoodZero - 2010-12-12

Hi Malte,

I've been using RCB 0.79 for three days now and it is working great ! There is just the "Cancel" function of "Import Games" that is not working when using the online scrapper (maybe it is only happening on my computer).

I'm just a bit confused on some points now:

- How do you chose the %GAME% name ? Is it the one in the synopsis file or is it the one from the .nfo file or is it one you get while scrapping online ?

- Are the .nfo files used when using the local scrapper ? If yes, what happens if I have have a synopsis file with a description for a game that already has a .nfo file, with a different description, does it get updated ?

- Why do you check crc when working with online scrappers ? Do you use this for identifying the games online or do you use the filename ?

- Apparently the synopsis is stored in the .db file, since you have now this .nfo file, why not load it dynamically as you do for picture files ? It would make it easier to update.

Best regards,

HollywoodZero

- wimpy - 2010-12-12

malte Wrote:Planning this for a long time and in the last days I finally started to play around with fraps & co.

Here is the first result: RCB video "tutorial" (youtube)

Still needs some rework but it is a nice possibility to show this in action.

ah very nice. alot will enjoy these Smile

- wimpy - 2010-12-12

HollywoodZero Wrote:- Apparently the synopsis is stored in the .db file, since you have now this .nfo file, why not load it dynamically as you do for picture files ? It would make it easier to update.
HollywoodZero

i'm wondering about this aswell. would a solution reading files instead of db help on the browsing speed?

- malte - 2010-12-13

HollywoodZero Wrote:I've been using RCB 0.79 for three days now and it is working great ! There is just the "Cancel" function of "Import Games" that is not working when using the online scrapper (maybe it is only happening on my computer).
Yes, the Cancel is a known problem here, too. I am not sure if it is XBMC or RCB who should handle this. I will have to dig into this.

HollywoodZero Wrote:- How do you chose the %GAME% name ? Is it the one in the synopsis file or is it the one from the .nfo file or is it one you get while scrapping online ?
It searches for both: The name of the rom file and the name that is found by the first scraper.

HollywoodZero Wrote:- Are the .nfo files used when using the local scrapper ? If yes, what happens if I have have a synopsis file with a description for a game that already has a .nfo file, with a different description, does it get updated ?
The nfo files are always created if the "Create nfo file"-option is set. They are used to save time on a reimport and as an option to edit game data. As there is no game editing UI atm and all info is stored in DB this is the only option to add or edit game infos.

All scrapers that you define in config.xml are used in sequence and all found results will be mixed together. If the first scraper finds the game RCB uses all info that is provided by this scraper. The next scraper only fills up missing data.

You also have to define the local nfo scraper if you want the nfo files to be scraped (it is not present by default):
Code:
<RomCollection id="1" name="SNES">
    <scraper name="local nfo"/>
    <scraper name="thevideogamedb.com"/>
    <scraper name="thegamesdb.net" />
    <scraper name="mobygames.com" platform="15"/>
    <scraper name="giantbomb.com"/>
</RomCollection>

HollywoodZero Wrote:- Why do you check crc when working with online scrappers ? Do you use this for identifying the games online or do you use the filename ?
Both. Some sites provide game search by crc and some by names. Also some synopsis files use crc values.

HollywoodZero Wrote:- Apparently the synopsis is stored in the .db file, since you have now this .nfo file, why not load it dynamically as you do for picture files ? It would make it easier to update.
I think it is faster to store things in DB and it is easier to implement the filtering (genre, year, publisher, ...). Updating is a problem, thats true. But with the nfo files you have the option to update data, this was not present in earlier versions. I think there will be some edit UI in the future but this is a long waySmile

wimpy Wrote:i'm wondering about this aswell. would a solution reading files instead of db help on the browsing speed?
No, I think it will decrease speed. Do you really think it is still that slow? I am quite satisfied with the new version. But ofc there is always some "headroom".

'Script failed!' - elcid20 - 2010-12-13

Hey, I'm getting a "Script Failed" when I try to launch RCB. I've scoured the threads but couldn't find a solution. I'm using Dharma and I've tried installing RCB via the browser and ZIP file.

Any suggestions?

- carabalb - 2010-12-13

elcid20 Wrote:Hey, I'm getting a "Script Failed" when I try to launch RCB. I've scoured the threads but couldn't find a solution. I'm using Dharma and I've tried installing RCB via the browser and ZIP file.

Any suggestions?

You can start off by posting your xbmc.log file. To make things easier you might want to delete the existing log file and reproduce the error then post it up. A lot of people use pastebin.com to post their logs too.

- HollywoodZero - 2010-12-13

Hi Malte,

Thanks for all those answers !

I was not asking for an edit UI, I really prefer to modify xml by hand.

I see your point why you store those data in the db, I haden't thought of the filtering features and you're right, it is much faster and easier with the db.

I will continue to play with your fantastic plugin.

Regards,

HollywoodZero

- zippenpipper - 2010-12-14

I dont mean to ask what may be a very obvious question, but whenever I start the program after the config.xml creation wizard, I get a loading screen that looks like this :

view: info 2

retrieved 0 items

If I hit cancel, I am on the rom browsing screen however nothing is displayed besides the system I tried to import roms for. I am completely new to this, I am using snes9x or project 64. my parameters were %ROM% and my file extensions were r*.smc and .n64 . I have the paths for the emulators on the .exe files. What this program is currently lacking is a basic tutorial/troubleshooting walkthrough.

I am running 9.11

- malte - 2010-12-14

zippenpipper Wrote:I dont mean to ask what may be a very obvious question, but whenever I start the program after the config.xml creation wizard, I get a loading screen that looks like this :

view: info 2

retrieved 0 items

If I hit cancel, I am on the rom browsing screen however nothing is displayed besides the system I tried to import roms for. I am completely new to this, I am using snes9x or project 64. my parameters were %ROM% and my file extensions were r*.smc and .n64 . I have the paths for the emulators on the .exe files.
After the config.xml creation wizard it should ask you if you want to import games. What happens if you select "Yes"? (It should start a progress dialog showing the games that are imported.)

Please post your config.xml and an XBMC log after trying to import games.

Quote:What this program is currently lacking is a basic tutorial/troubleshooting walkthrough.
There already are some tuts and walkthroughs:
"tutorial" video
First use guide
Test scenarios (online scraping and local data)

I update the wiki quite frequently, so please tell me what you are missing or don't understand. (There may be some broken links in the wiki because I just reworked the complete structure but I am on it)

- zippenpipper - 2010-12-14

OK, I am now running the most recent darma build as well as Rom Collection Browser 0.7.9

I can enter/exit the program easily however it doesnt appear to even try to import any files.

config.xml

Code:
- <config>
- <RomCollections>
- <RomCollection id="1" name="SNES">
  <emulatorCmd>A:\My Applications\snes9x.exe</emulatorCmd>
  <emulatorParams>%ROM%</emulatorParams>
  <romPath>A:\My Games\SNES\ROMs\*.smc</romPath>
  <mediaPath type="boxfront">A:\My Games\SNES\boxfront\%GAME%.*</mediaPath>
  <mediaPath type="boxback">A:\My Games\SNES\boxback\%GAME%.*</mediaPath>
  <mediaPath type="cartridge">A:\My Games\SNES\cartridge\%GAME%.*</mediaPath>
  <mediaPath type="screenshot">A:\My Games\SNES\screenshot\%GAME%.*</mediaPath>
  <mediaPath type="fanart">A:\My Games\SNES\fanart\%GAME%.*</mediaPath>
  <ignoreOnScan>False</ignoreOnScan>
  <searchGameByCRC>True</searchGameByCRC>
  <descFilePerGame>True</descFilePerGame>
  <imagePlacing>gameinfobig</imagePlacing>
  <scraper name="thevideogamedb.com" />
  <scraper name="thegamesdb.net" replaceKeyString="" replaceValueString="" />
  <scraper name="giantbomb.com" replaceKeyString="" replaceValueString="" />
  <scraper name="mobygames.com" platform="15" replaceKeyString="" replaceValueString="" />
  </RomCollection>
  </RomCollections>
- <FileTypes>
- <FileType id="1" name="boxfront">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="2" name="boxback">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="3" name="cartridge">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="4" name="screenshot">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="5" name="fanart">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="6" name="action">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="7" name="title">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="8" name="3dbox">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="9" name="romcollection">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="10" name="developer">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="11" name="publisher">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
- <FileType id="12" name="gameplay">
  <type>image</type>
  <parent>game</parent>
  </FileType>
  </FileTypes>
- <ImagePlacing>
- <fileTypeFor name="gameinfobig">
  <fileTypeForGameList>boxfront</fileTypeForGameList>
  <fileTypeForGameList>screenshot</fileTypeForGameList>
  <fileTypeForGameListSelected>boxfront</fileTypeForGameListSelected>
  <fileTypeForGameListSelected>screenshot</fileTypeForGameListSelected>
  <fileTypeForMainViewBackground>fanart</fileTypeForMainViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForMainViewBackground>boxfront</fileTypeForMainViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForMainViewBackground>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>boxfront</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>fanart</fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>boxfront</fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>screenshot</fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>boxfront</fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>screenshot</fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoView1>boxfront</fileTypeForGameInfoView1>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoView2>boxback</fileTypeForGameInfoView2>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoView3>cartridge</fileTypeForGameInfoView3>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoView4>screenshot</fileTypeForGameInfoView4>
  </fileTypeFor>
- <fileTypeFor name="gameinfobigVideo">
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>boxfront</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>
  <fileTypeForMainViewVideoWindowBig>gameplay</fileTypeForMainViewVideoWindowBig>
  <fileTypeForMainViewVideoFullscreen>gameplay</fileTypeForMainViewVideoFullscreen>
  <fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>screenshot</fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>
  </fileTypeFor>
- <fileTypeFor name="gameinfosmall">
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperLeft>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperLeft>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperRight>boxfront</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperRight>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerLeft>cartridge</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerLeft>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerRight>boxback</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerRight>
  </fileTypeFor>
- <fileTypeFor name="gameinfosmallVideo">
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperLeft>screenshot</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperLeft>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperRight>boxfront</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperRight>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerLeft>cartridge</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerLeft>
  <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerRight>boxback</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoLowerRight>
  <fileTypeForMainViewVideoWindowSmall>gameplay</fileTypeForMainViewVideoWindowSmall>

I removed the final portion so that this would fit the character limit. if that is a problem I can include it in another reply.