Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- DigiTech - 2011-04-18

malte Wrote:New test version available:
Ok, thanks for reading all this.Smile As you may have seen most of these features are quite special and not all users will benefit from it. But some of them really made my XBMC gaming experience a lot better. I hope some of you like to try it out and report any issues and suggestions here.

Have fun,
malte

thanks for the hard work malte and btw there are really cool ideas on this version (save states can be launch) i liked that one, i will find some time to try them out all the other possibilities.

- DigiTech - 2011-04-18

oxyris Wrote:Cool, that worked!

Also, what is the recommended N64 emulator to use with RCB? I've been using project64 on my laptop but it doesn't seem to have a commandline?

edit: Is there some option in RCB to purge the game data base and the RCB settings (i.e. remove a ROM collection)?

I use Project64 v1.60 and yes it supports commandline, you only have to use %ROM% in the parameters, try to adjust your project64 on his own GUI prior to use in RCB, select the option when you load a rom go to fullscreen and select your rom directory form the menu.

There are lots of video plguins to try with this emu but i recommend the default one more compatibility with roms i think.

About the option to purge RCB as far as i know you can only delete games one by one, or edit them by pressing c on your keyboard,you cant delete a full collection, yet.

- malte - 2011-04-18

Quote:1. Is there a way to view images like boxback, screenshot, cartridge in fullscreen in the info mode?
Not on-the-fly. You could set one of these images as background image in this view. See this wiki page for more info.

Quote:2. Is there a way to scrape extra info from sites like mobygames like reviews, rating, advertising, players, etc...?
I guess I am already scraping everything that is available on these sites. If I missed some parts, please show me a game that is providing the info that is missing in RCB.

Quote:3. Is RCB compatible with night purity?
Yes and no. If a skin does not provide its own RCB skin files, RCB will be launched with the default Confluence skin. So it will work but not look like Night Purity.

There are specific views available for Night. I am not sure what the differences between Night and Purity are, but maybe you can try to copy the Night skin files to your Purity skin folder. But these skins don't support the image placing options mentioned in the above link for example.

- malte - 2011-04-20

I made a new package of game descriptions including all available emuxtras synopsis files with a working RCB parser config file.

You can get it here (5MB). All files will work with the "_parserConfig.xml", only the Amiga synopsis needs the "_parserConfig_Amiga.xml".

Included platforms (platform, number of games):
Code:
Atari 2600             774
Atari 7800             100
Atari 800            1165
ADAM                  189
Amiga                  328
Chip8                  49
GBA                2386
Intellivision             157
Lynx                  87
MSX                 693
N64                 180
NES                1787
NGP                   9
NGPC                  76
Odyssey 2              91
PCE                 464
Pokemini              11
Sega 32X              39
Sega Game Gear             311
Sega Genesis             968
Sega Master System         320
Sega SG-1000              67
Sega VMU              61
SNES                1153
Spectrum             582
Supervision              67
Virtualboy              29
Wonderswan              33

- Rodimus80 - 2011-04-22

When it comes to SNES, I'm using SNES9x. Problem is it won't start Full Screen. I go into the options and check it. But everytime I reload it goes back to window mode. Any suggestions?

- Twinnie - 2011-04-22

I've been trying to get RCB working for a while now and while googling for a nearby cliff to throw myself off I thought I'd try my luck here.

First problem is that whenever I perform a scan on all my nicely named roms it's not getting any artwork for any of them (I have over 800 roms and it doesn't get art for a single one) but all the descriptions work fine. The log reports some error message pertaining to the individual properties of each rom, something like 'gameboxfront'. I can give an exact error when I get to my machine tomorrow. Since they have a description and it's finding the files it's not such a problem for, something that I can come back to as long as I can play roms.....

...which I can't. Whenever I try to play a rom the screen flickers and it briefly shows the same image that's already on the screen but at about one quarter of the size in the the top left. Then it flicks back to the normal menu screen as if I hadn't pressed anything. I checked the log and the path it's running to load the rom is all messed up. The parameter containing the file path seems to have one of the roms scanning paths (like "smb://terastation/roms/snes/*.rom") prefixing the actual path to the rom so the actual parameter would look something like "smb://terastation/roms/snes/*.romsmb://terastation/roms/snes/actraiser.smc".

I've got five days off starting tomorrow so I'm determined to nail this before I'm back at work but I'm hoping it doesn't come down the me going through the python script as I've never touched it before.

Thanks for any help.

- malte - 2011-04-22

Rodimus80 Wrote:When it comes to SNES, I'm using SNES9x. Problem is it won't start Full Screen. I go into the options and check it. But everytime I reload it goes back to window mode. Any suggestions?
Not sure, I don't use snes9x. Maybe it tries to write the settings to a config file and has no write access to do so? Can you change other settings than screen mode?

Twinnie Wrote:I've been trying to get RCB working for a while now and while googling for a nearby cliff to throw myself off I thought I'd try my luck here.
Good choice. But I feel some pressure to succeed nowBig Grin

Twinnie Wrote:First problem is that whenever I perform a scan on all my nicely named roms it's not getting any artwork for any of them (I have over 800 roms and it doesn't get art for a single one) but all the descriptions work fine. The log reports some error message pertaining to the individual properties of each rom, something like 'gameboxfront'. I can give an exact error when I get to my machine tomorrow. Since they have a description and it's finding the files it's not such a problem for, something that I can come back to as long as I can play roms.....
Yes, a log would be good. Can you check the paths that you specified to store the image data? Did RCB create the sub folders (boxfront, boxback, etc.)? Maybe it has no write access to these folders.

Twinnie Wrote:...which I can't. Whenever I try to play a rom the screen flickers and it briefly shows the same image that's already on the screen but at about one quarter of the size in the the top left. Then it flicks back to the normal menu screen as if I hadn't pressed anything. I checked the log and the path it's running to load the rom is all messed up. The parameter containing the file path seems to have one of the roms scanning paths (like "smb://terastation/roms/snes/*.rom") prefixing the actual path to the rom so the actual parameter would look something like "smb://terastation/roms/snes/*.romsmb://terastation/roms/snes/actraiser.smc".
That is really strange. Can you upload the log file of these launching procedure? And additionally your config.xml (its in your RCB userdata folder)?

- Twinnie - 2011-04-22

Thanks for your interest malte.

Earlier today I had a go at completely deleting RCB from my machine because I noticed it was using old filenames for some reason even after reimporting and deleting the games database. I think the artwork problem may be coming from the path issue I'm experiencing as well as after looking through the log I noticed that on the import when it's messing around with the directories the problem popped up again. Here's a chunk I took out of my log file:

--------------------------------------------------------

12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: NfoFile already exists. Wont overwrite file: smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/2020 Super Baseball.nfo
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: FileType: boxfront
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Get thumb from online source
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: using key: Filetypeboxfront
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Filetypeboxfront : 'Filetypeboxfront'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: resolve path: smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/%GAME%.*
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: resolved path from game name: smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/2020 Super Baseball.*
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/2020%20Super%20Baseball%2e%2a'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/2020 Super Baseball.*
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: resolved path from rom folder name: smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES.* :confused2:
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb%3a/terastation/media/Roms'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb://terastation/media/Roms
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb%3a/terastation/media/Roms/SNES%2e%2a'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES.*
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront'
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront
12:37:06 T:2821671792 M:918380544 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Boxart/boxfront/smb%3a/terastation/media/Roms'

--------------------------------------------------------

You can see the first occurrence of it on the line marked with the smiley.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

*edit*

opps, forgot the config.xml:

http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/WQE

I haven't edited this manually or anything in case you're wondering.

- malte - 2011-04-22

It may be a problem with the way XBMC represents the path to a fileserver. Several users reported similar problems. I guess I have to handle smb paths different in RCB as it always seems to cause errors. Check these two posts if the solution works in your scenario:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=708051&postcount=960
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=579877&postcount=270

Another idea is this one:
Code:
This looks like an access problem. Did you check if RCB was able to create the sub folders boxfront, boxback etc. below "/SNES/Boxart/"? (As you see in config.xml RCB wants to store the different artwork types in different folders)

The part that you marked with the smiley seems to be a bug in the script, but not related to your problem. It is a special case handling that causes an error. I guess you can ignore it but I will add it to my list to fix it the next version.

- Twinnie - 2011-04-22

Thanks malte,

I did notice that it hadn't created those subfolders and I thought it was something to do with it the scrapers not actually getting any boxart in the first place. RCB seems perfectly capable of creating the NFO files alongside the roms and the NAS box has access restrictions completely disabled so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to create the boxart folders. Would it work if I were to add the folders in manually or should I just store them locally on the system drive?

As for the other things I'll have a look at them later, right now I'm trying to solder together a new infra-red receiver.

*edit*

Creating the folders manually seems to have done the trick and it's busy populating them now, I'll have to dig into the whole issue with launching roms now. Looking at those other solutions I think I may have tried setting up the file path in the usual Windows \\terastation\blah blah by editing config.xml before I found out ow to add sources that would come up in the wizard. Can't remember what happened but it's gonna take a while for this boxart scraping to happen so I'll look into it when it's done.#

Thanks again.

*another edit*

Here's the log from when I try to run a file:

22:26:34 T:2792004464 M:916328448 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: cmd: "/usr/bin/zsnes" -m -s "smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/*.rom/smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Spider-Man.smc"

I assume that will cause a problem. I'll try the two fixes you posted to see if they do anything but I'm not too sure they will.

- malte - 2011-04-23

Twinnie Wrote:Here's the log from when I try to run a file:

22:26:34 T:2792004464 M:916328448 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: cmd: "/usr/bin/zsnes" -m -s "smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/*.rom/smb://terastation/media/Roms/SNES/Spider-Man.smc"

I assume that will cause a problem. I'll try the two fixes you posted to see if they do anything but I'm not too sure they will.
This looks like another bug. I will try to reproduce it here to fix the problem in future. But I guess it is related to the wrong smb path handling. So I hope that using one of the work arounds will fix the problem.

You should delete and rebuild your MyGames.db. But use the "local nfo" scraper when you import your games again. This will save you a lot of time.

- Twinnie - 2011-04-23

Thanks again malte, although I still can't play roms this seems to have fixed the problems I was having with RCB. When I tried to run a rom it did the same thing but took longer doing it and from the log file it appears that zsnes was sent the correct parameter this time so I assume I have to set it up first or something.

The first post about setting up a NetBIOS path didn't work and just told me that it hadn't found any files in the folder. The second one about mounting the remote location did it but it appears that XBMC Live isn't equipped to do that out of the box. For anyone else who needs it here's what I ended up typing:

aptitude install smbfs
mkdir /mnt/terastation
mount -t cifs //terastation/media /mnt/terastation

After that it asked for my password and I just left it blank as I have no password, but if you needed to log in then google it as you would enter username and password in the mount command. Also, I did all this as root so if you're behaving yourself you'll probably have to sudo everything.

This has worked really well and I even changed the things that were working over to the local mount and a few more error messages disappeared.

Thanks for the help.

- DigiTech - 2011-04-27

Anyone knows a good Psp Emulator that supports command line? Im not pretty sure if psp emulation can be done..at least at a minimum playable way yet.

- vihil - 2011-04-29

I was getting this.
Code:
ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/vihil/.xbmc/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/default.py", line 42, in <module>
                                                env2 = platform.machine()
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/platform.py", line 1319, in machine
                                                return uname()[4]
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/platform.py", line 1249, in uname
                                                processor = _syscmd_uname('-p','')
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/platform.py", line 1006, in _syscmd_uname
                                                rc = f.close()
                                            IOError: (10, 'No child processes')
INFO: -->End of Python script error report<--
If I remove the 64bit check and just hardcode it, rest works fine.

$ python2 --version
Python 2.7.1

[e] Should've read more than 1 page back Smile Saw that already someone else had the same issue. Race condition?
[e2] the machine retrieval part runs fine by its own:
Code:
import platform
env2 = platform.machine()
if(env2 == "x86_64"):
  env = "Linux64"

print env
Linux64

- malte - 2011-04-30

Yes, it was already reported but thanks for reporting it again. First time I forgot to add it to my listSmile.

I am not sure what happens here but it seems to be related to python version > 2.5/2.6 in combination with XBMCs builtin modules ore something like this.